Fog light wiring

Thatguyracing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Door JL Rubicon
I have a bumper that does not have fog lights. I want to add a light bar or some kind of LED lights. Does anyone see an issue if I cut and splice the original fog light harness into the new light bar? I’d then be able to use the already installed fog light switch on the headlight control switch.

CA28494F-C7EA-4714-A445-74D6BF5668C2.jpeg
Sponsored

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.
Depends on the lights power draw. If the light bar is too much for the stock fog light harness use the stock harness as the trigger for a new relay that draws power directly from the battery.

How big of a light do you plan on?

OP
OP

Thatguyracing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Door JL Rubicon
Depends on the lights power draw. If the light bar is too much for the stock fog light harness use the stock harness as the trigger for a new relay that draws power directly from the battery.

How big of a light do you plan on?
not sure yet. Not too big, just something that lights up.

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will need to know the wattage of the lightbar before knowing whether or not you can direct wire to the foglight harness. I'd say anything under 25W is fine to do this. Anything higher, use a relay.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
Will need to know the wattage of the lightbar before knowing whether or not you can direct wire to the foglight harness. I'd say anything under 25W is fine to do this. Anything higher, use a relay.
This is the answer. I recently removed my front bumper (2021 2-door JL) and used a meter to measure the current draw from one of the lights. It works out to 24W for one light. For convenience I'm planning on installing a set of these so I can avoid all that wiring work.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/kc-hilites/2-c-series-c2-led-area-flood-light-system

I couldn't find too many lights that were 25W. Most in this little size are either 20W or 30W.

Sponsored

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
This is the answer. I recently removed my front bumper (2021 2-door JL) and used a meter to measure the current draw from one of the lights. It works out to 24W for one light. For convenience I'm planning on installing a set of these so I can avoid all that wiring work.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/kc-hilites/2-c-series-c2-led-area-flood-light-system

I couldn't find too many lights that were 25W. Most in this little size are either 20W or 30W.
I9 believe the fog light circuit is something like 20 or 30 amps: Stedi.com.au has some 40 watt pod lights (under work lights/4wd-camping category) that only draw about 2.1 amps. the amp ratings for some of their light bars are:
14 INCH ST4K 24 LED DOUBLE ROW LIGHT BAR; 4.9 amps
22 INCH ST4K 24 LED DOUBLE ROW LIGHT BAR; 8.9 amps
28 INCH ST4K 24 LED DOUBLE ROW LIGHT BAR; 11.5 amps
32 INCH ST4K 24 LED DOUBLE ROW LIGHT BAR; 13.5 amps

the ST3K Single row bars are rated as follows:
11.5"; 2.1 amps
21.5"; 4.3 amps
31.5"; 6.5 amps
41.5"; 8.6 amps

I"ve found Stedi to be better than, for instance, the rigid lights, NOT made in
China (made in Australia) with far better warranty coverage AND customer service. personally, I'll never buy anything but STEDI with regards to light bars or pods

Jeep Wrangler JL Fog light wiring IMG_5512

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Are the factory fogs halogen or LED? If halogen, there's PWM happening that will likely not play nice with your aftermarket LEDs. I ran into this (sport) when trying to upgrade my stock fogs to LED.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Are the factory fogs halogen or LED? If halogen, there's PWM happening that will likely not play nice with your aftermarket LEDs. I ran into this (sport) when trying to upgrade my stock fogs to LED.
just step in here really quick: my daughter's sport S came w9ith all halogen: when I upgraded to LED fogs, we got zero warnings or flickering & the oem led fogs were basically plug and play for her sport S..your mileage may vary

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
Thanks for bringing this company to my attention! I think I'm going to give these a try. They look terrific. I also like the mention of them being RF quiet.

https://www.stedi.com.au/c-4-led-flood-light.html
make sure you click on the currency tab in the upper right of the page: I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the difference in pricing between the AUD & USD...with the USD being about 30-40 percent less

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
just step in here really quick: my daughter's sport S came w9ith all halogen: when I upgraded to LED fogs, we got zero warnings or flickering & the oem led fogs were basically plug and play for her sport S..your mileage may vary
Thanks. The oem led fogsmay also be designed to handle 6v or PWM or whatever is happening in that line. Aftermarket light bars probably are not.

OP
OP

Thatguyracing

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Door JL Rubicon

I'm going to use JSCAN to change my computer to LED lights so I stop getting the warning for my turn signals, hopefully this changes the fog lights too.

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, just to be sure this horse is completely dead, I installed these Stedi lights by directly hooking them up to the stock fog light circuit. Absolutely no problem. The picture isn't meant to be a product shot, but really to show how bright these little lights are. Compare to the stock halogen headlights.

Thanks to @MyDaughters20JL for turning me on to this company. Really solid product.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fog light wiring IMG_6131

billychase1974

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUS
Occupation
Senior Corporate IT Analyst
I have a bumper that does not have fog lights. I want to add a light bar or some kind of LED lights. Does anyone see an issue if I cut and splice the original fog light harness into the new light bar? I’d then be able to use the already installed fog light switch on the headlight control switch.

Jeep Wrangler JL Fog light wiring IMG_6131
What light bar did you end up with? I just got that same bumper.
Sponsored