Sponsored

Fender rivets

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
I popped a few out when I installed marker lights and trying figure out what kind I need. I ordered these on Amazon but they don't look the same.

IMG_20190728_153111.jpg
Sponsored

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
What makes you think the new ones are not right?

I just put some mudflaps on my Jeep over the weekend and used the same/similar plastic rivets.

You do know you need a plastic rivet gun/tool to use them.
They deform behind the fender and the pin snaps off when set.

FWIW I picked one up at Harbor freight for around $16 and it also came with a bunch of the same rivets.

image_12526.jpg

Last edited:

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I have one of these as well. I swapped out the marker lights a while back & ^ ^ ^ this rivet gun ^ ^ ^ will have the size you need.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
helpful on the rivet gun. thanks. I want to install the accessory switches and you have to remove the fender liner.

What's the best way to remove the current rivets? I don't want to scratch the sh*t out of the edge of the fender trying to pry or cut them out.

Sponsored

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
helpful on the rivet gun. thanks. I want to install the accessory switches and you have to remove the fender liner.

What's the best way to remove the current rivets? I don't want to scratch the sh*t out of the edge of the fender trying to pry or cut them out.
I installed the switches myself and when I removed the rivets, I pulled them out with a plastic trim removal tool...but do it gently. The rivets u got are the ones u need, idk about the size thou

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th

I used a pin punch that is just smaller than the center pin on the rivet.
Used it to push the pin into the body of the rivet.
Some I was able to just push by hand, some I had to wack the punch with a hammer.
Once the pin is pushed in then you can use a trim tool to pry them out.
mayhew-punches-nail-setter-sets-89032-64_1000.jpg

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
You can reuse the fender rivets if they are removed intact. I pushed it back in place and used pliers to compress the rivet, pushing the pin in from behind.
fender rivet 3.jpg

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Cut the head off with a sharp pair of dikes/wire cutters. Don’t make it harder than it should be.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cut the head off with a sharp pair of dikes/wire cutters. Don’t make it harder than it should be.
Popping the old one out and reusing it is the easiest compared to purchasing new rivets and a riveter.

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Popping the old one out and reusing it is the easiest compared to purchasing new rivets and a riveter.
The OP didn’t ask for the cheapest method. And we are all driving less than 2 year old vehicles, if we can’t afford less than $20 (including the tool) to do it correctly, then we should be driving something cheaper.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The OP didn’t ask for the cheapest method. And we are all driving less than 2 year old vehicles, if we can’t afford less than $20 (including the tool) to do it correctly, then we should be driving something cheaper.
The subject of the post is "Fender rivets", so I commented on fender rivets. Nobody is asking you to change the way you do anything, I was pointing out that the rivets can be reused, as long as you have access to push the pin back in from behind. Thank you for pointing out that it's also cheaper.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This forum has many "DIY" tips that re-use fasteners, parts. Why waste money and destroy something when a little time, effort and brainpower can save waste ?
Don't trash someone else's ingenuity because you can't be bothered to think it through

mikesicily

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU XR - Sting Gray
Question regarding the rivets on XR. I had broken my fender on a trail. Getting a replacement fender but need to transfer the flare extension. Everyone is talking about using plastic rivets however, the rivets on XR flare extensions are metal.

what's the part numbers for these rivets?