Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
I am not disagreeing with the measurement, but am open to the possibility that C&D also could have motives or a made an error just as easily as Jeep. I tend to trust the manufacturer more than a one-off review, but not blindly and appreciate you pointing it out.

Jeep’s claim and my potentially flawed information has to have some basis in fact. Having owned a JKUS and two JKUR’s, I will say that the JLUR feels lighter and the doors for sure are, but I haven’t weighed them. I do know that I have bigger tires on the JLUR than I did on any of my JK’s, and I am getting better mileage. Besides the transmission and aerodynamics, weight must be another contributing factor.
Sponsored

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It gets in the blood stream I guess

Now the JL can be as rough and rugged as you want it to be and yet you can pull into Valet parking at a nice restaurant .

They have Def come along way
They sure have! I grew up with Jeeps and turning wrenches, indoctrinated by my old man at a young age. I will never forget the first time he took his JKUS off road after having old Jeeps with huge tires. He was floored at what it could do.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A76F42A7-6793-45E6-8AA0-BBA27C666187.jpeg
F1469DD3-97DE-4EF9-BAAA-DE6E7E02FEF7.jpeg

There’s a little bit of difference between my first vehicle, and my latest ;)
That is great! That will turn way more heads than any JL parked next to it. Wow!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, hood vents on the Rubi are real. The problem is they are covered on the underside by the foam hood insulator. Stick a hose on them and you will see they drain from off the top of the foam.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
Thank you!

That’s too bad about the soft top-I was unaware but have always had hard tops.

Here is a pic of the vents, which do have small holes and a thin insulation under the hood.

Great point on the bumper. It is a cool looking bumper but kind of a rip that you have to purchase another $250 winch plate when you can get aftermarket bumpers starting at $400-500.

83F1CDA9-C308-4601-9E47-11B4D503FAAB.jpeg
That little hole is so water doesn't get stuck in the vents - so if that's functional, then yea they are. To me - these are (should be) designed to cool down the engine, not for draining water.

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Enjoying watching, but wish the video was stock vs. stock as a baseline.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have time to comb through everything but how exactly do the JL the door handles (#42) "outperform" the JK ones? There are heaps more in that list that are questionable.

It's more like a list of things different in the JL.
LOL...nice.

"I reserve the right to question this, but I didn't watch it."

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
FYI, hood vents on the Rubi are real. The problem is they are covered on the underside by the foam hood insulator. Stick a hose on them and you will see they drain from off the top of the foam.
They do drain water and it’s not a one-way valve. This does allow some limited airflow even with the foam. At highway speed especially this is significant with airbrushing over the hood. Even at a standstill much less dense hot air under the hood will find its way to “vent” out of an opening, albeit a small one and through semi-permeable foam.

I think the confusion is that the whole vent screen is not open and it’s tough to see the holes. I am sure there was plenty of thought into the size, position, and shape of the vents, holes, and even the foam by Jeep engineers.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That little hole is so water doesn't get stuck in the vents - so if that's functional, then yea they are. To me - these are (should be) designed to cool down the engine, not for draining water.
They do both.

Sponsored

BeeLDub

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys, 2019 Cherokee Limited
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Thank you!

That’s too bad about the soft top-I was unaware but have always had hard tops.

Here is a pic of the vents, which do have small holes and a thin insulation under the hood.

Great point on the bumper. It is a cool looking bumper but kind of a rip that you have to purchase another $250 winch plate when you can get aftermarket bumpers starting at $400-500.

83F1CDA9-C308-4601-9E47-11B4D503FAAB.jpeg
Neither the hood vents nor steel bumpers are ways the JL outperforms the JK since the JK had both the last few years...

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not disagreeing with the measurement, but am open to the possibility that C&D also could have motives or a made an error just as easily as Jeep. I tend to trust the manufacturer more than a one-off review, but not blindly and appreciate you pointing it out.

Jeep’s claim and my potentially flawed information has to have some basis in fact. Having owned a JKUS and two JKUR’s, I will say that the JLUR feels lighter and the doors for sure are, but I haven’t weighed them. I do know that I have bigger tires on the JLUR than I did on any of my JK’s, and I am getting better mileage. Besides the transmission and aerodynamics, weight must be another contributing factor.
That review is off...plenty of MPG claims and youtube drag videos prove otherwise...wonder how they came to those somewhat counter intuitive conclusions.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoying watching, but wish the video was stock vs. stock as a baseline.
Thank you! Maybe I can make another one. I could see about getting access to a sport JL to film for a few hours.

OP
OP
American Jeeper

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
LOL...nice.

"I reserve the right to question this, but I didn't watch it."
Neither the hood vents nor steel bumpers are ways the JL outperforms the JK since the JK had both the last few years...
Thank you for pointing that out. The hood vents were mentioned with the side vents together. Good thing the bumper was a bonus over the 50, which I did intentionally because some of these are open to debate. Many would argue that complexity in systems reduces performance as it can increase chances of failure. I appreciate the comment!
Sponsored