Flat towing behind RV

billdunnells

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I'm all set to flat tow my 2018 JLU behind my RV. Blue ox base plate installed, Blue ox tow bar and all wired 4 pin to 6. BUT unlike my older jeep, In which I had to insert the key one click to unlock the steering wheel , NO key used in my 18 jlu , read the manual but no mention about steering wheel or what to do with the fob while towing ? (does it need to be left in the jeep ?
Sponsored

TMac99

First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sahara
No, it does not need to be left in the Jeep. If you follow the instructions in the manual for flat towing, you end up with the ignition in the OFF position. The JL does not have any type of steering lock and the key fob does not need to remain in the vehicle - I have flat towed my JLU many times without the fob in the Jeep.

OP
OP
billdunnells

billdunnells

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
No, it does not need to be left in the Jeep. If you follow the instructions in the manual for flat towing, you end up with the ignition in the OFF position. The JL does not have any type of steering lock and the key fob does not need to remain in the vehicle - I have flat towed my JLU many times without the fob in the Jeep.
Thank you !!!!

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Thank you !!!!
I now always leave my FOB in the Wrangler, I had a Brake Meltdown 3 weeks ago where the brakes were glowing red and smoking like crazy (it looked like I was on fire), it was just short of fire or was happening and I could not see it, I had crawl underneath throwing cups of water on the brakes to prevent a major fire (scary situation fortunately the rotors survived no warping). My 1st though was to unhook the wrangler and having the keys inside the wrangler facilitated the speed of unhooking and backing away.

Towing a 5000lb wrangler can be no joke, my 2018 Fleetwood Bounder under 5K miles the brakes had a total meltdown, Note: this was on a 7 mile 6% downhill grade). I learned that the brakes on the Ford f53 chassis are not the best and I ended up replacing them with much heavier duty brakes. Also note that even through I have a a braking system in the wrangler that does not relieve all the stress on the M/H brakes.

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Lightsout, sounds like you may be on the edge for weight being towed behind a gas coach. Just a thought, maybe flat tow something lighter. Or get a DP with a cummins 8.9L or larger.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I tow my JLUR on an aluminum trailer behind my motorhome and can't hardly tell its back there. I have to look and see it in the rear camera. I pull it with a Fleetwood Southwinds with a V-10 motor. The motorhome is rated at 8,000 pounds for towing though. I wanted to keep all the wear and tear off the Jeep. Trailer tires and trailer brakes are cheap.

Jmonroe

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and a '99 Camaro SS convertible I bought new
Occupation
Retired
We've flat towed a number of Jeeps over the years but most pertinent to this discussion would be our '07 JKU Rubicon or our '12 JKU Sahara. Both were towed thousands of miles with no I'll effects. The Rubicon had 80k on the odometer, probably another 25k as a toad and still had the original tires on it when it was wrecked. I replaced the all terrains on the Sahara after roughly 40k on the odometer and another 20 as a toad.

The Jeep is tough and if the steering and suspension components are all kept in good shape, there's no need to complicate life by having to deal with a trailer.

ktfjammer

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangle Sahara Unlimited
I see you have a Sahara JLU. What wiring harness are you using? I saw on another thread that the blind spot sonar stopped working.
Thank you, Jim
Sponsored