Sponsored

FOB not working/not recognized

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
So I received 3 FOB's when I purchased my Jeep, I have always used the first FOB that was handed to me, while on a road trip the FOB was not recognized, though maybe due to the hot weather the battery was dead, tried the dead battery start method, nothing, when and purchased a new battery, no change.
So glad I had grabbed another one before we left, just in case!
I guess the real question I have is, I know most receive 2 FOB's, I luckily, got 3.
How is this latest battle at the dealer to go?, based on my build sheet it does not specify 1, 2 or 3 FOBS, as well as a lot of other things, I get it that 2 FOB's is cool but 3 is much cooler.
I'm anticipating the excuse will be that I added a BT soft top or something like that.
Thoughts / opinions?
maybe @jeepwave can chime in with a resolution.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Fatman

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
Kinda thought that, although the vehicle is supposed to be able to have up to 8 programmed.
It worked fine for 6 weeks then took a dump, I'm preparing for the battle, my local dealer is beyond clueless about anything, liek if you say hello, it's hot out today the service idiots say "what do you mean"

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
If it were me, and I wanted 3 fobs, and it turned out to be an issue like @mwilk012 has suggested, I'd be willing to have my dealer flash the JL for a fee to have the extra fob work.

I'd feel different if 3 fobs were on the bill of sale, wanting the dealer to do this for free.

I'm assuming you can have more than 2 fobs active at one time.

If you go this route, bring all 3 fobs to the dealer. The working ones may need to be reprogrammed too.

: - )

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Step one, I would question why you received 3 fobs to begin with. Anomalies are almost never a good thing when it comes to dealerships. If it’s something good like the dealership thought it would be nice to give you a spare $250 fob, you do need all 3 there to be reprogrammed usually as Rahneld said.

Best of luck getting it sorted out, good thing you had that spare with you. It’s a weird thing though, these batteries last a long time.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Step one, I would question why you received 3 fobs to begin with. Anomalies are almost never a good thing when it comes to dealerships. If it’s something good like the dealership thought it would be nice to give you a spare $250 fob, you do need all 3 there to be reprogrammed usually as Rahneld said.

Best of luck getting it sorted out, good thing you had that spare with you. It’s a weird thing though, these batteries last a long time.
Exactly. I'm curious why he has 3. I have never been given 3 keys whenever I got a vehicle.
Sponsored