Flat-tow Set-up

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Newbie here who found this forum today while searching for information on towing with a RH bumper. This is certainly a touchy subject but I have only 1 question right now. Does anyone have photos comparing the LoD bracket with the factory brackets attaching the bumper mounting plates to the frame?

Mopar does MOT have any Frame tie in bracket and Mopar Does not recommend towing via the bumper (only a frame mounted to bar or frame tie in bracket) so the LOD Tie in Bracket is the only option out there right now that provides Mopar compliance to circumvent the frame plate. The Bumper frame plate simply is not strong enough on its own which is why the Frame Tie in Bracket is so important...
Sponsored

Al G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU
Mopar does MOT have any Frame tie in bracket and Mopar Does not recommend towing via the bumper (only a frame mounted to bar or frame tie in bracket) so the LOD Tie in Bracket is the only option out there right now that provides Mopar compliance to circumvent the frame plate. The Bumper frame plate simply is not strong enough on its own which is why the Frame Tie in Bracket is so important...
There most certainly are brackets already there. You even included a photo of them in post #87 of this thread. I'm simply asking if anyone has a photo comparing the LOD brackets (which even you approve of) with what came from the factory.

I'm well aware of your views on bumper towing after reading it many times on numerous threads. I'm interested in gathering enough information to make my own informed decision.

Since you been very adamant that bumper towing is not approved what evidence do you have that towing is approved with the LOD brackets?

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
What did Rock hard try to charge me for?

So 200K miles makes you a towing wizard and that qualifies you to denounce the disclosures of the Mopars engineers? Mopar should fire them all and hire you to engineer and certify all their components.

I think Rockhard makes a great bumper and I encourage all to consider purchasing from them. But they are a very small fab shop that is taking incredible risk going against the recommendation of the OEM vehicle manufacture. They are the exception not the rule as 95% of all the other bumper manufactures warn against towing from their bumpers, HMM WONDER WHY? is it because Mopor says Don't?

Now if you want to tow I do recommend LOD since they offer the Frame Tie in bracket or at the very least buy the LOD bracket for your Rockhard or other bumper.

My only observation is all the idiots towing from the bumper/frame plate with No direct frame connection putting everyone at risk that is sharing the road. Sounds like you are in that category as well.

But if you (the self appointed towing Towing authority (look I am only mirroring Mopars position) say it is OK it must be right? Especially since you claim to have been towing with Rockhard bumpers for 30 years long before Rockhard even existed.

I guess since my JL never had the dreaded death wobble that it must not exist? That is how imbesilic your experience claim is. laughable in fact
You must have missed 4 different toads. Not all were jeeps. I DID NOT say I used Rock Hard for the last 30 years. Please try to read AND comprehend.

wtbman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
What I have done to my aluminum Rock Hard 4x4 bumper. I added housings for the brake away cable and the tow umbilical cable. This is much cleaner looking and keeps me off my knees.

front.jpg

brake.jpg

lights.jpg
Sponsored