Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

After doing a lot of work on the JL, I found myself smiling a lot noticing all of the little things Jeep did to improve things over the JK. They definitely listened to the complaints and suggestions, and a lot of them will be unnoticed or unappreciated by the masses, but not the Jeep forums. I spent some time putting together a list of improvements which has ultimately turned into a video:

I hope you enjoy and I am interested to hear feedback.
Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Hi everyone,

After doing a lot of work on the JL, I found myself smiling a lot noticing all of the little things Jeep did to improve things over the JK. They definitely listened to the complaints and suggestions, and a lot of them will be unnoticed or unappreciated by the masses, but not the Jeep forums. I spent some time putting together a list of improvements which has ultimately turned into a video:

I hope you enjoy and I am interested to hear feedback.
There's a stench of emperor's new clothes going on here I have to say.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I appreciate anyone who offers an opinion here. Spirited conversation is one of the things I enjoy most about forums. Many times I have learned more from those that don’t share my opinions than from those that do.

As you may know, this video is for entertainment purposes and meant to solicit a reaction. I have owned three JK’s and enjoyed them for what they were. I wish I had a JK in addition to my JL, and the next Jeep Wrangler I purchase will likely be a 2 door JK for my daughter with the stipulation I get to drive it here and there.

The JL has been pretty amazing in its own right, and I appreciate it just as I enjoy my iPhone over having a flip phone. While that comparison is a stretch, there are quite a few very thoughtful enhancements to the JL over the JK. Does that make it better or perfect? Not necessarily. Everyone has an opinion, but recognizing and appreciating the positives in things isn’t a bad way to live.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting, the JLU Sahara is only the second Jeep I have ever owned, first was a 1997 Cherokee, anyway the video you did I think is pretty good and points out lots of features that most likely get over looked by ppl like me who never owned a JK

I know the JL has had lots of issues out of the starting gate and steering is at the top of the list but I’m sure the JK had issues when first released.

Anyway thanks for posting

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting, the JLU Sahara is only the second Jeep I have ever owned, first was a 1997 Cherokee, anyway the video you did I think is pretty good and points out lots of features that most likely get over looked by ppl like me who never owned a JK

I know the JL has had lots of issues out of the starting gate and steering is at the top of the list but I’m sure the JK had issues when first released.

Anyway thanks for posting
My pleasure and I am glad you found it helpful. I bet that Cherokee was a lot of fun, too. How are you liking your new Sahara so far?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My pleasure and I am glad you found it helpful. I bet that Cherokee was a lot of fun, too. How are you liking your new Sahara so far?
The Cherokee was the base model at the time with no fancy frills what so ever as in manual everything but I put 169k miles on it and drove it thru creek beds, knee deep snow and everything in between in the Midwest and tried to give it to my son when he first started driving but he wanted something newer but later in life he regretted not taking it, I had it for 10 years and sold it and over that period of time I honestly had no issues, I know there are those that will call BS on that but I truly had no issues other than normal wear and tear but since it was a base model there was not much to break.

As far as my Sahara I have had a few issues but nothing to serious, I had the cruise recall along with the steering update and recently had some issues with the TPMS system that was not related to FCA, so far I am enjoying the fact that all works as designed and I have over 8k miles on it and just got it the last part of April, I know to some that’s not a lot of miles but it’s my daily driver plus weekend trips, I am hoping it gives me lots of years with no trouble.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The Cherokee was the base model at the time with no fancy frills what so ever as in manual everything but I put 169k miles on it and drove it thru creek beds, knee deep snow and everything in between in the Midwest and tried to give it to my son when he first started driving but he wanted something newer but later in life he regretted not taking it, I had it for 10 years and sold it and over that period of time I honestly had no issues, I know there are those that will call BS on that but I truly had no issues other than normal wear and tear but since it was a base model there was not much to break.

As far as my Sahara I have had a few issues but nothing to serious, I had the cruise recall along with the steering update and recently had some issues with the TPMS system that was not related to FCA, so far I am enjoying the fact that all works as designed and I have over 8k miles on it and just got it the last part of April, I know to some that’s not a lot of miles but it’s my daily driver plus weekend trips, I am hoping it gives me lots of years with no trouble.
My uncle had a ‘99 Cherokee bought new that was passed along to several family members and is still going today. It has had a little work but that thing was/is awesome. I just went wheeling in a group with couple of nearly stock Cherokees from that era a few weeks ago, and it really is amazing what they can do with a driver of at least moderate skill level and/or some cajones.

