Sponsored

Foolish salesperson

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
even if you pay cash some finance guy still bugs you to sell their warranty/protection plan/and talks you into their 0% apr financing. Some dealer are just horrible.
My dealer was awesome. The floorplan manager handed me the extended warranty brochure and asked me if I was interested. When I declined, she said take the paperwork home, read it at my leisure, that I could signup at anytime, that the dealership got paid an additional ~$250 if they were to sell it, and that if I did decide to sign up for it later to please mention the dealership so they could get paid.

I really appreciated the lack of pressure, the disclosure of how they got compensated, and their acting in my best interests. It's also why I will be going back to them when it is time to replace my Jeep. Why can't every dealer be like that?
Sponsored

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
Seriously, this is just wrong! We need to get rid of all the systemic gender biases. Why do you lean towards male children?

It should not be workperSONship, but maybe workperCHILDship.
WHAT? Child??? That is so "agist". We should just call it, ehhhh, ahhhh..... JUST DELTE the whole word! there, solved it!

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
I think the reason people are seeing such unqualified sales people is that car sales is a dying profession. One of my good friends was consistently in the top-ten nationwide for Toyota truck sales for almost 15 years. The manufacturers are squeezing commissions for more profit. He was selling more and more cars and actually losing income. He legit quit last summer and is now in the painters' union in NYC

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250
even if you pay cash some finance guy still bugs you to sell their warranty/protection plan/and talks you into their 0% apr financing. Some dealer are just horrible.

sorry, but if you have to be talked into 0% financing, you have math issues:blush:

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
sorry, but if you have to be talked into 0% financing, you have math issues:blush:
never but they definitely trying. There is a sucker born every minute. They will get their sucker.

Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
And seems if they don’t get 10/10 out of their survey they don’t get commission.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
never but they definitely trying. There is a sucker born every minute. They will get their sucker.
Maybe I am missing something but how is taking 0% a sucker? If you take your final price and divide by the number of payments that is what you are paying per month. No one is going to pay negative interest which would be the only thing better than 0%.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Maybe I am missing something but how is taking 0% a sucker? If you take your final price and divide by the number of payments that is what you are paying per month. No one is going to pay negative interest which would be the only thing better than 0%.
Well, first of all 0% is not actually 0%. Depending on who the sponsoring lender is the actual interest is somewhere between 0.1% and 0.9%, but usually closer to the 0.9%.
Second, 0% financing is calculated on invoice, plus an administration fee, plus tax. The admin fee is always between $500.00 and $1,000.00. Rarely, if ever, is 0% financing calculated on a negotiated sale price.
Lastly, 0% financing is usually only available on extended term loans i.e. 60, 72, 84, or 96 month terms. You hardly ever see it applied to a shorter term. The idea is that although the interest is low, compounded interest over a longer term works out in the lender's favour.
Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and 0% financing is not a free lunch.
Depending on your financial point of view it might be KD or filet, but whichever it is, it's still not free.

CTMopar

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ, 20 Cherokee Trail Hawk & 21 JL Willys
Well, first of all 0% is not actually 0%. Depending on who the sponsoring lender is the actual interest is somewhere between 0.1% and 0.9%, but usually closer to the 0.9%.
Second, 0% financing is calculated on invoice, plus an administration fee, plus tax. The admin fee is always between $500.00 and $1,000.00. Rarely, if ever, is 0% financing calculated on a negotiated sale price.
Lastly, 0% financing is usually only available on extended term loans i.e. 60, 72, 84, or 96 month terms. You hardly ever see it applied to a shorter term. The idea is that although the interest is low, compounded interest over a longer term works out in the lender's favour.
Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and 0% financing is not a free lunch.
Depending on your financial point of view it might be KD or filet, but whichever it is, it's still not free.
I have never done a 0% but have only seen it offered on 36 months or less. If you are financing 0.9 is still better than 1.9

SFDemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara EcoDiesel
I asked a local salesman about ordering a diesel 3.0 Sahara and all he talked about was the Hemi, Hemi and I said, no diesel. Needless to say, Roger from Crown in Dublin, Ohio is dumber than a bag of hammers.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Zero percent is not a goof deal if you have to give up cash incentives to get it. If it is the only incentive and does not require you to give up anything to get it, then it;s a good deal.

Don't shop payments, shop bottom line price. Almost always, zero percent will have you paying more/taking on more debt.

If I was in auto sales right now, and I had any other options, I would probably leave. What incentive is there to stay when there are few opportunities to earn a commission? No inventory means no income. So, the best guys leave and all that are left are new guys who are learning and older guys who will be retiring soon. The older guys have a clientele, the younger guys are hungry for walk in business, but know nothing.

I hate, hate, hate when I walk into an unfamiliar dealer and the young guy with bad dress clothes wants to know what kind of payment I want. I'll leave at that point. As a matter of fact, I have learned that when I pull into dealer where the sales staff is wearing ties, it's time to leave.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
I just tried the same thing OP did. My phone call:

me: do you have a JLURD?
them: lolwtf?
me: stop using stupid acronyms!!!!

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR

I get downright ANGRY when offered free money. Do you want to do karate in the garage?

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Not true. Chrysler Capital was running the 0%/36 month financing for at least the past year, I hear much longer than that. This short term is too steep a monthly payment for many but if you have the cash, keep/invest it elsewhere and use theirs. I negotiated and inked the final price, then applied for the financing after. As CTMopar simply put it earlier in this thread, the total negotiated price divided by 36 is my payment, not a cent more.

Last edited:

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Are all 12 pages of this thread full of people that won't shop at stores with self checkouts or is it just page 1?
Sponsored