Sponsored

Has anyone installed the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller?

When you push the knob to activate the manual brake option do you get warning lights on the dash?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The service bulletin and reprogramming should resolve any issues with error messages on vehicles built prior to the latest software, the aftermarket connector should not be needed.

The new JKU should have the latest software and should not have an issue, the aftermarket wiring harness should not be needed.

I have read where newer build have not had an issue with the brake controller and have not needed the software updated.
The service bulletin and reprogramming should resolve any issues with error messages on vehicles built prior to the latest software, the aftermarket connector should not be needed.

The new JKU should have the latest software and should not have an issue, the aftermarket wiring harness should not be needed.

I have read where newer build have not had an issue with the brake controller and have not needed the software updated.
Hi Derek,
Having a real issue with my dealership who installed by Mopar brake controller. Their saying it’s normal to have error messages with trailer not attached. My build date is July 2020 and from what I have been told through this forum is that the error messages should not be happening. One service bulletin did not apply to me due to my build date. Can you give me the service bulletin your referring to and the specific reprogramming needed. Would love to show my dealership something in writing. Thanks for any help you can provide.
-Mike
Sponsored

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Well, I got it installed... WHEW!! What a PITA, Lots of work But here's the deal.

The Jeep built 03/20 and the controller packaged 09/11/20...the controller works fine BUT, hit the manual brake override and it throws an error "Service Electronic Stability Control". No Christmas Tree of lights on the dash, just a error and everything seems to work. Do a re-start and the code clears.

Guess Mopar still has bugs in the OEM controller. Not sure what I'll do, probably see the dealer.
Having the exact same problem as you. 7/20 build date and new brake controller installed last week by dealership. Did your dealer ever fix the issue or recognize that there was an issue?

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the star publication and TSB information. The atSB shows for the JT, hopefully this would resolve the issue for the JL or at least point the dealership in the right direction.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller? 1689B6CB-B65E-48DB-8369-F7B3912B607E

Attachments

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here is the star publication and TSB information. The atSB shows for the JT, hopefully this would resolve the issue for the JL or at least point the dealership in the right direction.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller? 1689B6CB-B65E-48DB-8369-F7B3912B607E
I really do appreciate your time and effort to post This and will present this to the dealership. My concern is that they will say this bulletin has to do with ABS brakes and not electronic stability control which is the issue I’m having. Thanks again and I will post what they say or do.

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
I really do appreciate your time and effort to post This and will present this to the dealership. My concern is that they will say this bulletin has to do with ABS brakes and not electronic stability control which is the issue I’m having. Thanks again and I will post what they say or do.
When you say you are having an ESC issue, what is happening?

Sponsored

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Altitude
Hi Derek,
Having a real issue with my dealership who installed by Mopar brake controller. Their saying it’s normal to have error messages with trailer not attached. My build date is July 2020 and from what I have been told through this forum is that the error messages should not be happening. One service bulletin did not apply to me due to my build date. Can you give me the service bulletin your referring to and the specific reprogramming needed. Would love to show my dealership something in writing. Thanks for any help you can provide.
-Mike
I will need the reprogramming TSB as well. Seems like my dealership only sees the one TSB not related to representing.

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Press the manual button on brake controller and service messages come on (pictures attached). Have to restart engine to reset.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller? 4C4885CF-DEB6-4E0D-BE83-E4EDD5C0D834

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller? 4C4885CF-DEB6-4E0D-BE83-E4EDD5C0D834

Have the dealer perform the TSB to update the ABS module. Those are the warning, etc. Gladiators were getting prior to the TSB notice.

Zukifever

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR eco-diesel on order
I installed the Tekonsha harness and everything now works as it should.

Sponsored

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I'm currently using the Tekonsha P3 in my 2018 JLU but the wiring harness for it wasn't available until last year as most of you already know. I was using the Curt Wireless Brake Controller (the one that plugs into the back of your tow vehicle in the 7pin outlet) until Tekonsha caught up and made a wirinig harness that fit the new JL. I bought it as soon as I could get it as I was always worried the wireless one was going to fall out on the road. It has been working perfectly for the past year in my 2018.

I was planning to install the MOPAR one in my 2021 4xe when it comes in, but I experienced brake failure on my camper yesterday on the way out to get it serviced. The Tekonsha P3 actually told me "Warning Output Short. No Brakes" in flashing red warning screen. How would you really even know your trailer brakes weren't working with the MOPAR. Sure you might feel they aren't working, but we're not towing really heavy trailers with our Jeeps, so it may go unnoticed for awhile until you needed them in an emergency stop situation and its only then that you realize, crap my trailer brakes aren't working! I think I'm going to stick with the Tekonsha in the new Jeep even though I hate how it looks and i hate drilling holes in my dash! I tried super strong velcro but that didn't work.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone installed the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller? 20210209_132331

Rubi II

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Have the dealer perform the TSB to update the ABS module. Those are the warning, etc. Gladiators were getting prior to the TSB notice.
OMTBiker, just want to say thank you! Your TSB was for Gladiator but dealership investigated further and found recently released new TSB (08-019-21) specifically for wrangler. Dealership performed update and no more dash service lights with or without trailer attached. Thought about using the tekonsha harness but wanted to stick to factory components for warranty. Glad I waited! Thanks again!

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
@Rubi II - Great to hear that the dealership was able to get this taken care of for you.