mllcb42

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe HA, 392XR
hardly ever is never.
Actually never, as in it never fires up at all, or never intentionally for long periods of time? I don't mean prolonged usage, but short bursts, like if you remote start to warm the car up when it's cold, or during a little acceleration burst here and there, etc.
Sponsored

Muzakman

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Clubs

I think I figured out why F n ORe can linger, and it comes down to gas. I filled my car with regular here in downtown Chicago, and I failed to take note of the octane/ethanol content.

temperature drops, and crappy gas combusts crappily, triggering the various sensors and logic controlling FnOre (not Iron Ore though that’s fun). My guess is that even after temp rises back up, crappy gas remains crappy and crabby from the cold.

my evidence? Couldn’t shake the FnO mode for weeks. Tried everything reasonable, added more than 4gal (bad) gas, got the oil temp to 210 for half hour, etc. then, after burning through the rest of my tank, I filled it up with a higher grade gas.

Almost immediately after I started it up after filling, it came back on for about the amount of time it took to get back on the highway before shutting off. Haven’t been since since, three weeks ago or so.

tl;dr - just ’cuz you own a PHEV don’t mean you get to skimp out on gasoline if you’re facing extended deep cold

LibertasJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ (former), JL (current)
Reading this thread has taught me two things: (1) you folks are incredibly forgiving and patient; and (2) I will not be purchasing a 4xe as my next Wrangler.

Live-AxleX2

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLXP
So many different threads on different Forums regarding the same issue, ICE power engaged the day cold weather hit mid November. That traction motor still launches the 4XE pulling away from my heated garage with the engine warming-up driving at fast idle, about 1800 RPM.

So, I've had my Jeep for almost 11 months and know more than the Senior Tech at the Dealer Service dept. Still, with all my research with these postings, no one is intimate enough to know what is actually happening including myself!
What I do know:
1) Startup in heated garage has engine start immediately because last recorded temp at shutdown the night before was sub-zero.
2) Resetting Oil Life will restore Electric Mode for a few days only. After that, it's worse, "Stop/Start" is now permanently disabled.
3) Switching back to original 20" wheels from Winter Tires on 18" wheels makes no difference.
4) Haven't found a Dealer that has Service Techs in-the-know on this product, not just trained on a OBDII Scan tool, module exchange and 400V electrics. What we have in the 4XE is a "Canned Product" where everything is supposedly fixed. We are at the mercy of Dealer Service Techs who are afraid to make programming adjustments.

So, other threads are saying "I-told-ya-so, 4XE is NG in cold climes". Well I beg to differ. My 4XE cost about $3K less than a conventional Wrangler, no regrets. Just hope FCA steps up to the plate and resolves the electric propulsion on battery issue. Having only 33.33% of designed Hybrid functional is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
Sponsored