Sponsored

Has anyone installed the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller?

When you push the knob to activate the manual brake option do you get warning lights on the dash?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Ok, have a 2020 JLUR (build date 7/20). Just had Mopar brake controller installed by dealer and same message showing up “service electronic stability code”. Mentioned this prior to install, said they have never seen it. I spoke with dealerships “master technician” who advised me seeing that message is normal after pushing the button and putting the manual brake on the trailer on. Stated putting the manual brake on will not allow the stability control on Jeep to work.
Does this make sense to anyone??
Also, are people getting this message actually hooking up a trailer to see if it actually works?? Appreciate any feedback!
Sponsored

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
This should not be a problem for a JL built in 2020 but there are two bulletins on this, ask them to look it up and perform the reprogram.

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
So to your knowledge is it just a matter of them reprogramming the brake controller?
If you are getting the system errors and dash lights something is not correct, the earlier builds were confirmed that there needs to be an update installed which corrects the issue with system errors and dash warning lights. When the manual brake button is pressed it should not result in warnings or issues.

HTH

Sponsored

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you are getting the system errors and dash lights something is not correct, the earlier builds were confirmed that there needs to be an update installed which corrects the issue with system errors and dash warning lights. When the manual brake button is pressed it should not result in warnings or issues.

HTH
Do you happen to know where I can get something to show the dealer? I agree service warnings should not be showing up but dealership is not acknowledging an issue as of right now. Contacting service manager today. Thanks for the help!

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Ok, so I read all 8 pages of this thread and it looks like this is still an issue with the Mopar Brake Controller.

1) So just trying to clarify that the Mopar Brake Controller comes with a plug and play wiring harness that plugs directly into the factory tow package connector under the steering wheel, BUT its still causing the error messages and needs to be switched out with the Tekonsha 3073-P harness. Correct?

2) I already have the Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller in my 2018 JLU with the correct plug and play wiring harness (3073-P and works perfectly), but I want to put the MOPAR Brake Controller in my "on order" 2021 JLU 4xe. Should I just plan to tell the dealership to use my 3073-P wiring harness from my existing controller?

I guess there is a chance MOPAR might finally fix the issue before shipping the units out.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so I read all 8 pages of this thread and it looks like this is still an issue with the Mopar Brake Controller.

1) So just trying to clarify that the Mopar Brake Controller comes with a plug and play wiring harness that plugs directly into the factory tow package connector under the steering wheel, BUT its still causing the error messages and needs to be switched out with the Tekonsha 3073-P harness. Correct?

2) I already have the Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller in my 2018 JLU with the correct plug and play wiring harness (3073-P and works perfectly), but I want to put the MOPAR Brake Controller in my "on order" 2021 JLU 4xe. Should I just plan to tell the dealership to use my 3073-P wiring harness from my existing controller?

I guess there is a chance MOPAR might finally fix the issue before shipping the units out.

Thanks!!
The service bulletin and reprogramming should resolve any issues with error messages on vehicles built prior to the latest software, the aftermarket connector should not be needed.

The new JKU should have the latest software and should not have an issue, the aftermarket wiring harness should not be needed.

I have read where newer build have not had an issue with the brake controller and have not needed the software updated.

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Does the dial knob light up at all to show how much the brakes are being applied? My Tekonsha P3 controller has a digital display that shows the level of engagement of the brakes each time you press the brake pedal. I was wondering if that white curved line on the Mopar one lights up as you apply the brakes? It doesn't really look like it does. I know my Tekonsha is really high end so I guess I'm used to the bells and whistles on that controller but I'm tired of banging my knee on it and it's kind of unsightly screwed into the dash!

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Altitude
This should not be a problem for a JL built in 2020 but there are two bulletins on this, ask them to look it up and perform the reprogram.
Hi, when did the reprogram come out and do you have the bulletin numbers, thanks.

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
For people that have this working properly, is there any read out on the dash or something that lets you know how much brake is being applied to the trailer? On my JK I had a hopkins which had a little tiny display that gave you brake percentage and it was a nice to see. It also let you know the trailer was hooked up which was really convenient.

Also if you're using it offroad how does the automatic brakes work for that?

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Brewski, I asked a similar question above but no replies so far.

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
The Mopar brake controller does not have a display and does not integrate into the systems of the Jeep for information to be displayed in the cluster or radio, etc. You set your gain per the manual and there is no indication on the level or percentage applied while braking.

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Thanks Derek! This is disappointing since I've become accustomed to being able to see how much brake is being applied (and that it is working!). I'm really on the fence of keeping my Tekonsha P3 controller, but I hate how I hit my knee on it and it just looks clunky hanging under the dash.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
The Mopar brake controller does not have a display and does not integrate into the systems of the Jeep for information to be displayed in the cluster or radio, etc. You set your gain per the manual and there is no indication on the level or percentage applied while braking.
Thanks very helpful. From your response it sounds like a manual unit, but I thought it was also automatic right? where it automatically tunes itself for how much to apply relative to how fast you're braking?

I've seen people ask, but haven't seen answers. Is it lit or no no back lighting to see values in the dark?
Sponsored