Front ParkSense Retrofit

andr240

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara 4xe
I know US market JLs don't have the option, but I want to know if anyone has attempted(or better yet succeeded) in retrofitting the front sensors from the international market JLU on a US JLU.

I did a search before posting and didn't come across any definitive answers except for some threads mentioning some intentions to try to add it. Nobody confirming they did it.

I have four main questions:

Is there a definitive list of parts to make this work posted somewhere?
I know I'll need the sensors, module, and mounting hardware, but does my current fog light wiring harnesses have the plugs for the sensors or will I need new harnesses as well?
Can US dealer source/sell the parts necessary for the retrofit?
Since my JL already has ParkSense (albeit the rear only), is it plug and play or will it take extra programming of the UConnect to recognize the extra module and sensors?

Any answers will help and I appreciate any extra information.
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I can answer only your second question definitively. The fog light wiring that you currently have does NOT have any provision for parking sensors. I don’t know if the sensors require a different fog light harness or if they’re on a completely separate harness altogether.

OP
OP
andr240

andr240

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara 4xe
I can answer only your second question definitively. The fog light wiring that you currently have does NOT have any provision for parking sensors. I don’t know if the sensors require a different fog light harness or if they’re on a completely separate harness altogether.
Thank you. That's one down and three to go

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
As an alternative, have you considered simply adding the front camera if you don't have it?

OP
OP
andr240

andr240

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara 4xe
GATORB8, I'm not going that route because I'm mostly looking into doing this as an interesting project to focus on. I know the camera would be more or less plug and play and plenty of people have done it. I thought it'd be fun to try and add the front parking sensors and shouldn't be impossible given it's offered in other markets.

I've put together what I believe to be a mostly complete list of parts. If anyone can help with the wiring and module to figure out what the differences between part numbers are that'd be great.

Park Assist Module: 68441031AC or 68441032AC
Module mounting nut: 6509367AA x 2
Park Assist Sensor: 5YV68TZZAA x 6
Decoupler Ring: 68271824AA x 6
Front Fascia Wiring: 68336462AE or 68336460AD

Sponsored

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
i tried ordering those 2 front fascia wiring from an online mopar parts provider, and they told me those parts are not available. I'm assuming its because I"m not in europe or asia. I asked a parts supplier in canada and its all of nafta that gets shut down. I'm in the process of just building the wiring harness in the bumper myself. I've already added the new connector to the fog light harness and all the wiring from C3 on the module to the front bumper connector. I pulled the fog light harness from my bumper and put it on the new connector. The existing connector for the fog lights is only a 4 pin connector. The new connector is 12 pin.

I have attached most of the drawings you'll need I sourced all the below connectors and their pins at mouser. Just size your pins to the wire you intend to use. Some people are providing the harness prebuilt, but if you are savy and want to do it yourself, its not difficult. I ran it through the gromment on the passenger side up near the BCM (body control module) and it comes out under the passenger fender liner right at the aux battery, then the rest of the way on the upper rail away from the heat of the exhaust components. Since I started from scratch, i chose to put my module on the backside of the SGW (security gateway module) since I knew I was going to run the front assist also once I got the back fully operational. I sourced my 3 pin connectors to connect to the front sensors on aliexpress. They were 84 cents a piece and includes the 3 pins. The sensors I sourced on ebay and am going to try to use the bmw park assist sensors since they are only $7.50 a piece instead of $25+. This was a tip from my overseas sources that say its the same component, and work as a good replacement for the overpriced mopar ones. Part number for these little gems are AM-3329882179 . If you are cautious and want proof these actually work, you can wait for another week and I will have my front assist completely done and I can confirm these work for our jeeps.

short list of what you'll need:

1. park assist module c3 connector.

2. you'll need another park assist module if yours that you have in your vehicle doesn't have the 3rd connector. If yours only have 2 connectors, then its only for the rear assist. New or used module is fine. Ebay used modules are ridiculously priced so use the new price as a guide though..

3. 6 sensor connectors and their pins. I only found them on aliexpress, and its 14 day shipping so not terrible.

4. 1 bumper chassis side connector and pins.

5. 1 bumper side connector and pins.

