Sponsored

First Trip Report

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Just picked up my new pumpkin 2018 JLU from Dave Smith in Kellogg Idaho. This was new left over stock. 29000 out the door. If you are looking for a crazy good price. Check them out, their business model is sell volume and don't screw people over on fees (270 total). They sell over 200 cars a week. Last check they still had 20 2018's left. They seem to be willing to take 750 off there best deal if you dicker with them some. This is all over the internet.

This is my first drive report. I live 700 miles from my home so two day road trip. After flying into Spokane and riding their free shuttle, I arrived at one of their offices. 3 hours later I was on the road home. The great deal I got had the soft top and the I4 engine. Pumkin color. I wasn't sure about it. But on the test drive we put the top down and hit the interstate. From the smile on my face I had no concerns.

First 50 miles I was getting 15 miles to the gallon doing 75. I'm like, what the crap. But every 50 miles the mpg went up one. At 600 miles it was up to 23.5 mpg doing 80 on the freeway. Now I'm like Okay, this is good. But the last 50 mile when I was doing between 65 and 70 on city freeway I was in the 25 -27 mpg range. By then I was like wholly crap this is amazing.

As for the engine performance, can I say I now love this engine. Power was good but it really shines when you step on it and the turbo kicks in. When I needed to get around cars it would go from 65 to 80 in a couple of seconds. I have a saturn sky redline with the turbo and this is close to it in performance over 30 mph.

Now the transmission. 8 speed automatic. This is the smoothest transmission I have ever felt and I've owned over 35 cars include high end sports cars. I only felt it shift once and that is when we was doing 80 up a steep incline stretch of freeway.

My only complaint is the soft top at windy freeway speeds. It is very loud and I had a hard time hearing my wife talk in the passenger seat. But not bad at speeds of 65 or less.

So now the rest of the fun starts and that is the build. This didn't have siris XM radio so the first item on the build is a siris car kit. I do lot of remote driving and it is must for me. Next will be a ram setup to hold navigation equipment. Nothing worse that getting lost in the back country, other than maybe breaking down. Sat phone is for that.

Next will be equipment for overlanding. I rented a rubicon in moab a couple of weeks ago and it was one of the funnest things I have ever done at hell's revenge, I don't think I want to spend 20 grand getting my vehicle to that point, so overlanding is more my style.

I have one question for the group. The kid helping me check out said don't use synthetic oil for 20000 miles. I was also thinking of doing an oil change this week. Something I have always done after the 500 mile break in period.

What you think? 1. Use synthetic oil now (Mobile 1)? 2. Change the oil now?

Thanks
Sponsored

WES IV

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 dr with hardtop. Firecracker Red.
Occupation
Going over the hills and far away
Just picked up my new pumpkin 2018 JLU from Dave Smith in Kellogg Idaho. This was new left over stock. 29000 out the door. If you are looking for a crazy good price. Check them out, their business model is sell volume and don't screw people over on fees (270 total). They sell over 200 cars a week. Last check they still had 20 2018's left. They seem to be willing to take 750 off there best deal if you dicker with them some. This is all over the internet.

This is my first drive report. I live 700 miles from my home so two day road trip. After flying into Spokane and riding their free shuttle, I arrived at one of their offices. 3 hours later I was on the road home. The great deal I got had the soft top and the I4 engine. Pumkin color. I wasn't sure about it. But on the test drive we put the top down and hit the interstate. From the smile on my face I had no concerns.

First 50 miles I was getting 15 miles to the gallon doing 75. I'm like, what the crap. But every 50 miles the mpg went up one. At 600 miles it was up to 23.5 mpg doing 80 on the freeway. Now I'm like Okay, this is good. But the last 50 mile when I was doing between 65 and 70 on city freeway I was in the 25 -27 mpg range. By then I was like wholly crap this is amazing.

As for the engine performance, can I say I now love this engine. Power was good but it really shines when you step on it and the turbo kicks in. When I needed to get around cars it would go from 65 to 80 in a couple of seconds. I have a saturn sky redline with the turbo and this is close to it in performance over 30 mph.

Now the transmission. 8 speed automatic. This is the smoothest transmission I have ever felt and I've owned over 35 cars include high end sports cars. I only felt it shift once and that is when we was doing 80 up a steep incline stretch of freeway.

My only complaint is the soft top at windy freeway speeds. It is very loud and I had a hard time hearing my wife talk in the passenger seat. But not bad at speeds of 65 or less.

So now the rest of the fun starts and that is the build. This didn't have siris XM radio so the first item on the build is a siris car kit. I do lot of remote driving and it is must for me. Next will be a ram setup to hold navigation equipment. Nothing worse that getting lost in the back country, other than maybe breaking down. Sat phone is for that.

Next will be equipment for overlanding. I rented a rubicon in moab a couple of weeks ago and it was one of the funnest things I have ever done at hell's revenge, I don't think I want to spend 20 grand getting my vehicle to that point, so overlanding is more my style.

I have one question for the group. The kid helping me check out said don't use synthetic oil for 20000 miles. I was also thinking of doing an oil change this week. Something I have always done after the 500 mile break in period.

What you think? 1. Use synthetic oil now (Mobile 1)? 2. Change the oil now?

Thanks
I don't know about oil changes, the manual has that info, but I know you had a great time riding home.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
We recommend you use Mopar API SN PLUS Certified SAE 5W-30 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-13340. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 5W-30 engine oil can be used if it meets API SN PLUS Certification. If SN PLUS or equivalent oil is unavailable then please contact your local dealership for recommendation.

Factory fill is full synthetic, so unless they did an oil change before putting any miles on it, it seems silly to say to use dino.
Sponsored