Sponsored

FOLDING WINDSHIELD DIY instructions write-up (with video)

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
This was reported before HERE.

Check out the thread, poster found a tool to help with removal.
Sponsored

Greenie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
It was tough the first time I tried it, but got easier after that. You have to fold up the wiper and rock it back and forth and side to side while pulling firmly at the base of the wiper. Putting a little rotational force on it helps, as well. When putting them back on, no need to push them all the way on, just get them lined up and use the hex nuts do the work of seating the wipers. Good luck!
This was reported before HERE.

Thank you both!

Amirtahmasbi

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I can't take out the windshield wipers it seems they glue there!!! any tricks or solution can help

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Anybody experience issues with the wiper not coming off easily after removal of the bolt? I removed both bolts but wiper arm seems stuck and won’t remove easily.
Yes.

One wiper blade puller on Amazon later and the blade (the passenger's side) came off. I threw the tool in the cargo area tube. Some people claim to have technique for this, like banging the unbolted blade connection to the rig with an open palm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076PY8785/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I figured the tool was cheaper then breaking something and having to pay my dealer to get it fixed.

Sponsored

StingGrayRhino

First Name
Eliez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sahara
What's the maximum speed without ties you can drive with this thing down?

ClusterHead

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal JLUR Recon, 2014 HD Street Bob, Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Data Managenet Lead
Vehicle Showcase
JL WRANGLER FOLDING WINDSHIELD

Tools Needed
  • Torx #T40 Bit
  • 15mm socket
  • Ratchet

FOLDING AND RAISING WINDSHIELD

Lower your soft top or remove the hard top.

2. Remove (using your hands) the protective caps over the windshield wiper hex bolts shown in the photo below.

jl-wrangler-foldingshield-diy-1.jpg

3. Use a 15mm socket to remove the two hex bolts underneath the caps shown in the photo above and remove the windshield wipers.

4. Lower both sun visors.

5. Use a #40 Torx bit to remove the four Torx screws located along the interior of the windshield shown in the photo below (remove screws from the same locations on the driver's side).

jl-wrangler-foldingshield-diy-2.jpg

NOTE: Remember to store all the mounting bolts in their original threaded holes and tighten so they are not lost.

6. Lower the windshield until it contacts the foot-man loop bumpers (if equipped) on the hood shown in the photo below.

jl-wrangler-foldingshield-diy-4.jpg

NOTE: If desired, the entire windshield can be removed by simply removing two more bolts located at the hinge at the base of the windshield (bolt location shown in photo below)

jl-wrangler-foldingshield-diy-5.jpg

7. Secure the windshield by passing a cinch strap through the footman loops on both sides of the hood and on the windshield frame (in the areas indicated by arrows below). Tighten the strap to secure the windshield.

jl-wrangler-foldingshield-diy-3.jpg

To raise and reinstall the windshield, reverse the steps above.

VIDEO OVERVIEW

This video we put together from the JL Wrangler LA Auto Show debut provides an overview look at the process.

Thank You! These are excellent step-by-step instructions. However, they don't work for me. I don't know if my issue is only related to people who have the JLU Rubicon Recon or not. Here is my issue. I would appreciate if anyone could help [Thanks in advance].

Please see the attached file...

Attachments

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@ClusterHead

Your JL, apparently has the ADVANCED Safety group option.. You know, the pricey option you ordered on you JL that gives you Adaptive cruise control, etc..

The instructions / video that you are trying to follow were authored way before the ADVANCED Group option was even made available for the JL..... so that is why those instructions that in their time were very good, but now lacking..

Not sure if anyone here with the ADVANCED Safety Group option on their JL, has dropped their front windshield yet. Hopefully, if there is someone that has, they will post to this thread and tell you how..

In lieu of that... don't bother going to a dealership and asking as my guess is they will be clueless as to how.. Where I would go is your Local Safelite Auto Glass store. I'm sure they will be able to tell you how to get past that box affair on your windshield that is part of your ADVANCE Safety group option.

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
Thank You! These are excellent step-by-step instructions. However, they don't work for me. I don't know if my issue is only related to people who have the JLU Rubicon Recon or not. Here is my issue. I would appreciate if anyone could help [Thanks in advance].

Please see the attached file...
I have the ACC but never lowered the windshield. From what I see, the ACC module is not attached to the windshield. The two wires that you are seeing stays on and will go down with the windshield. Unless you missed another bolt, you may have to use some force to get the windshield down.

