Front Lockers

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
The majority of my Jeep Sport's use is overlanding. I do however rock crawling occasionally and get limited without any lockers. Does anyone run only a front lunchbox locker? I don't need lockers for overlanding but want better capability for those times I find myself crawling over rocks. I know running only fronts does affect steering but wanted any other pro's or con's.

Trying to be cost effective with how I equip my Jeep. I need a massive lightbar... that'll solve everything, ha.

Thanks
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Why would you limit installing lockers to just the front? Not a fan of "lunchbox lockers". I'd forego the "massive lightbar" in favor of a couple lights and a good locker.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
I believe I saw @entropy and @blnewt discussing this very thing. Tagging them to see if they can give you insight into their experience.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I just installed the Torq Locker lunchbox type locker in the front yesterday, no time to try it out yet. Ask @entropy he's been running the same unit for about a year and he's a fan :)

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Just get a quality selectable rear locker. Even for moderate overlanding, you're likely to need it at some point.

Then I'd just leave the front open. The use case for a front locker is very narrow.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
I ran a Yukon LBL in the front of my TJ. Other than the slight clicking in some left turns I had no real issues. You need to adjust your driving style though. Your jeep will want to push/understeer in 4wd as with any front locker, so you may need to go to 2wd for tighter turns on the trail.

Eventually I added a detroit rear locker as well.

Last edited:

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
I had a front Torq locker in my WJ. They function well but have some drawbacks. Aside from clicking in parking lots on turns, and heavier steering in 4WD, my main gripe was we have a lot of trails here (nothing technical, just regular rough desert trails) that have sharp turns uphill as they go up around a mountain, and on those uphill twists the locker always made one of my front wheels continually slip against the ground. I really didn't like that.

Sponsored

At Risk Ute

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
milehightrails.com
Vehicle(s)
‘94 YJ, ‘21 JLR, ‘22 JLUR XR, ‘23 392 XR
Occupation
Retired Navy
I say go for it (assuming you‘ve got an LSD rear). Can always put a locker in the rear once the clutch packs wear out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Front Lockers A4BA3B31-ABCF-4D12-BBF2-BCD999DF26AD

SFDemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara EcoDiesel
I have a Sahara Diesel with limited slip, which is perfect for most of my driving and off-road. I like the idea of a front locker, but selectables are expensive and of limited need for me. I would prefer an electric one if I did it, for less complexity than air lockers

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

I’d consider maybe throwing a Spartan in the rear if that’s an option. I had a LSD rear, Spartan front in my XJ and it kicked ass.

OP
OP
ResqFE

ResqFE

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
"If" I opted for a selectable rear electric, what are recommendations? Cost with install?
Sponsored