First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.30MinuteSalesCoach.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Yes, but Mordin HAD A QUOTE ... I have none.
Why do you need this quote to start with?

Find a dealer you want to do business with and do business. In the end, if you pay an extra grand because you couldn't squeeze that last bit of profit out of the dealer, how much does it really change your payment over 4 or 5 years?

Even once you negotiate everything out, you are still going to wonder if you got "screwed" or left something on the table. A year from now, the numbers will blur anyway. $51k and $49k both become fifty-thousand in hindsight. It's just the most important thing right now because you are in that stage of the buying process.

I am 100% positive that I could have played more hardball when I bought my JL. But... I ordered on a gorgeous Saturday morning and 25 days later, I was driving it. My dealership is 4 miles away and has an amazing service department and the collision team is top notch if needed.

There will always be someone here telling you that you could have gotten a better deal... period.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I contacted around 8 dealerships.

Only 2 consistently responded quickly and answered all my questions. They are both sponsors on this site - Koons and Tri-City.

Obviously not an option for you but there are dealers out west using the same model. I wouldn't waste time with dealers operating like it's the 20th century. If they don't get it move on.

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Yeah from what I can gather dealers in California are not interested in making any sort of deal. Or could just be in particular regions?

If Arizona or Nevada are viable options might be good to reach out to those dealers recommended on the forum. You can already see what deals they are offering here and simply ask if you can get the same deal.

NaughtyGeek

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Dodge Dart, 1969 Corvette 350/350, 2003 Exploder, 2005 Electra Glide Ultra Classic, 2015 4 Runner, 2017 JKUR
This is why dealerships have associations that pay big $ to lobby the government to prevent direct to consumer sales of vehicles. They still run on the age old model of obfuscated prices and high pressure sales. They can't get extra money out of you if they don't have you sitting on a hot seat while they "talk to their manager." As the older generations die out so will this business model but dealerships are still turning a profit because people still walk in unprepared and uninformed.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
This is why dealerships have associations that pay big $ to lobby the government to prevent direct to consumer sales of vehicles. They still run on the age old model of obfuscated prices and high pressure sales. They can't get extra money out of you if they don't have you sitting on a hot seat while they "talk to their manager." As the older generations die out so will this business model but dealerships are still turning a profit because people still walk in unprepared and uninformed.
This. So much this. We're talking about an outdated business model that the vast majority of Americans would love to avoid. [I know there are some of you who have enough money that $2k is "blur," and some of you love to "stick it to the filthy dealer," but the majority don't want to deal with fighting or losing money.]

If it weren't for government interference, there's no way dealerships as we know them could survive. Protection from competition does nobody any favors.

Sponsored

scishfottman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.30MinuteSalesCoach.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
This. So much this. We're talking about an outdated business model that the vast majority of Americans would love to avoid. [I know there are some of you who have enough money that $2k is "blur," and some of you love to "stick it to the filthy dealer," but the majority don't want to deal with fighting or losing money.]

If it weren't for government interference, there's no way dealerships as we know them could survive. Protection from competition does nobody any favors.
As the one seemingly criticizing people's buying style, I wanted to step in and say that I do not feel the buyers who are working hard to shop quotes are trying to stick it to the dealer as much as they just want to know they aren't getting screwed. A new paradigm in the industry would go a long way to instilling consumer confidence in that respect.

Reactions: EAE

MotoMax

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2020 Jeep Grandcherokee
Occupation
Do nothing bum Retired
I contacted around 8 dealerships.

Only 2 consistently responded quickly and answered all my questions. They are both sponsors on this site - Koons and Tri-City.

Obviously not an option for you but there are dealers out west using the same model. I wouldn't waste time with dealers operating like it's the 20th century. If they don't get it move on.
I agree.
Local dealer would only take off $1000. and I had to pay for the undercoat that he already sprayed on! Well that was the real deal breaker cause I didn't want undercoat even if it was for free!
Contacted Craig at Koons and made a great deal. Well worth the 6 hour drive one way.

Reactions: EAE

m27bpope

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20108 JL Sting Gray
This doesn't eliminate the problem. I am both a member of Tread Lightly AND my employer has the affiliate program. I have a control ID ready and indicated this in my "contact" email.

I have now tried another tactic: I built the jeep through the jeep.com interface and used the "get quote" ability at the end. I was unable to choose dealer(s) this way, and have not gotten the slightest acknowledgement in my email.

I'd still like to negotiate 4% off of invoice but it's hard to negotiate anything if no one will tell me what the starting point is.
I think you are "out of your mind" to think a dealership will give you a written quote that you can take to another dealership so that they can say "sure we can beat that by a $100.00 bucks".
Now, if you were to take a printed ad into a dealership, and ask them to beat it by a $100 bucks, that would to me seem a realistic approach.
On the other hand the internet has the Jeep build and price so I really do not see the big deal about talking to a salesperson. You have the starting point right there! Add in your discounted price from affiliate. Why would you think you can negotiate 4% more off the already discounted price?

