First windshield in the books....

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Sahara Altitude Diesel
Driving home from the beach this morning, not a car in front or back of me, had to be someone going the other way, karraaaack, nailed me right at the edge of the windshield, spidered 8 inches before I even got to pull over to the side of the road. Son of a ......., by the time I finally got home spread another 8 inches in 2 directions, no fixing that!! Fortunately it didn't hit paint. Called around for new windshields this afternoon and looking at around $600, called 3 places and they were all with in $25 of each other, so I guess that is the going rate in my area. Ok, so question, in only 2100 miles I have had 2 solid rock hits, both on the highways at highway speeds, so do like the old school bug deflectors, the ones you mounted on the leading edge of your hood do any good? Hate the way they look, but man, I sure don't want to be getting a new windshield on the regular, especially at $600 a pop!!!!
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Unfortunately the JL windshields are VERY fragile. Like you said there was no vehicle in front of you. I have had cars going the other direction kick up rocks that my car ran into. Not much you can do but try Gorilla Glass or lower your insurance deductible. Some States have 3rd party windshield insurance also. Others States make insurance companies pay for broken windshields without a deductible. I think FL does?

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
Our USAA insurance here in Connecticut covers windshields with zero deductible, zero cost. Super easy with Safelite.

Tygerman76

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper S Countryman, 2018 Mini Cooper S Hardtop, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I have the "Jeep" branded bug reflector mounted. Looks good and keeps my window cleaner than without

Tygerman76

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper S Countryman, 2018 Mini Cooper S Hardtop, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Found a photo, easy to install too.

IMG_20190731_203201.jpg

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Riperoo

A stone guard or bug deflector is not going to prevent windshield damage.... Sure may deflect a stone or bug on occasion. For sure it will keep chips from occurring on the leading edge of the hood.

A stone guard can look aok though and adds some contrast up front for those color JL's that can use some added dark contrast up front. I have one on my bright white Rubi.

My problem with some stone guards is the gaudy logos on them.... Logos like JEEP, AVS, etc.... Also, I do not care for a stone guard that looks like sun glass plastic... or the flimsy looking ones..

For a very decent / a quality stone guard, that looks very good and has no logo look here.... On sale right now. Install is easy easy and the 3M double sided tape it fastens on with, grips like hell.
https://www.amazon.com/Bushwacker-1...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=FNFQM4GS1D29SAJAP829

Do know that stone guard or not you will indeed have more windshield hits / damage.

DO contact your insurance agent asap and have him/her add, no deductible window glass coverage to your policy. Will cost you a few bucks but it will pay for itself....

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
I've had the bug deflectors on several vehicles now. They do deflect SOME bugs up and over the windshield because of the change in the airflow they create. They WILL NOT deflect a rock...unless the rock just happens to impact the bug shield and ricochet up and over the vehicle.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I guess I’m lucky, 200 miles on the clock and only a star, not cracked and spread, was able to repair it.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Our USAA insurance here in Connecticut covers windshields with zero deductible, zero cost. Super easy with Safelite.
Only in these states:
Arizona, Connecticut, Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New York and South Carolina

The rest of us are hosed...

Sponsored

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Jeep Wrangler JL First windshield in the books.... 20210610_080637
Jeep Wrangler JL First windshield in the books.... 20210610_080615
Jeep Wrangler JL First windshield in the books.... 20210101_134627

I have the deflector and still got the chip. 54k miles in and first glass replacement on any vehicle I've had (5 total). It was a stone this size of a baseball driving under a highway underpass. Sounded like a shotgun. Shook the wife up as it hit her passenger side. $50 deductible -safelite came out and did the job in my driveway 35 minutes. In a week it spread all the way across to the other side - twas 90+ degrees that entire week. Just happy it wasn't cold. Count myself luckily.

Jank4AU

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Interesting because the last time I talked to USAA I was told they only cover windshield repair. If it needs to be replaced then I'll have to pay my deductible. I'm in AL, though.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
check out the racing optics laminated tear-off as well. with discounts, it's only $179 & so far, I haven't yet had anything crack my windshield...as my deductible for glass is $500, I figured this was cheap insurance & haven't regretted the purchase yet