First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Is there a specific GMRS Channel to monitor in Colorado to get information on trails. As I am planning my trip I have noticed some of the shelf roads are tight and head to head traffic could be issue. Really don't want to back uphill as those climbing have right away. Be nice if heading into those sections you could call out to see if anyone is heading up or down a section?
Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if there are specific channels for trails.. that would be nice. But you can/should check MYGMRS.COM if you haven't already to get a repeater list of what may be around you so you have the codes programmed to be able to use the repeaters once you get permission.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I started running with a couple local Jeep off-road groups down by me and they are making the transition to GMRS. Channel 15 seems to be pretty popular down here. I got my GMRS license from the FCC ($70 for 10 years) just to cover myself and use a Boafeng BF-8HP handheld with 8 watts max transmit power. I recently passed the technician license for amateur (Ham) radio and will be installing a Yaesu FTM-300DR 50 watt mobile transceiver in the Jeep.

I would refer to you local Jeep groups as to the channel (frequency) they use. Another good piece of information is to know the repeaters in your area and program them into your radio (I don't know if you can do this with Midland GMRS radios as they don't have Ham functionality, but the Baofeng sure does).

News2me

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 JKU Saraha Backcountry
I've been curious to the channels commonly used as well. I installed a GMRS in my Jeep and usually just keep it on scan. I have heard that general information, kinda like CB Channel 19, is GMRS Channel 20 with a CTCSS privacy code of 22. It would be nice if we could somehow agree on a specific channel.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I've been curious to the channels commonly used as well. I installed a GMRS in my Jeep and usually just keep it on scan. I have heard that general information, kinda like CB Channel 19, is GMRS Channel 20 with a CTCSS privacy code of 22. It would be nice if we could somehow agree on a specific channel.
I liked the suggestion of channel 16 (4x4) but it doesn't seem to be gaining any traction.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dchemphill1

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
School Administrator
Agreed. We need the Jeep Jamborees to get the word out as they are the ones pushing the GMRS.

News2me

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have seen channel 15 recommended, however since 15-22 are repeater outputs the available channel to run will likely vary my region/city as to not interfere with the repeater.
Would that really be an issue? To access a repeater, you need to program your radio to those tones as to activate the repeater. I think what the others were proposing (and I agree with) was just using channel 16 without the repeater setting activated on the radio. I am kinda new to the GMRS world and am still very much learning.

OP
OP
dchemphill1

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
School Administrator
Would that really be an issue? To access a repeater, you need to program your radio to those tones as to activate the repeater. I think what the others were proposing (and I agree with) was just using channel 16 without the repeater setting activated on the radio. I am kinda new to the GMRS world and am still very much learning.
Agreed. I am also new to the GMRS world. I currently don't have a repeater in range for me to use to practice with. I think using as a general rule out on a trail channel 16 would be helpful. Maybe I don't understand but am thinking as I start down a narrow pass I could announce my presence and alert anyone on that trail within range so they can be prepared. Having not run a trail yet maybe that is not how it works. Planning to find out this July.

Sponsored

prerunner1982

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ Cherokees
Channel 16 is still a repeater output, if I am listening on a repeater and hear you talking simplex you are now causing me not to be able to hear the repeater but how do I know you are talking simplex and not using the repeater should I want to talk to you? It's just a common courtesy to not interfere with the repeater usage.

News2me

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Channel 16 is still a repeater output, if I am listening on a repeater and hear you talking simplex you are now causing me not to be able to hear the repeater but how do I know you are talking simplex and not using the repeater should I want to talk to you? It's just a common courtesy to not interfere with the repeater usage.
Absolutely, but the frequencies are shared by everyone, for everyone's use. Common courtesy is always a must.
Sponsored