First Road Trip 1452 miles

sandygar4

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
I have a 19 JLUR with a total of 3966 miles, 2.0 4 cylinder, BFG KM3 35x12.5R17 tires. I use premium gas. The speedometer has not been corrected for tire size change (maybe someone can chime in to give me an idea of true speed). The cruise control was set at the posted speed limit using the speedometer in the car. The MPG was from the factory computer and is given for comparison only.

The trip went from Portland, OR to Salt Lake City, UT and back, total of 1452 miles, Most of the freeway limit in Oregon is 70mph and in Idaho and Utah it was 80mph. The over all MPG was 14.1, I was happy with that considering the aerodynamics of the Wrangler and the tire size. I was really happy with the function of the cruise control--the speed never varied more than 2mph either going up or down through the mountains in Eastern Oregon. The motor has plenty of power, the engine and 8 speed transmission seem perfectly mated. The handling was good there was no iffy wandering even when I hit some fairly big bumps. On a smooth stretch, I tried brief periods with hands off the steering wheel and the Jeep stayed straight and true. It really was a pleasure to drive.

It is a little bit noisy but a dream compared to my 2005 Ram 2500 diesel. Knock on wood I still am not a member of the broken windshield club. As an aside I am sure I killed at least 23 bazillion bugs. I had to stop twice for gas, not because I needed to other than wash the glass.

The trip was great. It was my son's first road trip and we picked up our new German Shepherd boy. If you know Shepherds you understand that it took me two hours to vacuum hair. I think there was enough fur to cover a couple more dogs
Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like an awesome trip, however worth noting that if you've not done so, there's plenty of apps that you can get for your phone which will help you to confirm that the tire size calibration is indeed spot on. I believe even google maps is not only showing you a speed of a given highway but also your speed, much like a Garmin GPS would. I just noticed that the other day.

I have a trip coming up in a week to the Canadian Rockies, should be over 1600-1700 miles one way, first big trip on my 35's. Despite all of the trips around Phoenix and whatnot that I've done over the last 6K miles on them.

Euro JEEP

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Thank you for the write-up.
Without speedometer adjustments I think your speed and MPG will be off quite a bit. At that is what I have experienced years ago.

Nevertheless I am very curious now which engine suffers more MPG loss with bigger tyres? 3.6L or the 2.0L?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
@sandygar4 - Your speed/mpg are off about 7%. When your speedometer says 70, you're actually going about 75. If the MPG says 14.1, you're actually getting about 15.
Sponsored