Jimac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Why do you need this quote to start with?

Find a dealer you want to do business with and do business. In the end, if you pay an extra grand because you couldn't squeeze that last bit of profit out of the dealer, how much does it really change your payment over 4 or 5 years?

Even once you negotiate everything out, you are still going to wonder if you got "screwed" or left something on the table. A year from now, the numbers will blur anyway. $51k and $49k both become fifty-thousand in hindsight. It's just the most important thing right now because you are in that stage of the buying process.

I am 100% positive that I could have played more hardball when I bought my JL. But... I ordered on a gorgeous Saturday morning and 25 days later, I was driving it. My dealership is 4 miles away and has an amazing service department and the collision team is top notch if needed.

There will always be someone here telling you that you could have gotten a better deal... period.
Sounds like heaven for us in JL hell 15 weeks and counting in D status with no build order yet.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
OP not sure where you are on this but I filled out True Car and built my Jeep. I got calls within 5 minutes from all 3 dealers in my area. they all suck of course and couldn't come close to any of the dealers/deals on here as they are all SoCal dealers but none the less, try True Car or just pick up the phone.

Sponsored

m27bpope

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20108 JL Sting Gray

Have you bought a cell phone ? It is every bit as demanding as buying a car.

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
Dave Smith Motors in Idaho, call them, they will not run you around. Darrell was my salesman last time, nice person. I saved 5-6K on my new 2013 by going there, Got 3K more on the trade in of my 09, and he was about 2-3K under the best quote I received at the Portland, OR area dealers. I was extremely happy working with them.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Yeah, true. Buying a $600 piece of electronics is the same as buying a $50k automobile. :cwl:

But seriously, you can go buy a phone on the internet. Then bring it in to connect to the service. Admittedly, some companies are picky about what works on their networks, but you don't need to use that service. In many states you MUST go to a dealership.

Dave Smith Motors in Idaho, call them, they will not run you around. Darrell was my salesman last time, nice person. I saved 5-6K on my new 2013 by going there, Got 3K more on the trade in of my 09, and he was about 2-3K under the best quote I received at the Portland, OR area dealers. I was extremely happy working with them.
This type of thing is important. Not all dealers are terrible, and calling out the good ones matter. Thanks!

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
Apples and Oranges. Last cell phone I bought, I went online did my research...picked one I wanted....it was at my door the next day....took about 5min of calling automated phone# to get it activated.

Not too mention....one item is <1k while the other is >50k.

That said since I live in Florida, when my time comes to order a JL...I fully expect to be traveling out of state for it. Sounds like CA is the same.

I pray for the day the current car selling business model is gone.....but as others have said ....dealers have government on their side so probably never gonna happen.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

Four days ago, I sent a comprehensive order email using the web-based "contact" page for 6 dealerships within 50 miles of me asking for them to supply a quote on the Wrangler JL build I'm looking to order. I've not received a single response from any of them. Not even a "thank you we received your email."

I tried calling 2 of the 6 dealers and got transferred around and disconnected by their phone systems, stuck on hold for 20 minutes, and - though he was unable to help me with sales - I think I might have gotten a date with the service manager at one dealer.

I had enough and just physically went into one of the dealers and asked who handled the "contacts" on the web page and unsurprisingly - no one knew. More than one salesperson wanted to sit down with me and order my Jeep "right now," but no one was willing for me to take the quote and compare to other dealers. (Here's how that conversation went .... Me: "I'll sit down with you and tell you what I want. Once you give me your best price, I'll take that away and compare it with other dealers. In the end, I'll take the best deal." Them: "Happy to help, but if you're not interested in buying frankly it's a waste of my time." or "We can order something but have you see the amazing deals we have on the lot?")

I think that the dealers don't really monitor those web contacts unless they are in sales jeopardy. I think they purposely try to get people physically into the dealership so that they can motivate them to sign a sales contract "today." People who are up front about their process (like me) are considered to be "not serious" ... or, somehow "not ready to buy."

I'm thoroughly disappointed.
Anyone know how to get a quote from a dealership??

Terry
They must be making enough money... I emailed about 10 dealers and all of them responded, some within the hour I emailed them. Overall dealers would prefer to deal with people who have no idea what they are doing rather than an informed buyer who will make a decision based on reason and facts.

On the day I picked up my JLUR (at 7% below invoice) there were 3 people who came into the dealer who did no research, had no idea what they wanted and no clue what a good deal was. 2 of them bought there on the spot, the other one was working the deal as I was leaving. None of them had been to the dealer before. I know they were not getting the best deal they could, but with that said the dealer I am sure cleaned up on them, which is one of the reasons I was able to get such a killer deal on mine.

Keep shopping around, get the best price and take it into your local dealers and tell them if they can beat it they can have your business otherwise you are buying somewhere else by end of day.
Sponsored