I wish you the best with your new Jeep, and hope it brings you lots of fun-filled and trouble free miles.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
For anyone interested, here is the list I put together that is referenced in the video. What is interesting to me is how many of these are JK mods, like beefier suspension, big brake kits, breather tubes, bigger tires, etc. OR give consideration to the accommodation of future mods. The JL isn’t perfect but Jeep did a lot of things right.

1. The new JL shed over 200 pounds with the use of lighter components and metals like aluminum and magnesium.
  2. The JL has more engine options including an upcoming diesel and rumored hybrid, but the 3.6L Pentastar 6 cylinder and 2L turbo 4 cylinder are available now
  3. The JL has an optional 8 speed automatic transmission, which improves acceleration, which speaking from my experience reduces the negatives from adding larger tires, and helps improve gas mileage over the JK
  4. The Jeep JL gets a reported 18 city and 23 highway (depending on how you drive, you results may vary)
  5. The automatic JL Wrangler Rubicon has an improved crawl ratio of 77.2:1, a 4.7:1 first gear ratio, and a 4.1:1 final drive ratio
  6. Jeep offers a soft top and power top with removable side windows
  7. Hydraulic electronic steering has been added
  8. The Jeep JL unlimited is almost 4” longer than the JK unlimited with an over 2” longer wheelbase
  9. Wider by 1 1/2”, the new generation of Dana axles are 8% stronger than previous
  10. The JL’s overall track is 2.5” wider, giving it more stability on and off the road
  11. A one foot tighter turning radius
  12. 2 cubic feet more cargo volume than the JK
  13. Folding the rear seats down used to leave you with a gap in the cargo area, but not any more. The JL has a nice cover that levels things out and keeps you from losing smaller items or getting them stuck
  14. No more dust-loving covers on the roll bar as they are now painted
  15. There is a bracket for your washer plug in and fluid line instead of just letting them flop around when the hardtop is off
  16. The rear third brake light is adjustable, so it can be extended to accommodate clearing larger tires like on this Jeep
  17. From stock, the carrier and tailgate are stronger on the JL and can hold up to a 35” spare tire
  18. Built in grab handles in the front and rear
  19. Heated steering wheel
  20. ESS
  21. Bright digital display with more color, visuals and feedback on things like pitch & roll off road, and also expected measurements like tire pressure, gas mileage, and the like
  22. The new infotainment display gives you drag & drop customizable controls that mimic the cell phone functionality we are all used to
  23. Apple CarPlay.
  24. More ruggedized interior similar to a waterproof phone case
  25. Programmable auxiliary switches for adding lights or other accessories requiring power
  26. The doors feel like regular doors when opened and shut because of an added retention bracket
  27. The doors themselves are lighter by 18 pounds in the front and 15 pounds in the rear
  28. Doors have larger cargo nets
  29. Doors have built-in handles for easy removal
  30. Side air bags are standard on the JL
  31. The backs of the front seats have built in molle for accessories (Rubicon)
  32. Rear air vents
  33. Rubicon’s fenders are two inches higher from the factory, enabling you to run up to a 35” tire with no lift
  34. JL Rubicons are equipped with 33” BFG KO2, which gain an inch over the JK’s factory 32’s
  35. The JL has larger lugs to hold that extra rubber, and brake rotors also have 1” wider diameter in the JL over the JK
  36. Hood latches are beefed up and the wobbly hood-flutter experienced in the JK is now a thing of the past
  37. Standard halogen or available LED headlights
  38. The running lights and turn signals are LED
  39. The 7 grille slits are wider and have built-in mesh to keep more bugs out of the radiator and keep the engine cool
  40. The Rubicon has functional hood vents and all JL’s have side vents that also improve engine compartment airflow
  41. Moving around to the back of the Jeep, it has a standard back-up camera with a great position in the center of the spare tire to help visibility on and off the road
  42. The door handles have been upgraded with a pull-style
  43. New key fob gives you proximity access
  44. Jeep has added more external bolts for accessories like lighting
  45. The design and placement of the rock rails and pinch seam underneath doesn’t interfere with larger tires like they did on the JK
  46. Much of the undercarriage armor is the same on the JL as the JK, but Jeep relocated some of the more troublesome things that would could get hung up off road like the exhaust, evap, and raised rear track bar
  47. There is stronger transfer case protection (crossmember) which was weak on the JK
  48. Axle breather tubes have been raised on the new JL to keep water out when fording
  49. The oil pan is up higher and the front driveline now disconnects in 2 wheel drive to help with fuel economy
  50. Rear shocks have a wider, more up-and down stance which should help stability and ride
  51. There is a Dana 44 front axle option for the Sahara package
  52. And also an optional 4-high auto in the Sahara, which chooses 2 or 4 wheel drive automatically based on driving conditions
  53. There is a factory winch-ready steel bumper option for the Rubicon, and it can be shortened to a stubby bumper with a few turns of a wrench
  54. Freedom tops are now easier to remove than ever, as Jeep did away with the big screws and you just need to unhinge a few brackets. The storage bag is nicer, too.
  55. Folding windshield

