Fuel Economy screen question

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
A bit of a random question...on the screen between the tachometer and speedometer, you can cycle through various views and one of them in labeled Fuel Economy. When on that view you can move right or left to see two different views of fuel economy. I assumed one was for the current trip and the other was for fuel economy since the user last reset but...a) the fuel economy is the same for both, all of the time and b) when I do reset, by holding the OK button, they both reset. Any ideas on what their differences should be and how best to operate them? PS I know I could read the manual and find out but I don't have it handy at work and being a first time Jeep owner I'm trying to engage more on boards.
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
A bit of a random question...on the screen between the tachometer and speedometer, you can cycle through various views and one of them in labeled Fuel Economy. When on that view you can move right or left to see two different views of fuel economy. I assumed one was for the current trip and the other was for fuel economy since the user last reset but...a) the fuel economy is the same for both, all of the time and b) when I do reset, by holding the OK button, they both reset. Any ideas on what their differences should be and how best to operate them? PS I know I could read the manual and find out but I don't have it handy at work and being a first time Jeep owner I'm trying to engage more on boards.
From page 200 of owners manual (2019)...

Fuel Economy
Push and release the up or down arrow button until the Fuel Economy icon is highlighted in the instrument cluster display. Push and hold the OK button to reset average fuel economy feature.
Toggle left or right to select a display with or without Current Fuel Economy Information.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Basically here's what it means. On one when you drive you will see a yellow then green indicator going up and around the middle half circle indicating the real time fuel economy. In the middle is the average gas mileage. To the right I think in yellow it shows digitally n real time so it's kind of neat looking as the center gauge and the digital indicator are always changing - flooring it will make it turn yellow and driving conservatively will show it green. The other one is static and just displays the overall fuel economy but no moving gauges or anything. So yes - they both do the same thing but one's interactive and the other isn't. It's kind of difficult to tell them apart - especially if idling as they will look nearly identical.

OP
OP
SF Pacer

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
Thanks for the replies. Was not expecting that answer. I did notice that one had the real-time measurement while the other didn't but just assumed there were other differences too. Seems a bit over-engineered to have two of the exact same views with just the one simple difference. I would have preferred and expected that each would display fuel economy for each separate view. This way you could have one for your year to a date value and the other for a specific trip. I'm admittedly being picky as I love my Jeep and certainly didn't buy it to monitor my fuel economy.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
On the real MPG settings, not the one that shows yellow/green and moves all over the A and B settings are trip mile . if you set one A for MPG when you fill up, you arrive at your off road spot you can set B to zero track your Off Road trip for distance and still keeping track of the whole trip mileage.

I'm sure I've misunderstood your question but byt this is an answer...maybe. Most vehicles I've owned have always recently had twotrip settings.

Go Jeep!!!

Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Mine shows 3 different MPG values. Pressing ok only resets the screen I’m on when I press it.

I do get the message that holding the ok button will reset all values. Maybe there is a difference between pressing it and holding it - I haven’t tried it because I like the way mine is set now.

BCTrails4x4

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Willys
Basically here's what it means. On one when you drive you will see a yellow then green indicator going up and around the middle half circle indicating the real time fuel economy. In the middle is the average gas mileage. To the right I think in yellow it shows digitally n real time so it's kind of neat looking as the center gauge and the digital indicator are always changing - flooring it will make it turn yellow and driving conservatively will show it green. The other one is static and just displays the overall fuel economy but no moving gauges or anything. So yes - they both do the same thing but one's interactive and the other isn't. It's kind of difficult to tell them apart - especially if idling as they will look nearly identical.
Regards to this yellow/green line, I’ve noticed mine go from right to left. So the more I give it gas, the green line will be yellow but to the right side of the gauge near to where it says “Current”. The less gas I give it will fill the entire cluster in green but to the left side. The “Current” will show lowest number if it full green. But I’m confused, shouldn’t it be going left to right not right to left? Someone plz help me out here.

BCTrails4x4

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Willys
Thanks
Regards to this yellow/green line, I’ve noticed mine go from right to left. So the more I give it gas, the green line will be yellow but to the right side of the gauge near to where it says “Current”. The less gas I give it will fill the entire cluster in green but to the left side. The “Current” will show lowest number if it full green. But I’m confused, shouldn’t it be going left to right not right to left? Someone plz help me out here.
thanks in advance……

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
On mine is very optimistic too. When hand calculating mileage it's usually off by 1 mpg.
Sponsored