Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Drytellsr, the fact that you found anything resembling customer service or even someone who could form full sentences in Gallup is astonishing.

I would have purchased a lottery ticket right then and there.
I know, Gallup NM is a very depressed town. We got extremely lucky, that's why i felt it was important to put that little bit of info out there for others who may be in the same situation some day. Its always good to post people or businesses that have aided us in our travels.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those are great trail’s just did those two last weekend. What a freaking blast they where! Got my first BOH. While there. Highly recommend both trails. Be ready to love tap the skid plates though on broken arrow also try and hit the trail head by 7am if you don’t wanna get stuck behind the pink Jeep tours
Thanx, Great info, I will definetly be there before 7

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
On our way to Moab, we will be there Nov 23-27, wondering if anyone else will be there during that time period.

We are also headed back to Moab In May.
Nice but remember it may be very chilly that time of year . We visited Moab last year in October and the winds were strong. I wished I packed some of my winter gear.

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice but remember it may be very chilly that time of year . We visited Moab last year in October and the winds were strong. I wished I packed some of my winter gear.
We were there last year in November. Although it was cold the winds were pretty mild while we were there so it turned out to be great weather for hiking. This year it was the same except for the last 2 days of our stay. The snow came and changed up the scenery for us. we were fortunate to get some winter photos.
KIMG0673.JPG
KIMG0679.JPG

Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
It's nice there in October! I was there mountain biking on the SlickRock trail with the kids just days after Christmas last year. It's a bit colder that time of year.

We'll be going this year around New Years before and/or after, but this time we'll be taking our JL.

20181227_123417.jpg

OP
OP
Drytellsr

Drytellsr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out with it lad!

Part II

So the day that Garrett from Outlaw 4x4 guided us along Hell's revenge, we had great sunny weather and clear skies. the slick rock was dry and perfect for driving over. we were very fortunate to have scheduled a guide for that day because the very next morning we had at least a good 8 inches of snow, as shown in our photos. Hells revenge would have been all snowed over and the slick rock would not be safe for driving over so it was a good thing we got that done the day before.

We spent our day in Arches NP and in Canyonlands NP taking photos of the snow covered scenery. We left Moab the next day and headed for Monument Valley and stayed in the View hotel and drove into the valley. It was a very nice stay with an awesome view of the valley as the sun goes down and rises the next morning. The next day we drove to the Grand Canyon and got a room at the Bright Angle Lodge. cute room but be advised that many national parks do NOT have a TV in their rooms. I'm sure its because your supposed to be out enjoying nature. Parking at the grand canyon lodges and cabins are shared with the visitors at the park so it can be difficult to get a spot close to your room. That night the power went out at exactly 3:20 am. How do I know this? you asked! well I have a CPAP machine that helps me breath at night and when the power goes out, you definitely wake the hell up. I looked out the window and there was at least 18 inches of snow. A blizzard came through overnight and everyone was stranded. Power was out and at 6 am, i walked through the snow to the main lobby and it was quite busy with concerned guests who were stranded without a clue of whats going on. The clerk at the desk said that the campers in the campground were evacuated because of the blizzard conditions and that the only place that may have gas and power would be in Williams AZ. about 60 miles away. They said HWY 64 may be open but the roads within the National park were just getting plowed.

We decided to pack the jeep and take our chances on the road. What the heck, 4 brand new AT tires and 4 wheel drive, we got it made. We also had to be in Las Vegas that night because we had tickets to see Aerosmith. We made it out of the park and drove down Hwy 64. We made it to Williams az. and got fueled up but found out that interstate 40 was shut down. we were stuck in Williams. All the hotels were booked and there was no where to go so we stopped for breakfast. We monitored the Arizona 511 website on our phone to monitor traffic conditions and waited for I-40 to open back up. Finally at about noon, I 40 opened up. We got on the interstate and headed for kingman. We reached Seligman AZ and ended up in stand still traffic. After 2 hours of waiting on the interstate,a State trooper walked by and said that there was a 9 semi pile-up with injuries just ahead and we needed to pull over for recovery vehicles and ambulances. After another hour and a half snow plows had cleared a turn around in the median and we had to backtrack a couple miles to Seligman till they could clear the interstate, which could take another 3 hours. Looking less and less likely that we will see Aerosmith.

While waiting in Seligman we stopped in a pizza place to get something to eat. the waitress was the only one working the tables and she was also the barmaid working in the lounge. She said it would be 2 hours before we got our food and we replied "Were not going anywhere" Rt 66 is an alternate road out of Seligman to Kingman but it was snowed in and unpassable. we were monitoring the AZ 511 to see when the Interstate would open back up and after almost 2 hours it appeared to be back open. we waited for our pizza and it came out looking like a charcoal briquette patty. I looked at the waitress and said "Were not eating that" she said im sorry but its free. I repeated "Were not eating that" she apologized and i still left her a tip because the poor girl was the only one waiting tables at a restaurant where everyone off I-40 pulled into and two grey haired ladies working the kitchen. I couldn't get mad, they tried there best. As we left the restaurant i noticed the line of semi tailights all along the interstate. It was late by this time about 8 pm. the interstate was still shut down. I noticed an AZ rescue vehicle and i pulled up along side and asked them about I-40 and they said it was still closed. I then asked them about RT 66 and they said "Yup, It's open, a plow just went through 20 minutes ago". So we took rt 66 and after and after 90 minutes of slow go driving it all cleared up, the snow was gone and clear sailing into Vegas.

We finally made it to Vegas but missed Aerosmith. What made that so hard was that my daughter spent a thousand dollars on awesome seats for us as a gift and she couldn't get her money back or sell the tickets. Anyway, quite an adventure.
Sponsored