Getting a response from Jeep dealers

maus92

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS Firecracker Red
I was able to get a quote for exactly what I wanted (fully loaded JLU Rubicon) from Dennis Dillon in Idaho. 7.5% below invoice when financed and 5.5% below invoice for an all cash purchase. There are only a handful of dealers in the West who are aggressive in trying to win your business.
What are the financing terms on that 7.5% deal? I'd imagine the rate / terms are not the best available, so be careful. That said, since dealers get a percentage of the financing deal, they are essentially giving you a "cash back" rebate.
Sponsored

timkim

First Name
tae
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I'm darn near at the "I don't care anymore" stage and if people don't want to bother to get a sale from me, I'm not willing to work for their business. Seriously, why do they bother having a contact form if no one looks at it? Turn the damn thing off. Why do they bother having a Facebook site or email address for the sales manager if no one looks at it -- TURN THE DAMN THINGS OFF. Just say it like it is: "If you want a vehicle from us, you need to walk in and be prepared to negotiate and purchase on the spot. Otherwise, we don't give a shit."
buy one from Vegas. I live in OC and ordered it from Vegas dealer. got 5% off from invoice.

drummerchick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, Sting-Gray
Vehicle Showcase
I had a similar experience with the email blast. Only 3 out of 6 responded at all, and those all pretended to ignore my very specific price request. I went to the first dealership in my area to receive a Rubicon, so I could test drive. They were about an hour away, so not super convenient. Pricing with them was a whole lot of games. The salesman said he had gotten the manager to agree to invoice, but when they gave me the actual numbers, it was actually higher.

Then went to the dealer right by my house and gave them the price I wanted out the door, and told them I had a quote from a competitor, without telling them what it was. They got very close to my number, and beat the first dealership by $600. I am happy with the deal, and was able to purchase and build relationships at the dealer where the vehicle will be serviced. All that to say, if you have a place you'd really prefer to buy from, maybe save it for last.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

Four days ago, I sent a comprehensive order email using the web-based "contact" page for 6 dealerships within 50 miles of me asking for them to supply a quote on the Wrangler JL build I'm looking to order. I've not received a single response from any of them. Not even a "thank you we received your email."....

More than one salesperson wanted to sit down with me and order my Jeep "right now," but no one was willing for me to take the quote and compare to other dealers. (Here's how that conversation went .... Me: "I'll sit down with you and tell you what I want. Once you give me your best price, I'll take that away and compare it with other dealers. In the end, I'll take the best deal." Them: "Happy to help, but if you're not interested in buying frankly it's a waste of my time." or "We can order something but have you see the amazing deals we have on the lot?")

I think that the dealers don't really monitor those web contacts unless they are in sales jeopardy. I think they purposely try to get people physically into the dealership so that they can motivate them to sign a sales contract "today." People who are up front about their process (like me) are considered to be "not serious" ... or, somehow "not ready to buy."

I'm thoroughly disappointed.
Anyone know how to get a quote from a dealership??

Terry
That sounds like a hot mess. I will say...maybe it's just web sales in your area. I bought my Jeep without even going on the lot. I was injured and couldn't make my way up there and I submitted a request to my Credit Union (online). They then submitted my request to multiple dealers.

I also submitted a request to the online sales reps of two dealers, on my own. They got back to me the next day. The first rep that got back to me gave me a price that apparently couldn't be beat. I told him that I would take it to another dealer as i had been receiving service from the other dealer for years. He had no problem. All he said was "they won't be able to beat my price, but feel free to shop around". And he was right; two days later he ordered my build and took my deposit over the phone.

The dealership he works with is not in any type of sales jeopardy. He has claimed that they sell the most Jeeps in the nation with the largest stock. I believe him from what i've seen. I've never seen so many Jeeps in one spot in my life...so no, I just think folks in your area don't take online sales seriously. They need to though, because not everyone can physically go look on the lot or has the time to.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

Four days ago, I sent a comprehensive order email using the web-based "contact" page for 6 dealerships within 50 miles of me asking for them to supply a quote on the Wrangler JL build I'm looking to order. I've not received a single response from any of them. Not even a "thank you we received your email."
You might also want to get a sales rep's personal email...do not use the "contact us" form.