Sponsored

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
For anyone interested, here is the list I put together that is referenced in the video. What is interesting to me is how many of these are JK mods, like beefier suspension, big brake kits, breather tubes, bigger tires, etc. OR give consideration to the accommodation of future mods. The JL isn’t perfect but Jeep did a lot of things right.

1. The new JL shed over 200 pounds with the use of lighter components and metals like aluminum and magnesium.
  2. The JL has more engine options including an upcoming diesel and rumored hybrid, but the 3.6L Pentastar 6 cylinder and 2L turbo 4 cylinder are available now
  3. The JL has an optional 8 speed automatic transmission, which improves acceleration, which speaking from my experience reduces the negatives from adding larger tires, and helps improve gas mileage over the JK
  4. The Jeep JL gets a reported 18 city and 23 highway (depending on how you drive, you results may vary)
  5. The automatic JL Wrangler Rubicon has an improved crawl ratio of 77.2:1, a 4.7:1 first gear ratio, and a 4.1:1 final drive ratio
  6. Jeep offers a soft top and power top with removable side windows
  7. Hydraulic electronic steering has been added
  8. The Jeep JL unlimited is almost 4” longer than the JK unlimited with an over 2” longer wheelbase
  9. Wider by 1 1/2”, the new generation of Dana axles are 8% stronger than previous
  10. The JL’s overall track is 2.5” wider, giving it more stability on and off the road
  11. A one foot tighter turning radius
  12. 2 cubic feet more cargo volume than the JK
  13. Folding the rear seats down used to leave you with a gap in the cargo area, but not any more. The JL has a nice cover that levels things out and keeps you from losing smaller items or getting them stuck
  14. No more dust-loving covers on the roll bar as they are now painted
  15. There is a bracket for your washer plug in and fluid line instead of just letting them flop around when the hardtop is off
  16. The rear third brake light is adjustable, so it can be extended to accommodate clearing larger tires like on this Jeep
  17. From stock, the carrier and tailgate are stronger on the JL and can hold up to a 35” spare tire
  18. Built in grab handles in the front and rear
  19. Heated steering wheel
  20. ESS
  21. Bright digital display with more color, visuals and feedback on things like pitch & roll off road, and also expected measurements like tire pressure, gas mileage, and the like
  22. The new infotainment display gives you drag & drop customizable controls that mimic the cell phone functionality we are all used to
  23. Apple CarPlay.
  24. More ruggedized interior similar to a waterproof phone case
  25. Programmable auxiliary switches for adding lights or other accessories requiring power
  26. The doors feel like regular doors when opened and shut because of an added retention bracket
  27. The doors themselves are lighter by 18 pounds in the front and 15 pounds in the rear
  28. Doors have larger cargo nets
  29. Doors have built-in handles for easy removal
  30. Side air bags are standard on the JL
  31. The backs of the front seats have built in molle for accessories (Rubicon)
  32. Rear air vents
  33. Rubicon’s fenders are two inches higher from the factory, enabling you to run up to a 35” tire with no lift
  34. JL Rubicons are equipped with 33” BFG KO2, which gain an inch over the JK’s factory 32’s
  35. The JL has larger lugs to hold that extra rubber, and brake rotors also have 1” wider diameter in the JL over the JK
  36. Hood latches are beefed up and the wobbly hood-flutter experienced in the JK is now a thing of the past
  37. Standard halogen or available LED headlights
  38. The running lights and turn signals are LED
  39. The 7 grille slits are wider and have built-in mesh to keep more bugs out of the radiator and keep the engine cool
  40. The Rubicon has functional hood vents and all JL’s have side vents that also improve engine compartment airflow
  41. Moving around to the back of the Jeep, it has a standard back-up camera with a great position in the center of the spare tire to help visibility on and off the road
  42. The door handles have been upgraded with a pull-style
  43. New key fob gives you proximity access
  44. Jeep has added more external bolts for accessories like lighting
  45. The design and placement of the rock rails and pinch seam underneath doesn’t interfere with larger tires like they did on the JK
  46. Much of the undercarriage armor is the same on the JL as the JK, but Jeep relocated some of the more troublesome things that would could get hung up off road like the exhaust, evap, and raised rear track bar
  47. There is stronger transfer case protection (crossmember) which was weak on the JK
  48. Axle breather tubes have been raised on the new JL to keep water out when fording
  49. The oil pan is up higher and the front driveline now disconnects in 2 wheel drive to help with fuel economy
  50. Rear shocks have a wider, more up-and down stance which should help stability and ride
  51. There is a Dana 44 front axle option for the Sahara package
  52. And also an optional 4-high auto in the Sahara, which chooses 2 or 4 wheel drive automatically based on driving conditions
  53. There is a factory winch-ready steel bumper option for the Rubicon, and it can be shortened to a stubby bumper with a few turns of a wrench
  54. Freedom tops are now easier to remove than ever, as Jeep did away with the big screws and you just need to unhinge a few brackets. The storage bag is nicer, too.
  55. Folding windshield
I don't have time to comb through everything but how exactly do the JL the door handles (#42) "outperform" the JK ones? There are heaps more in that list that are questionable.

