Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I'm in EXACTLY this same boat.

We did 70 miles in death Valley NP yesterday. Hardly challenging on Saline Rd, as our mildly lifted, aggressively-tired Rubicon did the first half in 2wd. (Tires aired at 39 psi - so not really aired down at all...)

When we reached the half-way point and began to back track (our plan was an in-out run to test the new suspension (installed the day before) and new tires (installed 2 days prior), and see a bit of the back country.

Saline Rd isn't difficult by any means, BUT, it's rough in parts - like 3 mph or things are bouncing around like crazy, rough. Sandy bits, rocks, broken, ancient asphalt, ruts, washboard - it's all there. One minute you're doing 50 mph through the desert, the next it's 8 mph picking your way around rocks and over washouts.

And at maximum desolation, I decided to add a set of these racks for added fuel capacity. One video I watched on a white Rubicon, the scratching was clearly because the guy kept sliding metal on paint - his lack of skill installing them is what made the scratches happen - so I'm not really concerned about that one individual's experience with paint issues. ;)

What does concern me is... static v. dynamic weight management. And is the fiberglass of the drip rails and bottom edge of our hardtops going to handle the weight of the rack and fuel with long-term, actual offroad use? I'm 100% certain it WILL work...for a time.

I'm less concerned about snagging the rotopax on things. The Jeep is wider at the mirrors, and frankly, if it's THAT close on the trail, I'm probably already looking for a bypass anyway. ;) Nothing to prove, and exploring is exploring, I figure.

Bigger issue is loss on the sight-lines over my right shoulder when driving if I block that window. I prefer more open sight lines - again, a personal call.

But the single biggest issue I have is my recollection that there is a fairly small weight limit for mounting racks on our drip rails, and if these clamps hold only on the fiberglass, this solution is in the same boat as a roof rack, I think. Not that I need these racks to hold hundreds of pounds, obviously, but repeated stress of metal against fiberglass will see the fiberglass fail at some point.

If these mounted up and under the hardtop, to the body of the Jeep, this whole thing would be moot and take my money!!! :)

For now, I may go the Draco mount and carry a bit less extra fuel. But hey, if someone has real world experience, that would be ideal!!! :)
I have received some positive feedback in mother thread.

as to weight, the racks are rated at 60 pounds (each) only. That is more than enough for rotopax and 4 gals of fuel though.
Sponsored

sportsguy

First Name
duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JLU Rubicon w/a snail
Occupation
Marketing
I have received some positive feedback in mother thread.

as to weight, the racks are rated at 60 pounds (each) only. That is more than enough for rotopax and 4 gals of fuel though.
Iā€™m sure the racks can handle the weight, but can the fiberglass of the lower edge of the roof and the drip rail handle it, long term, off-road?

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Folks:

I am looking to buy this system but I am also looking for some ā€œlong-termā€ reviews. Have either of you taken this system, loaded with liquid, on the freeway at 70+? Have you also bumped it down the trail? Pros? Cons? would you buy again? If not, why not?

There is one video on the web suggesting that it scratches the hardtop paint. Did you experience?
im assuming that it stays very secure, but have you experienced any loosening up or any concern about the stability of the mount over time?

i think this is a great system for me but I would really like to hear from those who already have it. Any help would be great!
They havenā€™t budged at highway speeds, full. I havenā€™t noticed any scratching. They do scratch with trail rash, but that was expected.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
5 gallon, steel, NATO cans.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
For those who have the Trailrax, can you highlight exactly how it attaches? Looks like it's kinda clamping to the rain gutter but what is doing at the bottom?

I've tried expanding pics on their site but I'm still unclear. I wish they had a downloadable instruction sheet but I'm not finding one. Any owners still have the instructions?

Thanks!

@shacdaddy @RastaPasta
@D60 and @RenegadeJeeper

i just purchased the trailrax. I just mounted this rack

the bottom ā€œhooksā€ actually do hook under the hardtop. There is a ā€˜recessā€™ in the body panel near the hardtop. That gives room for these to ā€œhook underā€ the hardtop. The rack is seemingly very sturdy.

hope that helps. I can try to take a closeup tomorrow if you would like,

479BFFEF-DF8E-4999-8AF3-8CD2A5CC1838.jpeg

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I carry two 2gal fuel tanks on my spare tire carrier. The Ace Engineering spare tire carrier came with two places to mount Rotopax tanks.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fuel Storage Options 1600859714137

Jeep Wrangler JL Fuel Storage Options 1600859735689

Whiskeybiskit

First Name
Donny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL wrangler sport s
Vehicle Showcase
I carry two 2gal fuel tanks on my spare tire carrier. The Ace Engineering spare tire carrier came with two places to mount Rotopax tanks.

How do you like the Ace? I had their rear bumper/tire carrier on my jk, really liked it.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I was unfortunate in ripping off a driver side rear tail light. Had I a fuel can hanging off the side, not good. Recess into the side window or hang on the rear.
DIY $75 rear mount
Jeep Wrangler JL Fuel Storage Options DIY tailgate mount
Jeep Wrangler JL Fuel Storage Options JL w- 4 Wheel Drive decal

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
How do you like the Ace? I had their rear bumper/tire carrier on my jk, really liked it.
The rear bumper is tough. I think it would survive being ran over by a Tank. I have dropped over many ledges out west and it never flexes into the tub of the Jeep. I think that even if I hit it with a sledge hammer or a splitting maul, I would not be able to damage it. With that said, it is heavy.

I love the tire carrier. It has been carrying my 37s on bead locks with easy. Pretty much rattle and noise free. It comes with Rotopax mounts, a High Lift Jack mounting points, and a cb antenna mount. It is a one hand easy open for the tail gate. I like the solid license plate mount for the plate. and camera. They even sent a wiring harness for the license plate light and third brake light that you can easily un plug when using the spare. The fasteners are metric so you do not have to carry additional tools if you need to do something to it.

Now for the negative. The back up camera mount is slanted slightly to the driver side. I got used to it as the lines on the screen are lined up like you are turning slightly as you back up. I could probably bend the mount to adjust it, but it is just not that big of a deal to me.

Sponsored

turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
Drago Jeep Products. Will fit even with a 37" mud terrain tire and its rock solid. Will hold a 3 gallon Rotopax.

Trailrax look cool, but to widen your footprint, and line the sides of your vehicle with gasoline... not so much a fan. Water maybe, but still.

I've seen plenty of times that those would have caught on an obstacle, rock, tree, etc.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fuel Storage Options DA894637-6018-41DD-8EF7-891AB3AD5F3B

https://dragojeepproducts.com/products/rotopax-mount-holder-bracket-for-mopar-tire-carrier

Will this bolt on to my new 2021 Rubicon 2-door? Or does it require any drilling or other pieces? Thanks.