Front Lockers

Nodak99

First Name
JOHNNY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
It drives differently than an open front. You have to know you have it installed (ie I don't let my kids or wife drive the Jeep in the winter without a good lesson first). It will push through corners if you accelerate hard. But if you let off the gas in the corner the locker does it's job and let's the outside wheel turn faster. I would usually just pull it out of 4wd when I had to make a tight turn.
One more thing, the torq locker in front will push on ice similar to a front wheel drive car or crossover. In my experience, If you let off the gas it corners just fine.
Sponsored

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
One more thing, the torq locker in front will push on ice similar to a front wheel drive car or crossover. In my experience, If you let off the gas it corners just fine.
You answered my other question as well. Can you still "shift on the fly" with the torq?

Nodak99

First Name
JOHNNY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Do you have the manual transfer case? Or the full time 4wd system? You can't use a mechanical locker with full time 4wd. If you have the manual t-case you can shift on the fly. I think the torqlocker instructions say less than 45 mph.

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Nailed it. It is difficult to justify spending so much on axles when our Jeeps are so capable. Being honest to oneself on what kind of wheeling one will be doing is the most important.

People wheel pretty hard in the U.S. we forget how much we push our Jeeps in this country and whats "moderate" for most hardcore wheelers is pretty darn difficult for most people without a built Jeep.

The reality is that with small mods you can safely take on most "moderately difficult" mainstream trails in the U.S. you wont be doing anything "hardcore" but trails that are just tough enough to make it fun.

I realized this when I did Gold Mountain. Most experienced jeepers in the area consider this to be "the easiest of the hard trails". Moderate, yet not difficult. For a stock Rubicon it is difficult, for a stock sport it requires a very experienced driver. And youll most likely get body damage.

The main 2 obstacles on Gold Mountain are very painful without lockers. And other obstacles ive taken on "moderate" rock gardens in southern Cali are miserable without lockers. The BLD system is unpredictable, jerky, slow to react, and overall it is just not fun; unnatural.

When I dropped a $400 locker on my front axle wheeling became a lot more enjoyable. It makes a substantial difference. Perhaps a rear locker is better, but how much?. Maybe my rear LSD helps, but I crawl through obstacles now that used to be very, very hard before.

Finding a set of rubi axles for 4200 is pretty difficult. Youre looking at 5~6k and dont forget about shipping if buying new... And thats if you install the axles yourself, so factor your time in as well.

I personally got to the point I am happy with the trails I am doing. I do need and use my front locker, my 33s, my rear LSD, my winch, and my better-than-rubi flex. These "moderate to moderately difficult" trails are an absolute blast, and I know my axles can take it, because I dont drive too aggressively.

My 2 door jeep will end up on light 34s, with the stock rubi wheels, a locked d30, locked rear dana44 and 4.56s. I tow a small camper with it and it needs to be a good driver on the road. This is $400 for the front locker and about $2000~2500 for the regear and rear locker.

My point on this long post. It is all relative. And if I decided to do actual hardcore wheeling I wouldnt be going rubi axles but better. So yes, a front locker is well worth it for most people. Mostly because that Torq locker is a damn nice option that we have available to us building budget oriented, yet capable Jeeps. My next Jeep will be a Rubicon, but this is what I have now. I got a good deal on it and it makes sense for me to do these upgrades.
I know older.... but great post Entropy!
Inspiring for my new JL Willys!
Thanks! 👍

Sponsored

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72Bronco, 95-12v,48Cj2a,53Cj3b,52M38-v8, JlSport
Occupation
Electrician
Base Sport 2dr JL with auto.
Been running the Torq Locker/front & Nitro Helix/rear for six months. So far it’s seen sand, mud and rocks but no snow yet - but sure it will be fine as long as I drive it like it has a locker ;). Pavement manners have been great - don’t even know it’s there in 2wd except some clicking in tight turns, which I like to hear. In 4wd it’s a real goat! So far I am very happy with the set up - especially for the simplicity, no wires, switches, solenoids, electronics or nanny micro management - which is why I bought the base Sport in the first place.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Been running the Torq Locker/front & Nitro Helix/rear for six months. So far it’s seen sand, mud and rocks but no snow yet - but sure it will be fine as long as I drive it like it has a locker ;). Pavement manners have been great - don’t even know it’s there in 2wd except some clicking in tight turns, which I like to hear. In 4wd it’s a real goat! So far I am very happy with the set up - especially for the simplicity, no wires, switches, solenoids, electronics or nanny micro management - which is why I bought the base Sport in the first place.
That Nitro Helix seems like a huge "bang for the buck" with the current 1/2 price deal, and not having any wear parts makes it even more so :) I've had the Torq-locker for about 7k miles thus far, haven't had a chance to take it off road yet though :(
Have a Dana 44 w/ LSD waiting to be put in so should be similar to what @entropy is running.
FWIW I haven't heard any noticeable clicking in 2wd, even when turning sharp. When I put it in 4wd it ratchets/clicks when turning as it should. Maybe the clicking in 2wd is mild in tone perhaps, I haven't had the windows down or the top off so maybe???