It's more like a list of things different in the JL.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did the JKs have the idiot autopark feature? Man, trying to put a JL in neutral and push it so as not to turn over the engine is not intuitive at all. Seems really stupid to make that process complicated considering there are a lot of times on the trail you're going to need to move an auto equipped rig without cranking the engine over.
Not that I am aware of.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have time to comb through everything but how exactly do the JL the door handles (#42) "outperform" the JK ones? There are heaps more in that list that are questionable.

Hello Rockmaninoff,

I hope your Monday is going well. The door handles are easier to open IMO with a pull-style vs that push button style on the JK. I am not sure if you have children or a spouse, but I found that mine had trouble with getting the JK doors open at times. The pull handle seems more intuitive and unlocks/locks with the key fob in proximity.

As for the list overall, it is a list of differences and while each may be open for debate and individuals have their preferences, my opinion is that they elevate the performance in some way relative to the JK.

Medictrode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
I had a '07 JK and a '13 JK, as well as various Cherokees in the past(With the 4.0, those were my fav). I love my 18' JL thus far. I will admit there is a pucker factor in regards to reliability, but time will tell. Anyway, my JKs overall were inferior to my JL for sure with a few exceptions;

Can we all agree that ESS is so NOT a damned positive. It adds major complexity that shouldn't be there on an offroad vehicle.

I also am not confident in the ZF transmission. Yes time will tell, but not being able to check your tranny fluid, and the changing of same being a super laborious process is so ridiculous, especially because a large majority of Jeep people do their own wrenching.

The electric assisted power steering, again time will tell, has been troublesome in previous Chrysler vehicles. And also again, it adds complexity for an off road vehicle, just more to go wrong. The above mentioned things are all in the name of MPG, which true Jeep people don't care about if it sacrifices reliability.

Just trying to get ya to think realistically here. I certainly hope the JL turns out to be a super reliable vehicle, but anyone who wrenches knows that the more complex the vehicle, the more issues will arise. Hopefully I am wrong.. :)... So far, loving the JL

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy

The door handles on the JK have a thumb pushbutton to open while the JL has pull to open handles. This might not seem like much to younger healthy people, but as we age our health changes. My wife has developed Arthritis in her hands, and thumbs in particular, to the point she almost could not open the doors on our JK. The door handle change alone made the trade worthwhile to us. I agree with what the OP stated as improvements on the JL.

HOWEVER, there is no way these have more room for a large person. I'm 6' 8" and hit my head on tne roll bar and my knees hit the dash. For me, the JK was better in this respect.

My JKs were 4 dr autos and I much prefer the 2 dr manual that I have now. It is much more "Jeepish" than the 4 drs were. Much shorter turning radius, much easier to maneuver in town, and more felt power. To me it is a much better all around vehicle.

HOWEVER, my Jeep is a Forrest Service Road vehicle and NOT a rockcrawler. It provides me a comfortable way to get into the woods. So take my opinions in that light.

For me, it is better than the JKs were......for others, maybe not.
Sponsored