Sponsored

FOLDING WINDSHIELD DIY instructions write-up (with video)

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

JL WRANGLER FOLDING WINDSHIELD

Tools Needed

• Torx #T40 Bit
  • 15mm socket
  • Ratchet

FOLDING AND RAISING WINDSHIELD

1. Lower your soft top or remove the hard top.

2. Remove (using your hands) the protective caps over the windshield wiper hex bolts shown in the photo below.

jl-wrangler-foldingshield-diy-1.jpg

3. Use a 15mm socket to remove the two hex bolts underneath the caps shown in the photo above and remove the windshield wipers.

4. Lower both sun visors.

5. Use a #40 Torx bit to remove the four Torx screws located along the interior of the windshield shown in the photo below (remove screws from the same locations on the driver's side).

jl-wrangler-foldingshield-diy-2.jpg

NOTE: Remember to store all the mounting bolts in their original threaded holes and tighten so they are not lost.

6. Lower the windshield until it contacts the foot-man loop bumpers (if equipped) on the hood shown in the photo below.

jl-wrangler-foldingshield-diy-4.jpg

NOTE: If desired, the entire windshield can be removed by simply removing two more bolts located at the hinge at the base of the windshield (bolt location shown in photo below)

jl-wrangler-foldingshield-diy-5.jpg

7. Secure the windshield by passing a cinch strap through the footman loops on both sides of the hood and on the windshield frame (in the areas indicated by arrows below). Tighten the strap to secure the windshield.

jl-wrangler-foldingshield-diy-3.jpg

To raise and reinstall the windshield, reverse the steps above.

VIDEO OVERVIEW

This video we put together from the JL Wrangler LA Auto Show debut provides an overview look at the process.

Sponsored

Last edited:

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Thanks.
Step 6: footman loops (if equipped)? Why wouldn't they be? All models will have a fold down windshield? Right?
Step 7: no pics of the cinch strap secured. No footman loop on windshield frame leaves some ambiguity how it attaches. Looks to me a cinch strap should have a hook or some type of attachment to insert into those holes you depict with yellow arrows.

Kind of sucks, but understandable that the top need to come down or off. But at least you can just remove freedom panels on hard top or flip back front of sunrider top.

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Once we get our hands on the Mopar cinch strap we'll update.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
So it doesn't leak when put back into place?

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I’m calling it now. I bet the next generation/redesign will have locking latches for the windshield where once the windshield falls onto the hood, it automatically clicks into 2 latches.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I’m calling it now. I bet the next generation/redesign will have locking latches for the windshield where once the windshield falls onto the hood, it automatically clicks into 2 latches.
My guess is that the next generation Wrangler’s hood will be hinged at the front, and you’ll be able to open the hood, fold down the windshield and stow it in the engine bay. This will all be accomplished via electric actuators.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
My guess is that the next generation Wrangler’s hood will be hinged at the front, and you’ll be able to open the hood, fold down the windshield and stow it in the engine bay. This will all be accomplished via electric actuators.
And the hardtop will automatically fold inside the trunk :cwl:

Sponsored

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
> 15mm socket

Thank god it's metric

Greenie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Anybody experience issues with the wiper not coming off easily after removal of the bolt? I removed both bolts but wiper arm seems stuck and won’t remove easily.

Last edited:

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Any body experience issues with the wiper not coming off easily after removal of the bolt? I removed both bolts but wiper arm seems stuck and won’t remove easily.
It was tough the first time I tried it, but got easier after that. You have to fold up the wiper and rock it back and forth and side to side while pulling firmly at the base of the wiper. Putting a little rotational force on it helps, as well. When putting them back on, no need to push them all the way on, just get them lined up and use the hex nuts do the work of seating the wipers. Good luck!
Sponsored

Last edited: