Sponsored

Has anyone installed the Mopar Trailer Brake Controller?

When you push the knob to activate the manual brake option do you get warning lights on the dash?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
So this wire has not been created by Mopar yet?
The harness from the brake controller module to the trailer wiring plug needs a diode, the Mopar harness does not have the diode which results in the dash errors and safety systems being disabled until the next key cycle. The issue is not happening on all vehicles. I am trying to figure out if there is a pattern between options and build dates.
Sponsored

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Altitude
The harness from the brake controller module to the trailer wiring plug needs a diode, the Mopar harness does not have the diode which results in the dash errors and safety systems being disabled until the next key cycle. The issue is not happening on all vehicles. I am trying to figure out if there is a pattern between options and build dates.
Perfect, when I get my Jeep back tomorrow, I will try it and give you the info you need.

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
I thought in order to set a controller you have to adjust the controller by driving slowly with the trailer attached and press the brake button on the controller. When the brakes are adjusted thats the dialed in number. So if you adjust the brake controller this way the dash lights up. Hmmm that isnt making sence on how the controller and Jeep are interacting.
It works like most other controllers, drive slowly and turn the gain up, apply the brakes, if you feel drag without locking the trailer then it is good. The only time the manual button is needed is if you are trying to reduce trailer sway at speed or going down a steep high speed grade.

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perfect, when I get my Jeep back tomorrow, I will try it and give you the info you need.
Dealership overbooked and I picked it up with the job partially done. I have a new appointment on November 23rd. I have provided the Service Manager with the details on problems with the controller and my experience with the service. He is interested in seeing if the controller will work or not and why. His bulletins that he read are unclear. I will post results on November 24th.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Dealership overbooked and I picked it up with the job partially done. I have a new appointment on November 23rd. I have provided the Service Manager with the details on problems with the controller and my experience with the service. He is interested in seeing if the controller will work or not and why. His bulletins that he read are unclear. I will post results on November 24th.
If your Wrangler came with the trailer tow and auxiliary switch group (ADH) and they tell you that you need the harness referenced in the directions or that your Jeep needs programming they are wrong. The additional harness is not needed and there is no programming needed.

Hope this helps.

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your Wrangler came with the trailer tow and auxiliary switch group (ADH) and they tell you that you need the harness referenced in the directions or that your Jeep needs programming they are wrong. The additional harness is not needed and there is no programming needed.

Hope this helps.
I do have the auxilary and ADH, however the bulletins from Chrysler where a bit unclear. So the Manager is going to see if it works on my Jeep and the differences. Nothing like explaining to a customer that they can't get an item to work. This will also be good to know for future purchases and orders. What ever they want to do with the information is up to them.

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
When they test the controller, make sure they do not have their foot on the brake pedal.

Engine running, no foot on brake pedal, press manual brake for the trailer brake.

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When they test the controller, make sure they do not have their foot on the brake pedal.

Engine running, no foot on brake pedal, press manual brake for the trailer brake.
What if your foot is on the brake?

Sponsored

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Perfect, this looks like it's going to be a fail. Thank you

OP
OP
OMTBiker

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
This is now a confirmed issue with Jeep and is based on build date.

044DD5A4-59F8-4180-B3FB-907D1B3E90FF.jpeg

RonAZ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a 2018. This bulletin could also be called "Mopar Trailer Tow Package". This has been happening since the JL came out. I do not have the harness with the diode and mine throws the codes and lights. I am going to order the the new harness to see if this solves the problem.
Why they sold trailer tow packages without a brake controller or the ability to add one that does not generate errors is hard to understand. State Laws require trailer brakes when towing 3500# trailers that the JL is rated for. The same engineers are going to build an electric powered Wrangler, this should work out well.

Altitude2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2018. This bulletin could also be called "Mopar Trailer Tow Package". This has been happening since the JL came out. I do not have the harness with the diode and mine throws the codes and lights. I am going to order the the new harness to see if this solves the problem.
Why they sold trailer tow packages without a brake controller or the ability to add one that does not generate errors is hard to understand. State Laws require trailer brakes when towing 3500# trailers that the JL is rated for. The same engineers are going to build an electric powered Wrangler, this should work out well.
I agree, bought this Jeep to tow travel trailer. Pretty agitated right now...