Hardtop owners:

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
For members with a hard top, have you noticed, had or heard of cracking or the like around the factory mounting points?

I saw some kind of a reinforcement plate, but for the price I'd rather make my own...but I'll be damned if I can find the thing again

any thoughts what it is that I'm thinking of?
Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I never had problems in my TJ or my JKU, and so far so good in my JL...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
For members with a hard top, have you noticed, had or heard of cracking or the like around the factory mounting points?

I saw some kind of a reinforcement plate, but for the price I'd rather make my own...but I'll be damned if I can find the thing again

any thoughts what it is that I'm thinking of?
It is possible to crack the fiberglass when tightening down the factory bolts. I remember seeing a kit to address that, but also can't recall who and where. It was just a simple set of rectangular washers that spread the clamping force over more of the hardtop flange, rather than the focused clamping of the stock washers.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Neither had such issues with my previous JK, or JL (so far).

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
You’re clamping to a flat piece of metal. Seems like more of a marketing gimmick than anything.

Sponsored

OP
OP
MyDaughters20JL

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
It is possible to crack the fiberglass when tightening down the factory bolts. I remember seeing a kit to address that, but also can't recall who and where. It was just a simple set of rectangular washers that spread the clamping force over more of the hardtop flange, rather than the focused clamping of the stock washers.
yes, and from what I can recall, they were 1/4" thick, stainless & about 1" X 2"

sounds like a waste of money & so far, this thread is starting to prove that

Thanks for all the confirmations

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
yes, and from what I can recall, they were 1/4" thick, stainless & about 1" X 2"

sounds like a waste of money & so far, this thread is starting to prove that

Thanks for all the confirmations
Depending on how much they're asking, it might not be a waste. 1/4" stainless is nice and not the easiest material for the average diy'er to work. 1"x2" is perfect for the application. A strip that runs the whole length would be a waste of material and wouldn't further the benefit.

OP
OP
MyDaughters20JL

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Depending on how much they're asking, it might not be a waste. 1/4" stainless is nice and not the easiest material for the average diy'er to work. 1"x2" is perfect for the application. A strip that runs the whole length would be a waste of material and wouldn't further the benefit.
I think they were like 75 per set....but then again, this is coming from a guy who can't even remember exactly WHAT they were calling them, WHO made them or WHERE they were being sold, so you may want to take THAT with a grain of salt ;)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think they were like 75 per set....but then again, this is coming from a guy who can't even remember exactly WHAT they were calling them, WHO made them or WHERE they were being sold, so you may want to take THAT with a grain of salt ;)
Chocolate Thunder had a real good suggestion about the GPCA hardware kit. It works in conjunction with a nice quality cargo cover that helps to keep prying eyes off of any goodies kept back there. I just recently got their Pro grips and am kicking myself in the ass now, because they're having a very good site wide sale and I should've just gotten the full vehicle dress up package that they offer. I knew about it, but it slipped my mind when I placed the order a day later.

See, you're not alone buddy! Lol

Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Some don’t like the GPCA cargo cover because they say it sags. I don’t have it. I use the tool less hard top screws and D plates to make removal easier and the plates as anchor points for cargo nets or straps.

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Some don’t like the GPCA cargo cover because they say it sags. I don’t have it. I use the tool less hard top screws and D plates to make removal easier and the plates as anchor points for cargo nets or straps.
Here is my low cost mod to eliminate sagging in the GPCA cargo cover:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Here is my low cost mod to eliminate sagging in the GPCA cargo cover:
The entire video is sideways except for the first 3 seconds. Can you fix that?
Sponsored