5 channel vs 4 channel amps

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
It looks like it would be cheaper to buy a 5 channel amp for 4 speakers and a sub as opposed to a 4 channel amp and a powered sub. What's the down side of going with a 5 channel amp?
Sponsored

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392. Was '20 Rubicon, '17 Rubicon
Not many powered sub options out there. a 5 channel affords you the simplicity of having one amp for all. That being said, why not have a 4 channel amp and a separate sub amp? Alot more options to consider at that point...

dajaga

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sport
It looks like it would be cheaper to buy a 5 channel amp for 4 speakers and a sub as opposed to a 4 channel amp and a powered sub. What's the down side of going with a 5 channel amp?
From what I've read is that 5ch is good for convenience but it'll struggle to push the speakers and subs, 4 channel + a mono amp will be enough for speakers and sub respectively but you're sacrificing space.

Personally I'd go with the 4 channel and a mono amp, knowing you got plenty of power too keep everything going. Might be a little more

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
A lot of 5 channel amps have less power than you would get from a 4 channel and a sub amp. Down side to that is they take up more space. It can also come down to how much power you want to add. There have been some incredible advancements in the micro class D amps that are extremely small and powerful.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
What is also not stated is with a 5 channel, the sub-woofer portion of wattage is not always the best proportionally to your other 4 speaker lines. For example, you may have a 5 channel that states that it puts out 50w x 4 on speaker channels and then 150w on the sub-woofer channel and for certain set-ups it can be fine, but for others the sub portion may not be enough power itself. For this reason, separating the sub into its own amplifier is usually what people will do because then you have a LOT of versatility of adjustment for picking up the sub you want to coordinate with your speakers.

Great sound in a vehicle doesn't come from just putting a sub and an amp for speakers, it comes to ensuring you have the perfect ratio/proportion of power for your speakers vs your sub because no one wants a sub that overwhelms your speakers at certain levels etc.

So having said all that, I too support a double amplifier system.

Sponsored

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
There are plenty of high powered 5 channel options.

-JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, and Alpine all make a few that are 75w x 4 + 500w mono for the sub.
-Arc Audio makes a five channel with 85w x4 + 400w for sub
-NVX makes a budget marine grade 5 channel that sounds great that does 70w x 4 + 440w for sub (used in my son's car) and one that does 85w x 4 + 600w for sub
That is plenty of power for your four speakers plus one (or two) sub(s).

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
I’ve got an Alpine PDR-V75 and an older 4 channel amp to install.
I am going to replace both amps later with Biketronics BT4180 (180 watts x 4)and BT4250 (250 watts x 4).
The Biketronics ams are tiny, over 90% efficient and have plenty of power!

PDR-V75
  • 75 watts RMS x 4 + 250 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms
  • 100 watts RMS x 4 + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
  • 200 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392. Was '20 Rubicon, '17 Rubicon
For the price of a decent 5 channel, you can likely find a separate 4ch and a mono sub amp and be right in the same price point - and get either more power, or higher quality.

I get the simplicity in wiring and footprint, but what's the real advantage?
Sponsored