Sponsored

Gas mileage so far

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
You mean Sahara and 3.45 gears, so an even larger gulf between Rubi and Sport / Sahara axles.

Remember the 3.73 is supposed to come for the diesel (it supposedly is to also be optioned for the Rubi, but not yet).
You are correct, my bad.

MoJeepDust

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 XJ, 08 Avalanche, 76 CB550F
Occupation
Jeep Product Trainer
Anyone have info on gas mileage they have been getting so far? I am about 16 with a mix of driving in a rubicon. Not getting the 20mpg on window sticker. I assume that is based off sport model?
I’m breaking the car in too so it’s not like I’m driving hard or anything either.
What are you guys getting??
My JLURubicon is averaging 18mpg on my 40 mile drive to work. Mix average is 15mpg. I was hoping for closer to that 20-21 mpg the sticker said but it still better than the 12 mpg my JKRubicon was getting

FireWire

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram EcoDiesel, Polaris RZR900, 2018 JL Sport S
At what speed are you guys finding that the auto transmission shifts into 8th gear?
I have a Ram 1500 with 8 spd. There is a button on the wheel that lets you select the highest gear it will go into. I select 8th as the highest gear and it will show what gear you are currently in. I'm not sure if the JL does the same. We ordered a manual.

Sponsored

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
I was getting 12/14mpg in the 2006 LJ with 35" MT's and my 2008 STI gets 20/21 mpg. As long as the 2 door manual can squeak closer to the STI, it's all gravy.

I figure it will be worse with no roof and bigger tires. Goes with the "pay to play" tune.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
My JLURubicon is averaging 18mpg on my 40 mile drive to work. Mix average is 15mpg. I was hoping for closer to that 20-21 mpg the sticker said but it still better than the 12 mpg my JKRubicon was getting
Outside temperature plays in a big factor in my mpg. My Honda Accord usually gets 40+ MPG on the highway during my daily commute. When it's cold outside I lose about 10 mpg. When the temp is below 20 degrees, I'm lucky to get 27 mpg highway where I normally get 40 mpg.

NEO Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
I was just about to post this same thread.

I'm getting around 18.3 right now, with a mix of back roads (45-50 MPH) for 70% of the tank and highway (65 MPH) for the remaining 30%. Now, I'm still on my first tank from the dealer, so we will see how it is once broken in...and using premium brand gas. I am a little bummed because I thought I'd get the 20 as mentioned.

I watched a video about the JL from the TFLnow guys (see video below) where they reviewed a Sahara. They mentioned that they got over 400 miles on a tank, putting them somewhere in the 20 MPG category. I won't get that...at least not yet. I'm looking somewhere just over 350 miles. Like @Mattyp1214 said, I'm still in the break-in period and am taking it easy.

NEO Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
The TFL guys Sahara model was equipped with a 2.0 liter turbo not a 3.6 liter. That's why they got such good mileage.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
The TFL guys Sahara model was equipped with a 2.0 liter turbo not a 3.6 liter. That's why they got such good mileage.

The “long term” test was the 3.6, not the 2.0 they tested on the day everyone else did, their claimed mileage they went over at their headquarters was definitely the 3.6... they even pop the hood to show it off.

Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
The “long term” test was the 3.6, not the 2.0 they tested on the day everyone else did, their claimed mileage they went over at their headquarters was definitely the 3.6... they even pop the hood to show it off.
It was the gearing.

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Gearing, 8 speed auto, and tires...

Not in my favor. Time will tell what the 2 door Rubicon with 6 speed manual can get at altitude.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Does the axle gearing really matter as much when you've got 8 gears in the transmission? Outside of 1st gear and 8th gear, couldn't the transmission compensate to make the Rubicon and Sahara roughly equal in fuel economy?

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Does the axle gearing really matter as much when you've got 8 gears in the transmission? Outside of 1st gear and 8th gear, couldn't the transmission compensate to make the Rubicon and Sahara roughly equal in fuel economy?
Nope, your 8th gear still has the rear diff gear to deal with, lowering your mileage.
Sponsored