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
...Where dealers get it wrong (in my opinion) is leaving the online stuff to a novice salesperson and treating it like a newspaper ad designed to bring people in the door. People want to deal online to avoid the "car sales"iness. Instead, they have to navigate a tangled web of bad communication and misinformation just to end up on the showroom floor eventually anyway. Why not put an experienced person on that desk and let them offer a square deal that both sides can live with?
And this is EXACTLY why I purchased my vehicle from the dealership that contacted me first. The online sales rep has worked for the dealership for more than 20 years. He is experienced, he listened to what I wanted and understood that I wasn't going to haggle...and didn't have time to play games. Because he knew how i "shopped" he got my business.

My method of purchasing: "i want your best price. I don't haggle and I'm in a no nonsense mood." He gave me the best price he could offer and said he couldn't go below it. I respected him for that. He knew what i was gonna do with that price..knew i would compare it to one other dealership and he knew why. And he beat the other dealership because of the $100 deposit he quoted me. Man knows how to close a deal. But I don't mean to ramble on and on about him...just you are so right. They need experienced folks EVERYWHERE...on the floor, on the phone, online if they want to make sale.

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
For those of you who have the following memberships, you can also get a "price" based on that membership.

AARP - I specked one out on their website earlier this evening. About 2500 off the invoice price
Costco - Also on their website if you are a member.
Veteran/Retired Military/Federal Employee - As part of your service, you can ask to work with the fleet sales group at any dealership to get another price. Usually any and all of the above will get you 2-3K off the invoice price.
Dave Smith in Kellogg, ID will also give you a great price, suspect, it's one of the cheapest dealers in the nation. I have purchased one from them, and at the time, 3K more for my trade in and 3.5K less than any dealer in the Portland, OR area at the time. The last time I checked with them, I was in the 44-46K range for a JLUR with everything but the dual top, one solid color and an auto transmission. I am trying to sell other stuff now so I don't have to finance part of it, so waiting for next model year.
One more point, sometime soon FCJ is going to shut down the line for a couple of week to switch over to the 2019 models. Suspect it is the last two weeks of July or last week July to 1st week Aug, if thinking of ordering, you should make that decision soon, or wait until the 2019 models. Not an expert in this, but most of the manufacturers do it about now.

homebrwd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Jetta (JL in the Plans)
When I ordered my JK I had a fun experience as well. I emailed 11 dealers and got responses from 8 of them within a day. One gave me pricing that didn't make sense, his MSRP listing didn't match up to anything, it was as if he didn't look at what I wanted to order so I passed. All but one other one only knocked a little off the price of the order so I was down to one at this point, Fitzgerald in MD. I had taken their out the door price to the other dealers to see who would match and received all 'no's. Then one of the three missing dealerships got back to me, it was Koons with a price that crushed the price of Fitzgerald. When I replied back to Fitzgerald with this new information I received an aggressively desperate attempt to save the deal. I was told that there was no way the new price was legit, that they didn't want to "talk bad" about other dealers but they must be trying to pull something, was I sure that the price I was quoted was out the door, and how Fitzgerald was a volume dealer so only they could give me the best price. At this point, even though I was set I Koons, I made the decision to never work with that dealer in the future. When the time comes for me to order my JL, I'll more than likely be heading back to Koons.

We used true car for my wife's Mazda (bought before the JK) and I wasn't a huge fan of the experience, after going through the process I did with the JK I felt like I had left a decent chunk of change on the table with the Mazda. Looking at True car for what I would build in a JL it actually looks like True Car is getting below 5% off invoice.

NOMAD-0311

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scat Pack Challenger
I have a 6% under quote and comes with a free lifetime powertrain warranty, this is without an affiliate price factored in, but he said I couldn’t use my $500 mil credit for some reason (was told Jeep gives them that money so doesn’t impact them). So I may shop it out to a couple other places just to see, but the free warranty is a nice touch even if I don’t get to use the $500
Sponsored