Sponsored

Regearing JLUS, time to throw in front lockers?

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be re-gearing my JLUS'18 to 4.56 so this is probably the best time to throw in front lockers.

After doing some research, I don't believe the lunchbox-style auto-lockers (e.g. TORQ locker) are a good option to go along with a SelecTrac case that spends most of its time in 4H Auto, so I'm heavily leaning towards selectable lockers such as the Ox Dana 30 lockers (electric or cable).

I don't think the kind of usage I put in warrants a front axle upgrade ($$$$). I mostly stick to overlanding and medium-difficulty rock crawling and I've hardly ever felt the need for lockers while off-roading with more capable vehicles such as JL(U)Rs -- using break torque modulation and good lines have always done the trick for harder obstacles. However, I plan on doing the Rubicon this summer and want to start off-roading in snow.

I know the M186 is not meant for off-road abuse, I'm just looking to understand if it can tolerate the occasional non-hardcore off-roading with a locker in it.

Other relevant info:
- Engine & trans: 2.0T w/ 8 speed auto
- Transfer case: SelecTrac 2.71:1
- Front diff: Dana 30 m186 open diff
- Rear diff: Dana 44HD m220 w/ LSD
- Gear ratio: 3.45 (factory), going to 4.56
- Tires: 35" Milestar Patagonia
- Suspension: Dynatrac EnduroSport

PS: Does anyone know what brand/type the LSD is and what kind of maintenance it requires? I wasn't able to find any info on it (e.g. Torsen, clutch pack, etc.)
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You'll be fine with the front locker if you're smart with the skinny pedal. I'd honestly put a locker in the rear as well. The LSD is pretty much garbage and will be worn out sooner rather than later.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Locker, regear price...I would honestly rather get a D44 before spending that. Honestly, I don't know where you are in life, so I get it if this is the way you can. Just remembering my TJ and having three different sets of axles under it makes me have PTSD. If I could go back, I would have waited on the TJ...I was always chasing the next level and had to redo things more than once.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
You'll be fine with the front locker if you're smart with the skinny pedal. I'd honestly put a locker in the rear as well. The LSD is pretty much garbage and will be worn out sooner rather than later.
Right. And go ahead and get an Ox locker there as well while they’re in there if he’s going that route. He won’t need the axle shafts like I did.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
You can get a set of used Rubi axles in the $3500 to $5000 range. That will be with 4.10's.

So if you can be happy with 4.10 gears it's a great upgrade and solves most of your problems all at once.

If you consider that the two lockers are $1800 and another $1300 for gears installed you are almost at take-out Rubi axles prices and still on D30's.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kurt rustle

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I don't know where you are in life
At that point where I know I should have gotten a Rubi :CWL:

I'll eventually upgrade but want to see how the 4xe does with modifications (lift, bigger tires, aftermarket armor, etc.) before committing to one.

I don't oppose the idea of an axle swap, especially if I can recover some money by selling my current axles. Let's do some math...

Based on a quick search, sound like a basic re-gearing would run for about $1200-$1500. Adding the front locker, I imagine it'd be another $1500 parts and labor (I won't dare DIY this surgery), so $3k+ total, complete loss and still running on D30 m186...

A set of Rubi axle take-offs goes for about $4-5k, the switch cost is negligible, and looks like labor is a bit less intense/specialized than messing with the existing differentials -- much more DIY'able. If I could get back some $2k for my D30 m186 and D44 m220 w/ LSD, we're back in the $3k range, but running 2xD44 m220 with e-lockers... This is an interesting option.

Are there any incompatibilities running Rubi lockers on a Sahara, given they're about 1.5" wider?

OP
OP
kurt rustle

kurt rustle

First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 2.0T
Vehicle Showcase

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR

I'll eventually upgrade but want to see how the 4xe does with modifications (lift, bigger tires, aftermarket armor, etc.) before committing to one.

I don't oppose the idea of an axle swap, especially if I can recover some money by selling my current axles. Let's do some math...

Based on a quick search, sound like a basic re-gearing would run for about $1200-$1500. Adding the front locker, I imagine it'd be another $1500 parts and labor (I won't dare DIY this surgery), so $3k+ total, complete loss and still running on D30 m186...

A set of Rubi axle take-offs goes for about $4-5k, the switch cost is negligible, and looks like labor is a bit less intense/specialized than messing with the existing differentials -- much more DIY'able. If I could get back some $2k for my D30 m186 and D44 m220 w/ LSD, we're back in the $3k range, but running 2xD44 m220 with e-lockers... This is an interesting option.

Are there any incompatibilities running Rubi lockers on a Sahara, given they're about 1.5" wider?
As far as I know, it's all bolts in if you get the wiring and switches. The wider track is a plus IMO.

Be happy. The rubi didn't exist until after I had already been through a "super 35" upgrade. Just trying to help you not spend more than needed doing it twice. Don't look at past mistakes, avoid future mistakes.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone to buy your front axle, even the rear might be tough to unload. I definitely wouldn't plan on getting more than $1000.

Last edited:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
@Moto_21 Can you give us the lowdown on axle swaps? I know you swapped D30 to D44 front and rear.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
@Moto_21 Can you give us the lowdown on axle swaps? I know you swapped D30 to D44 front and rear.
Like what info are you looking for? Its just a simple unbolt and bolt up. Only the rear brakes dont fit from sport to rubi. What other info?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Like what info are you looking for? Its just a simple unbolt and bolt up. Only the rear brakes dont fit from sport to rubi. What other info?
I think that was all that was needed; that you confirmed it's a pretty straight forward bolt and go. Thanks.
Sponsored