6. Wiring from the module to the front bumper connector chassis side. I bought multicolored wiring on amazon to fill this spot.

7. Either the harness (if you get the front fascia harness for the bumper then you won't need items 3 and 5) or wiring from the front bumper connector to all of the sensors in item 6.

Good luck, its not a terrible retrofit. Way easier than adding adaptive cruise control lol. And yes, you can add adaptive cruise control after the fact. Just watch ebay or used auto parts locally for the module. I sourced 2 for $150 each, so it makes it worthwhile. New is 10 times that amount or $1,500. But thats another topic.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front ParkSense Retrofit new connector chassis side to front bumper

Jeep Wrangler JL Front ParkSense Retrofit old connector chassis side to front bumper

Jeep Wrangler JL Front ParkSense Retrofit wiring diagram

Jeep Wrangler JL Front ParkSense Retrofit old connector bumper side to fog lights

Jeep Wrangler JL Front ParkSense Retrofit new connector bumper side to fog lights and sensors

Jeep Wrangler JL Front ParkSense Retrofit park assist module C3 connector

Jeep Wrangler JL Front ParkSense Retrofit sensor connectors

OP
OP
andr240

andr240

First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara 4xe
i tried ordering those 2 front fascia wiring from an online mopar parts provider, and they told me those parts are not available. I'm assuming its because I"m not in europe or asia. I asked a parts supplier in canada and its all of nafta that gets shut down. I'm in the process of just building the wiring harness in the bumper myself. I've already added the new connector to the fog light harness and all the wiring from C3 on the module to the front bumper connector. I pulled the fog light harness from my bumper and put it on the new connector. The existing connector for the fog lights is only a 4 pin connector. The new connector is 12 pin.

I have attached most of the drawings you'll need I sourced all the below connectors and their pins at mouser. Just size your pins to the wire you intend to use. Some people are providing the harness prebuilt, but if you are savy and want to do it yourself, its not difficult. I ran it through the gromment on the passenger side up near the BCM (body control module) and it comes out under the passenger fender liner right at the aux battery, then the rest of the way on the upper rail away from the heat of the exhaust components. Since I started from scratch, i chose to put my module on the backside of the SGW (security gateway module) since I knew I was going to run the front assist also once I got the back fully operational. I sourced my 3 pin connectors to connect to the front sensors on aliexpress. They were 84 cents a piece and includes the 3 pins. The sensors I sourced on ebay and am going to try to use the bmw park assist sensors since they are only $7.50 a piece instead of $25+. This was a tip from my overseas sources that say its the same component, and work as a good replacement for the overpriced mopar ones. Part number for these little gems are AM-3329882179 . If you are cautious and want proof these actually work, you can wait for another week and I will have my front assist completely done and I can confirm these work for our jeeps.

short list of what you'll need:

1. park assist module c3 connector.

2. you'll need another park assist module if yours that you have in your vehicle doesn't have the 3rd connector. If yours only have 2 connectors, then its only for the rear assist. New or used module is fine. Ebay used modules are ridiculously priced so use the new price as a guide though..

3. 6 sensor connectors and their pins. I only found them on aliexpress, and its 14 day shipping so not terrible.

4. 1 bumper chassis side connector and pins.

5. 1 bumper side connector and pins.

6. Wiring from the module to the front bumper connector chassis side. I bought multicolored wiring on amazon to fill this spot.

7. Either the harness (if you get the front fascia harness for the bumper then you won't need items 3 and 5) or wiring from the front bumper connector to all of the sensors in item 6.

Good luck, its not a terrible retrofit. Way easier than adding adaptive cruise control lol. And yes, you can add adaptive cruise control after the fact. Just watch ebay or used auto parts locally for the module. I sourced 2 for $150 each, so it makes it worthwhile. New is 10 times that amount or $1,500. But thats another topic.

This information is EXACTLY everything I need! THANK YOU

This project has been pushed to January but now I can start sourcing everything and will be ready to hit the ground running.

Was there any extra coding or programming that needs to be done on the car to recognize the retrofit? Did you start with rear parking sensors and just added the front, or did you not have any at all from the factory?