Hopefully this video will help you out.

ClusterHead

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Managenet Lead
Vehicle Showcase
@ClusterHead

Your JL, apparently has the ADVANCED Safety group option.. You know, the pricey option you ordered on you JL that gives you Adaptive cruise control, etc..

The instructions / video that you are trying to follow were authored way before the ADVANCED Group option was even made available for the JL..... so that is why those instructions that in their time were very good, but now lacking..

Not sure if anyone here with the ADVANCED Safety Group option on their JL, has dropped their front windshield yet. Hopefully, if there is someone that has, they will post to this thread and tell you how..

In lieu of that... don't bother going to a dealership and asking as my guess is they will be clueless as to how.. Where I would go is your Local Safelite Auto Glass store. I'm sure they will be able to tell you how to get past that box affair on your windshield that is part of your ADVANCE Safety group option.
@Rhinebeck01,
Thanks for the response. That makes sense to me. Ha - I went to my dealer yesterday and you're correct. If I ever figure it out, I will definitely share the info. Thanks, -David Y.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01,
Thanks for the resonse. That makes sense to me. Ha - I went to my dealer yesterday and you're correct. If I ever figure it out, I will definitely share the info. Thanks, -David Y.
@ClusterHead

I just asked a guy in another thread that has ACC to come and help you out... to explain how if he can.

After you remove all the necessary bolts you may have to put some real force up top in a forward motion.... that windshield frame/gasket may be sticking tightly together.. Just get butch with it so to speak....:like:

ClusterHead

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Managenet Lead
Vehicle Showcase
I have the ACC but never lowered the windshield. From what I see, the ACC module is not attached to the windshield. The two wires that you are seeing stays on and will go down with the windshield. Unless you missed another bolt, you may have to use some force to get the windshield down.

Hopefully this video will help you out.
@cns721,

Thanks for linking the video. He made it look so easy. When I tried to do it, I left the freedom panels on. I wonder if they are somehow locking my windshield in place? If not, then I guess there is just an unusual amount of sealer I'll have to wrangle free. I appreciate the quick responses. I will try these recommended steps later this evening, once it cools off a little. I live in an area that is part of the Mojave desert. We hit a record breaking 130 degrees last week. Cheers

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@cns721,

Thanks for linking the video. He made it look so easy. When I tried to do it, I left the freedom panels on. I wonder if they are somehow locking my windshield in place? If not, then I guess there is just an unusual amount of sealer I'll have to wrangle free. I appreciate the quick responses. I will try these recommended steps later this evening, once it cools off a little. I live in an area that is part of the Mojave desert. We hit a record breaking 130 degrees last week. Cheers
@ClusterHead

I think your issue was that you left the Freedom Panels on.... Let us know how you make out..

Also, always be careful with those two wires fastened to the windshield.

When you eventually replace you windshield.... when it gets cracked/damaged, etc., you will need to have your glass place order the specific JL windshield with the 2 wires coming out of it. It is not the same windshield used on non AAA optioned, JL's and JT's.

Also, when you replace the windshield, it will have to be calibrated... cost can be $100+- for calibration.

ClusterHead

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Managenet Lead
Vehicle Showcase
@ClusterHead

I think your issue was that you left the Freedom Panels on.... Let us know how you make out..

When you eventually replace you windshield.... when it gets cracked/damaged, etc., you will need to have your glass place order the specific JL windshield with the 2 wires coming out of it. It is not the same windshield used on non AAA optioned, JL's and JT's.

Also, when you replace the windshield, it will have to be calibrated... cost can be $100+- for calibration.

@cns721,
Yes, I will reply here with the results of my next attempt at lowering the windshield, and yes - I will be careful about the wires as I lower the windshield. Thanks for the info about windshield replacement. I know it is inevitable, but I'm really not looking forward to the day I need to replace it. But, I own (and have modified) a Harley Davidson, so I am all too aware of the high-cost of replacement parts and maintenance. ;(

ClusterHead

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Data Managenet Lead
Vehicle Showcase
@ClusterHead

@Rhinebeck01,
Yahoo! That solved my problem. I removed the Freedom Panels and the windshield lowered without any issues! Thank you and cns721 for your help. It was very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
-David Y.
Sponsored

Last edited: