Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
We're driving out there from Austin to Sedona and Moab Mid-March next year. Itinerary is done but keep changing the trails we want to do in Moab. So excited for this road trip. We thought about EJS but the large crowds is a turn off for us.
Let us know how Sedona goes, I'm thinking about doing one or two trails there during our trip in may and wondering if its worth the detour on the way home. Thinking about Broken Arrow and Schnebly Hill.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
you should hit San hollow near st George/Zion/hurricane it’s not far from vegas and on the way to Moab
'll keep that in mind for a future trip. I love Springdale, UT just outside of Zion, it's one of my favorite stops. This trip is all locked in and we will be headed directly to Williams, Gallup then Moab, then Monument valley, GC and back to Vegas

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So here is an update on our November Moab trip. Its was full of surprises. Our plane was 3 hour late into Vegas due to overcast and Rain. Yes overcast and Rain in Las Vegas. The pilot tried to land twice and came within hundreds of feet to the ground before pulling up like a fighter pilot because he couldn't see the runway. Diverted to Ontario international airport in Rancho Cucamonga California for fuel then back to Vegas. Finally landed then got on the shuttle to Fox Rental car to pick up a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Arrived at Fox rental car and it was smooth sailing through the paperwork and the agent was great. She told me to select any Jeep on the lot and drive it to the exit and show my paperwork. I walked into the lot and saw 6 jeeps lined up so I began inspecting them. All the jeeps had mix-matched tires, They were bald as hell and some tires look like they came off a lawn mower. They were all street tires except for one jeep which had 4 great looking AT tires and a new spare that was also an AT tire. I would have taken that jeep except for a sign in the windshield that said "Dead Battery" I turn to look around the lot and noticed a jeep that was just washed coming out of the service area. I walked over and it looked ok and all 4 tires were the same size brand and wear. There was alot of wear on those tires and the vehicle had 53,000 miles on it so im sure those were original.

I settled for that jeep and hit the road worrying how many flats I would have while driving on hard pavement, I knew I had a High chance of getting numerous flats while driving on dirt roads in Moab. Well I took that chance and hoped for the best. we got to I-40 and headed east to Williams AZ and experienced a snow storm. We weren't planning for that. The jeep did well despite the worn tires and we made it to Williams for the night. Next day we drove to Gallup NM. and stayed at the El Rancho Hotel where all the old movie stars stayed, Great place and the gentleman with the cowboy hat that walks the lobby is the Hotel Historian, "Leroy McCray", wonderful man and a pleasure to talk with.

The next morning we got up to drive out to Chaco canyon and saw that our jeep had a flat tire. A flat tire from sitting in the parking lot overnight. Wow this was a great sign of what was to come. We drove the car up town to a firestone dealer on Coal st and met the Service Advisor. Her name was "Mikkicee", we told her our situation and that this was a rental car. She sprung into action and called the rental car company, While on hold, she walked out to the jeep and took a look at the flat tire then inspected the others, she took some measurements and returned. She waited patiently for the rental car company to answer her call and then commenced to negotiate on our behalf. She explained to them that all 4 tires were below DOT safety standards in tread depth and that they all needed to be replaced. She got us 4 brand new AT tires put on the rental jeep at no cost to us. were able to continue our vacation without any worries of a flat tire. Mikkicee saved our vacation. If you ever have tire trouble in Gallup then go see her, she knew her stuff.

The rest of the trip was great. in Moab we hired a Guide from Outlaw 4x4 and did a Udrive. Garrett was our guide and he did a great job of instructing me how to negotiate obstacles on Hell's Revenge. He taught me alot about the capabilities of the JLUR and when to engage my lockers and what to expect on sandy sliprock. when we go out in may with our own JLUR we will hire a guide from that outfitter to take us out to poison spider and another challenging trail. We also met some Jeepers from Colorado who were there hitting a few trails. Its nice to get up in the morning, have breakfast and discuss the previous days activities with some folk with a common interest.

It was quite an adventure.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When in May? We are headed there then too.
Hello, Mr. 2-Door. ;) I might try to get there with you. Your Rubicon can go places I wouldn't take my Sahara but there are trails I could handle?

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Drytellsr, the fact that you found anything resembling customer service or even someone who could form full sentences in Gallup is astonishing.

I would have purchased a lottery ticket right then and there.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello, Mr. 2-Door. ;) I might try to get there with you. Your Rubicon can go places I wouldn't take my Sahara but there are trails I could handle?
tons of awesome trails in Moab you can take your Sahara. Long Canyon, Potash rd., Hurrah pass, do Willow springs road and stop at the Dinosaur tracks

Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
We'll be hitting Moab May 28th as part of a 5 day Escapees event, then extending 7 days into the Jeep Safari.
EJS is in April this year, do you mean Jamboree?

Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a relatively stock Sport and I've done quite a few trails here, including Fins n Things, Hells Revenge, Poison Spider, Elephant Hill, and many more. Your equipment can do a lot, but it's all about the driver!

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a relatively stock Sport and I've done quite a few trails here, including Fins n Things, Hells Revenge, Poison Spider, Elephant Hill, and many more. Your equipment can do a lot, but it's all about the driver!
Well as you can tell I am a Newbie. Been following forum and learning as I go. Been mudding here and very moderate trails. Moab would be a blast I am sure.

Chad1433

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Well as you can tell I am a Newbie. Been following forum and learning as I go. Been mudding here and very moderate trails. Moab would be a blast I am sure.
It definitely is! If you do make the pilgrimage, stop by our shop at Barlow Adventures and any one of us will walk you through the trails best suited to your skills and direct you to stuff that will help up your game as well.

Consider this: The Wrangler, as well as all other Jeep models, are tested here often. We work with Jeep engineers on a regular basis and I know where they take the vehicles, stock, to test. The Renegade was designed to specifically run Fins n Things right off the lot. I've talked to the head of the design team for the new Wrangler and he's a regular visitor to Moab to test and scout trails. The point is, your Jeep was made to do trails here, no matter what model.

Sponsored

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
EJS is in April this year, do you mean Jamboree?
Nope, it's an Escapees event that happens to bump up against the Safari.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It definitely is! If you do make the pilgrimage, stop by our shop at Barlow Adventures and any one of us will walk you through the trails best suited to your skills and direct you to stuff that will help up your game as well.

Consider this: The Wrangler, as well as all other Jeep models, are tested here often. We work with Jeep engineers on a regular basis and I know where they take the vehicles, stock, to test. The Renegade was designed to specifically run Fins n Things right off the lot. I've talked to the head of the design team for the new Wrangler and he's a regular visitor to Moab to test and scout trails. The point is, your Jeep was made to do trails here, no matter what model.
Very Cool, thanks I am going to save your info. :like:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Let us know how Sedona goes, I'm thinking about doing one or two trails there during our trip in may and wondering if its worth the detour on the way home. Thinking about Broken Arrow and Schnebly Hill.
Those are great trail’s just did those two last weekend. What a freaking blast they where! Got my first BOH. While there. Highly recommend both trails. Be ready to love tap the skid plates though on broken arrow also try and hit the trail head by 7am if you don’t wanna get stuck behind the pink Jeep tours

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pics or it didn’t happen.

Sorry I had to.

Sounds like it was an awesome adventure. I’m glad you all enjoyed it!
Pics to follow, and there is a Part 2 to this story if you want to hear it
Sponsored