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have a 2019 base model jeep wrangler. I bought it used from a distressed seller so it was a deal I couldn't refuse. The only option it had when i bought it was the 3.6L motor. So, it had nothing. to support parking sensors. I bought my rear bumper online from a reseller for about $300, that was actually steel and not the 15 pound plastic bumper. Its sad they put that bumper on the jeep. IF somebody rear ends you, your jeep is totalled. At least with the steel bumper, there is some sense of confidence that it would hold up better, but by how much?

Adding the rear steel bumper was from a rubicon, so to keep it all normal looking, I sourced some rubicon fenders on marketplace and put those on. Not a hard job at all, and it adds another 1.5-2 inches of space under the fenders.

I've retrofited power windows, power door locks & power mirrors, RKE, PKE, hard top and the mopar kit to add the rear wiper and washer system, 5 inch to 8.4 inch uconnect, auto climate control (work in progress), adaptive cruise and front windshield deicer, auto headlights, auto highbeams, blindspot monitoring, heated seats, steering wheel and exterior mirrors, lighted mirror and mopar garage door opener in visor, electrochromatic rear view interior mirror, and current project, rear park assist (which is pretty cut and dry) and now working on the front park assist. The rear was pretty much a no brainer and went together very easily. I added to the existing rear and front harnesses by custom making and running from the park assist module to the front and rear bumpers.

2019 wrangler never had acc/fcw as an option, so I had to flash the bcm and speedo to a 2020, which was the first year it was introduced. Its causing me a few headaches in the park assist, and am worried it might be affecting the park assist module. Might have to go to a 2020 park assist module to get the fronts to work properly. To throw another wrench in the project, my wrangler is manual transmission. I'm not quite sure what activates the fronts. I get the screen, I get the park assist front and rear in uconnect, everything looks good, but the fronts never detect anything. When I go forward, the park assist turns off. The only thing that is activating it is when I put the transmission in reverse. So no idea atm. My problem is I don't know what a normal system is suppose to do so I have to learn how it works to help me.

It also could be the bmw sensors i'm trying to substitute, so......I might need to switch to mopar sensors. If I wasn't so lazy, I would pull the rear bumper and put the bmw ones in there and see if they work....

To enable the front in the bcm, you'll have to activate the front system in a few places. Do you have AOBD or jscan? I heard it can be done with a tazer also, but can't help you there.

Last edited:

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
@rhill2901 - wow that’s awesome! And gotta love this forum that this type of info is on here (and people are willing to spend the time to write it).

do you have a separate thread on your build? I’m looking to add rear sensors to a Sahara 4xe and blind spot monitors so wanting to check how plug and play that is and what I need to do. Didn’t want to thread jack this thread though.

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
@rhill2901 - wow that’s awesome! And gotta love this forum that this type of info is on here (and people are willing to spend the time to write it).

do you have a separate thread on your build? I’m looking to add rear sensors to a Sahara 4xe and blind spot monitors so wanting to check how plug and play that is and what I need to do. Didn’t want to thread jack this thread though.

No not really, when I first came on this blog, I got harassed by some of the forum spamers, telling me I"m stupid, not possible, too costly etc. I spend more time on the gladiator forums though. Anyways, the rear is pretty easy. You'll need:

1. Park assist module for your model year. (~$80) used on ebay can be a little cheaper. not vin locked.
2. rear bumper with the 4 sensor holes already in it. (about $300-$350 on ebay).
3. Bumper harness that has the license plate light power and the sensor wiring for the park assist. I think mopar calls it "rear bumper fascia" or at least something like that.
4. You'll need the connector and pins that connect to the rear bumper from the body harness. There are some companies that build a harness and make all this part of a kit.
5. The 2 connectors & their pins for the park assist module, one is for the connection to the rear bumper and the other is for power, ground and the can ihs connection.
6. 1 connector & pins for the can ihs connection.

I also bought wire loom tape from amazon, made from a black cloth just like mopar uses.

On the blind spot monitoring, more than likely, you don't have tail lights that support it. So like me. My originals were halogen.

