GM Benchmarking Wrangler at Proving Grounds

JeepTime

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
How well did the H1 windshield collect bugs & rocks compared to our Wranglers? :movember:
I don’t know how but it collects almost no bugs on its windshield. In the 5 years I’ve had my H1 I hardly ever have to use the windshield washer fluid to clean bugs.

XAMfed

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
as much as I love my Jeep. I really do miss my H3 Alpha. It was so capable and balanced. I really enjoyed wheeling in that more than I do Jeeps.

1913955_1221258888314_6190310_n.jpg

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Do you have any straight pictures that don't require me to turn my head for no apparent reason to look at them?
That's funny. I was thinking the same thing.

Silverblkrilla

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I drove a 1996 two door Tahoe k5 sport and I loved that truck to the point that I have entertained the idea of buying one and restoring one.

I’d entertain a Two door Tahoe.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I had a 2door Tahoe and it was really good. I also had an h3. It was really good too. Loved the heated seats power seats mirrors etc.The first year. It was good but under powered. Did you know you could fit 35s without a lift. But none were jl or jk good.

I have said it before. GM messed up bringing a cross over to market using the blazer name. They could have used the zr2 platform. Put a suv body with the old style removable top or even a soft top. Carved out the fenders slapped 35s on it from the factory. And viola. Capable historical good off roader. They would have sold a lot. Especially because they would have beat jeep to the diesel. Still though I love ❤ my jlur. Best ever

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like GM may finally join Ford and come up with a competitor to the Wrangler. I know this is just speculation and nothing is confirmed but what are you thoughts? I actually still own my 2009 Hummer H3 Alpha and can honestly say it is still one of my favorite vehicles I have ever owned. I always believe competition is great for everyone and I hope GM actually comes up with a true body on frame SUV into the market!

GM-Wrangler-Testing.jpg

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/05/gm-benchmarking-jeep-wrangler-at-milford-proving-grounds/

Just a few short hours ago, we captured GM benchmarking the Jeep Wrangler at its Milford Proving Grounds in Michigan, marking the first time that GM has tested Jeep’s free-spirited SUV in the past decade.

What we spotted was a pair of Wrangler Unlimited four-door models prowling GM’s test grounds, both decked out in a bevy of sensors and other data-collecting equipment. So we are going to cautiously, yet optimistically reach the following conclusion: a GM Jeep Wrangler fighter might finally be coming.

The idea that GM could produce a Wrangler fighter has been a topic of discussion for quite a while now. But now, just a few years ago, we reported that it was unlikely based on comments made by GMC boss Duncan Aldred. But with a pair of new Wrangler models out and about in Milford, perhaps The General’s thinking has changed.

So then – what would a GM Jeep Wrangler fighter actually look like?

Prior to its debut in June 2018, we believed the new Chevy Blazer could possibly fit the Wrangler fighter bill. But we’re tossing that option out the window, since the all-new Blazer is a crossover built on the GM C1XX platform, the same platform as the GMC Acadia. In that regard, it targets the ever-lucrative and highly-important (for the bottom-line) midsize crossover segment, but doesn’t pretend to touch on Wrangler territory.

As any off-road enthusiast will tell you, a GM Jeep Wrangler fighter would have to be a body-on-frame SUV to have the right stuff in the rough. As such, we think a pair of brand new Chevrolet and/or GMC entries with brand new nameplates unriddled by any historic baggage would be perfect. The duo could feature substantially different sheet metal while riding on GM’s upcoming VSS-T architecture, which is meant to consolidate all of GM’s body-on-frame vehicles on a single vehicle set.

Either way, a GM Jeep Wrangler fighter would face some stout competition. The Wrangler is obviously the dominant force in the mainstream off-road SUV segment, and the name carries legendary status. But Ford is working on a rival of its own with the upcoming Ford Bronco, which will be loosely derived from its midsize pickup truck – the Ford Ranger.

Here’s to hoping that this sighting of the Jeep Wrangler being benchmarked by GM at its Milford Proving Ground is a true indication that The General will create a true off-road-oriented SUV of its own. Rest assured, we’ll follow this story as it develops. In the meantime, be sure to subscribe to GM Authority for more around-the-clock GM news coverage.

View attachment 186697 View attachment 186708

4EA5441A-A63B-48F2-B3B1-482BCB53C4CE.jpeg

F4565A3E-4390-4DA6-8808-7E7F1D676876.jpeg
And once again it comes down to this...

Even if Ford, GM, Toyota come up with a body on frame vehicle UNLESS THE DOORS AND TOP COME OFF... i.e. it's a roll cage on wheels, there is no direct competition.
Granted they may make a very capable off road vehicle that might give a Rubi a run for it's money but every single one of them lose the battle in terms of stripping it down, and THAT'S what makes a Jeep a Jeep.
Toyota could have done something great with the FJ... but they didn't.
GM could have done something great with the H2... but they didn't.
Ford could have done something great with the new Bronco... but they won't.

These "comparisons" against the Jeep continue to pop up on the forum and then shot down because the reality is until you can strip 'em down there is no comparison. Heck yesterday I saw a Honda CRV with no doors and no hatch... now maybe Honda is on to something... lol.

Sponsored

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
even though FCA quality is nothing to rave about anything made by GM these days is similar at best, but prolly worse! the money hungry manufacturers want bigger profit margins at the cost of poor quality + reliability IMO. even though technology has advanced its reliability in the first years of anything new stinks to say the least + the more bells + whistles the more issues usually happen.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Late to the game bang, but definitely miss my old H3

If it's what it's gonna be, I might have to get one to add to the stables