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
That Nitro Helix seems like a huge "bang for the buck" with the current 1/2 price deal, and not having any wear parts makes it even more so :) I've had the Torq-locker for about 7k miles thus far, haven't had a chance to take it off road yet though :(
Have a Dana 44 w/ LSD waiting to be put in so should be similar to what @entropy is running.
FWIW I haven't heard any noticeable clicking in 2wd, even when turning sharp. When I put it in 4wd it ratchets/clicks when turning as it should. Maybe the clicking in 2wd is mild in tone perhaps, I haven't had the windows down or the top off so maybe???
Wow! That’s quite the sale, I paid full price! :facepalm: For the average Jeeper that’s to good a deal to to pass up! Add a torq locker giving a Sport real Jeep capabilities for less than $800
As for “clicking” I only hear it occasionally on sharp turns.

Edit: You might think about that deal on the Nitro Helix unit for “when” or before that clutch pack wears out.;) There is quite the thread on the factory LSD wear contaminating the gear oil and ruining inner bearings. True or not, - idk

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Wow! That’s quite the sale, I paid full price! :facepalm: For the average Jeeper that’s to good a deal to to pass up! Add a torq locker giving a Sport real Jeep capabilities for less than $800
As for “clicking” I only hear it occasionally on sharp turns.

Edit: You might think about that deal on the Nitro Helix unit for “when” or before that clutch pack wears out.;) There is quite the thread on the factory LSD wear contaminating the gear oil and ruining inner bearings. True or not, - idk
Yeah, w/ Christmas coming up I'll have to think if Santa believes I've been good enough to have that Nitro Helix under the tree :) That price really makes it a no-brainer!

Sponsored

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Torq Locker in the front, (M186 w/FAD I assume)?
I'm considering this same F/R arrangement, (TL-Front, Nitro Helix-Rear), as you, w/4.56.

Nice street manners you say?

Had a CJ-7 with a D-60/Detroit Locker in the rear years ago. Man, you sure (occasionally) knew you had a locker going around turns on the street, BANG!! 😆.... but unstoppable offroad.

I'm thinking the FAD would really minimize most of the (if any) TL drama?

Your thoughts are much appreciated,
Thanks!

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
Torq Locker in the front, (M186 w/FAD I assume)?
I'm considering this same F/R arrangement, (TL-Front, Nitro Helix-Rear), as you, w/4.56.

Nice street manners you say?

Had a CJ-7 with a D-60/Detroit Locker in the rear years ago. Man, you sure (occasionally) knew you had a locker going around turns on the street, BANG!! 😆.... but unstoppable offroad.

I'm thinking the FAD would really minimize most of the (if any) TL drama?

Your thoughts are much appreciated,
Thanks!
Detroits, yeah, had them, love 'em for off road, except when 'trying' to turn tight :LOL:. The street manners of the Torq is nothing like a detroit. In 2wd I cannot even tell it is there except for some occasional clicking when turning. Even in 4wd it is pretty mild mannered as it doesn't seem to push to much in turns in sand, rocks, and mud, but haven't had it in snow yet (soon).

As for the FAD, the mechanics of it tells me the front driveline is going to turn. Idk if anyone makes a hub kit for the JL, since it hasn't been any "drama", I haven't looked into it.

Edit: Idk what engine you have, but I drove a Rubi 3.6 MT with 4:10s and I didn't care for the gear ratio - it felt like it wasn't developing enough torque. Maybe a set of 35s would of made it better? Idk, why the 4:56s? Maybe you are going to run larger tires?

Last edited:

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Detroits, yeah, had them, love 'em for off road, except when 'trying' to turn tight :LOL:. The street manners of the Torq is nothing like a detroit. In 2wd I cannot even tell it is there except for some occasional clicking when turning. Even in 4wd it is pretty mild mannered as it doesn't seem to push to much in turns in sand, rocks, and mud, but haven't had it in snow yet (soon).

As for the FAD, the mechanics of it tells me the front driveline is going to turn. Idk if anyone makes a hub kit for the JL, since it hasn't been any "drama", I haven't looked into it.
Nice that you say it doesn't "push" much....
A friend years ago had a Lock-Right (lunchbox) in his D30... He would complain about the turning radius on the trails.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Lockers are over-rated.
We had 8 Jeeps on our last trip to Moab, 7 of them were on 35’s or bigger and locked front and rear. The last Jeep was a 3” lifted 2 dr JK on 33’s, open diffs and stock gears (3.45’s?).
That JK did every single obstacle one every trail we ran, hell, he even did one climb nobody else even attempted.

Flatties 4ever

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Electrician
Nice that you say it doesn't "push" much....
A friend years ago had a Lock-Right (lunchbox) in his D30... He would complain about the turning radius on the trails.
Hmmm... did he have a rear locker?
That's one of the reasons I went with a rear lsd. Rear lockers will make it push. A front locker, (if there is enough traction), will literally pull you in the direction you are steering especially if you get on the throttle. In slippery conditions the front may slide instead of steering - 'sometimes" a little more aggressive throttle will fix that, then sometimes it'll just go straight.
Sponsored