1. left and right led tail lights that have the space for the blindspot sensor modules (located inside tail light). I bought after market ones for aprox $200 on ebay.
2. The mirrors that support blind spot monitoring was about the same price on ebay.
3. There is a lot of wiring to get this up and working. You'll need to run can ihs from each tail light to the can ihs connector behind the glove box. I guess you could use the one in the rear wheel well inside panels.
4. Then a pair of wires to each one of the new mirrors ran to the door connector, then to the mirror connector.
5. The blind spot modules themselves. I couldn't find any used, so I bought from mopar.

There are alot of vidoes out there that discuss both of these processes. Some are sponsored so they want you to buy their stuff. It can be done with all used parts, nothing is vin locked. New can be a better price in some cases, but if your caught with a backorder issue, it could take a long time.

Sponsored

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Update:

I couldn't locate the correct park assist module to run the fronts in the US, so I purchased one from a recycler in the UK. I have it all together but I'm getting an overload condition from the power draw from the bmw sensors I used. So they may not be acceptable in the wrangler jl. I can get it to work and it does detect objects when I connect half of the sensors, turn the power on, and then connect the other 3 sensors, front park assist works like its suppose to. However, connecting all 6 up and putting the vehicle in run, overloads the module and the supply drops to 0. Could be a bad module, but also could be the sensors. So i'm kinda forced to source 6 oem wrangler jl 2019 sensors and see if they will work. The bmw sensors are probably the problem. I'll check back as soon as I get them in and test it again.

Yawnie'sPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLUR, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Would love to do something like this on my wife's JLU 4xe.
We could only find limited JLUs available with the stuff she needed and wanted, and she's made a comment before about how her "Grand Cherokee used to always beep at me when too close" and this one doesn't.
She'd love to see something like this added.

With my lack of depth perception - would not be a bad idea on my JT as well..

rhill2901

First Name
Nobody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yay!!! Front park assist works now. While the BMW sensors was drawing too much current when 6 were installed on the front bumper, I bought 4 jeep sensors for my 2019 installed them, and now it works. If your just replacing one sensor, at the max 2, you can use the bmw sensors. It was a rough road, but I have crossed the finish line.

Recap:

1. I used AllData online to get the part numbers for the connectors and what size wiring I will need, and the pins for the connectors. The wire I used was from an old harness I bought from the wreck yard and cut the wiring that wasn't in the harness and created my custom harnesses to both bumpers, built the connectors up, and wired as per mopar's diagrams.

2. I built a custom harness for the front bumper, and found from ebay a complete rear bumper harness with the sensors attached for $25.00 (A steal!!!!).

3. I sourced my front and rear bumpers from other jeep owners on ebay that had the holes already cut out and included the sensor mounts. You could just drill out your bumper, and get the same result. They are just holes in the bumper. Nothing special about the holes, recommend you get someone to measure where their sensor holes are and drill them in the same spot. Then youll need the sensor brackets, cheap plastic fittings that will break if you put any strain on them, but available on ebay, but I think aliexpress has them pretty cheap.

4. The sensors I sourced on ebay also, waited until some popped up below $30 and bought 3 at $25 each, and the 4th one I got solo at $30. The rest were $40 or higher. The bmw ones will work as long as you limit it to 2.

5. The module is the hardest part to get. You can't buy front park assist modules in the US. I had to source mine in the UK through an online salvage yard. Your rear park assist module will not work. As an alternative, you could program the firmware in your module, if it at least has the 3rd connector that goes to the front bumper. I have a 2020-2024 wrangler jl park assist module, I think the last 4 are 1031, and programmed it for front park assist which is the 1032. I cannot find anyone with the 2019 firmware for the module that includes front park assist, so UK was my only option. If your interested in the one for the 2020-2024, or its compatible with your jeep and you want it, I ask that you give me $70 plus shipping and I'll send it to you. My bcm sees this module but threw a DTC incompatible module installed.

Good luck if you try this retrofit, now that someone has done it, it will be easier for others to do it. Let me know if you have questions. I'm not much into sitting in front of the computer making step by step procedures, so please don't ask lol.

Last edited:

mikegldn

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Xtreme Recon, 1989 XJ
Thanks for posting all of your findings - I've been following along! Do you have the part number for the needed parking module? I'm going to be in the UK in June (Isle of Man TT races! Yay!) and might pick one up while I'm there.
Sponsored