Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Yeah! I am excited about this project and I am certainly going to collaborate with you and others who want to have fun with CANBus.. I just saw the spreadsheet... It is impressive stuff you have done!!!!

I previously hacked my Harley Davidson Softail.. I wanted to remove all the ugly button hand controls .. I used a handgrip with 4 buttons you can use to control the bike (turn signals, horn, turn the engine on/off) .. it was trivial compared to the JL.. the Harley only has like 10 unique CAN IDs, and all very simple to identify.. I actually added a BLuetooth module and sent characters via BT terminal which allowed me to instruct the microcontroller to do stuff... here is the video... BTW.. I am very interested in getting the sequence of CANBus communication between the Sway and the dashboard.. That would be awesome!! Thanks!

1638849977448.png

1638850089099.jpeg
I had a Grip Ace on my old Night Train. It wasn't perfect but it did the job. Pretty sure they went tits up though. Website is still up but I couldn't get them to answer an email or a phone call.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hacking the JL CANBus Screenshot_20210429-081216_Facebook
Sponsored

OP
OP
CaJLMetalHead

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I had a Grip Ace on my old Night Train. It wasn't perfect but it did the job. Pretty sure they went tits up though. Website is still up but I couldn't get them to answer an email or a phone call.
Jeep Wrangler JL Hacking the JL CANBus Screenshot_20210429-081216_Facebook
The legendary Night Train !!!.. yeah.. I asked Grip Ace about a CAN Bus version but they never produced one, so I decided to design my own, I used their grip but I had to modify it since they used banks of resistors on the switches .. and I just needed simple switches... I designed two different versions of the module and I wanted it to market it but life happened and well.. LOL

You are right... it seems Grip Ace could not keep up with the times and never produced a CAN Bus version... too bad... at this point I am certain other companies are making CAN Bus version.. (I remember many years ago TAMZ had a module... but it did not support the diagnostics sequence)

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The legendary Night Train !!!.. yeah.. I asked Grip Ace about a CAN Bus version but they never produced one, so I decided to design my own, I used their grip but I had to modify it since they used banks of resistors on the switches .. and I just needed simple switches... I designed two different versions of the module and I wanted it to market it but life happened and well.. LOL

You are right... it seems Grip Ace could not keep up with the times and never produced a CAN Bus version... too bad... at this point I am certain other companies are making CAN Bus version.. (I remember many years ago TAMZ had a module... but it did not support the diagnostics sequence)
She's been replaced with a Pan America Special. ;)

Too bad, I liked my Grip Ace even though it was flaky at times.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'll have to dig through those links later, will be fun to follow this thread
Sponsored