First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 (Sold) & Jeep JL
Occupation
Process Engineer
Looks like GM may finally join Ford and come up with a competitor to the Wrangler. I know this is just speculation and nothing is confirmed but what are you thoughts? I actually still own my 2009 Hummer H3 Alpha and can honestly say it is still one of my favorite vehicles I have ever owned. I always believe competition is great for everyone and I hope GM actually comes up with a true body on frame SUV into the market!

GM-Wrangler-Testing.jpg

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/05/gm-benchmarking-jeep-wrangler-at-milford-proving-grounds/

Just a few short hours ago, we captured GM benchmarking the Jeep Wrangler at its Milford Proving Grounds in Michigan, marking the first time that GM has tested Jeep’s free-spirited SUV in the past decade.

What we spotted was a pair of Wrangler Unlimited four-door models prowling GM’s test grounds, both decked out in a bevy of sensors and other data-collecting equipment. So we are going to cautiously, yet optimistically reach the following conclusion: a GM Jeep Wrangler fighter might finally be coming.

The idea that GM could produce a Wrangler fighter has been a topic of discussion for quite a while now. But now, just a few years ago, we reported that it was unlikely based on comments made by GMC boss Duncan Aldred. But with a pair of new Wrangler models out and about in Milford, perhaps The General’s thinking has changed.

So then – what would a GM Jeep Wrangler fighter actually look like?

Prior to its debut in June 2018, we believed the new Chevy Blazer could possibly fit the Wrangler fighter bill. But we’re tossing that option out the window, since the all-new Blazer is a crossover built on the GM C1XX platform, the same platform as the GMC Acadia. In that regard, it targets the ever-lucrative and highly-important (for the bottom-line) midsize crossover segment, but doesn’t pretend to touch on Wrangler territory.

As any off-road enthusiast will tell you, a GM Jeep Wrangler fighter would have to be a body-on-frame SUV to have the right stuff in the rough. As such, we think a pair of brand new Chevrolet and/or GMC entries with brand new nameplates unriddled by any historic baggage would be perfect. The duo could feature substantially different sheet metal while riding on GM’s upcoming VSS-T architecture, which is meant to consolidate all of GM’s body-on-frame vehicles on a single vehicle set.

Either way, a GM Jeep Wrangler fighter would face some stout competition. The Wrangler is obviously the dominant force in the mainstream off-road SUV segment, and the name carries legendary status. But Ford is working on a rival of its own with the upcoming Ford Bronco, which will be loosely derived from its midsize pickup truck – the Ford Ranger.

Here’s to hoping that this sighting of the Jeep Wrangler being benchmarked by GM at its Milford Proving Ground is a true indication that The General will create a true off-road-oriented SUV of its own. Rest assured, we’ll follow this story as it develops. In the meantime, be sure to subscribe to GM Authority for more around-the-clock GM news coverage.

View attachment 186697 View attachment 186708

4EA5441A-A63B-48F2-B3B1-482BCB53C4CE.jpeg

F4565A3E-4390-4DA6-8808-7E7F1D676876.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Do you have any straight pictures that don't require me to turn my head for no apparent reason to look at them?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
emilboya

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Engineer
Do you have any straight pictures that don't require me to turn my head for no apparent reason to look at them?
sorry to have wasted your "valuable" energy. Didn't mean to ruin your day man

OP
OP
emilboya

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Engineer
Maybe they can use the new trailblazer.

Lololololol
Looks like they are resurrecting that name like the Blazer for a crossover :facepalm:

Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
I’d love to see the H3 make a comeback. I bought a base model new in 2008 with a manual transmission, and it was probably my favorite vehicle ever.

OP
OP
emilboya

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Engineer
I agree with you! My H3 is an auto but i did not have the heart to trade it in

OP
OP
emilboya

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Engineer
For what GM vehicle? They just left some steaming piles on the Blazer and Trailblazer names.

Yes they ruined it by bringing those nameplates back for crossovers. But now they are saying they will introduce a new body on frame SUV based off the Colorado/Canyon platform, again all speculation at this point...

Sponsored

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
I agree with you! My H3 is an auto but i did not have the heart to trade it in
I traded mine for a truck when I bought my first house. Then I kicked myself for about a year and eventually bought my first Jeep (JKUS) so I guess it wasn’t all bad. I do miss that Hummer, though.

OP
OP
emilboya

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Engineer
I traded mine for a truck when I bought my first house. Then I kicked myself for about a year and eventually bought my first Jeep (JKUS) so I guess it wasn’t all bad. I do miss that Hummer, though.
Haha well at least we both seem happy to have made it into the Jeep world :like:

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, a good hummer is to be missed on occasion!

BobBarker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
The H3 truck was very nice looking. Looked like a tonka truck came to life.

The trailblazer was a good vehicle. Inline 6 was a great engine. Just GM plastic and electric quality was terrible. Trim pieces, window motors, tail lights, running lights, head light assemblies, on and on. Had my 2002 for 9 years.
Sponsored