Fastback soft top input for 2021 JLU

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Sahara Altitude Diesel
Hey all, just took delivery of a Sting Gray diesel JLU. My second jeep, the first was over 40 years ago, so things have definitely changed. First thing I want to seriously look at since we are the beginning of summer is a soft top. Kinda set on a fast back soft top, Best top Twill is #1 on the list right now, but looking for any input on alternatives, or suggestions for other manufacturers. Seems like Best top is the 800 lb gorilla in the soft top market, of they have the best marketing campaign. Really like any and all input. I have been searching on here, and lots of great info but this is specific to the JLU fastback which seems a little sparse unless I am missing a thread somewhere. TIA
Sponsored

timannnn6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I had the bestop ultra fastback top. The rear window was a pain to deal with IMO. Opening the window up to load anything was not fun. It’s so large that you literally have to throw it up on top of roof. When taking the window off, the top rail is up there, like reaching way forward to slide off, and the velcro strips holding it on as you slide it off makes it more fun. Getting the rear window back on....you get the picture.
Also the slant of the window limits storage capability (think drawers or stacking storage boxes).
Absolutely loved the look, but everyday use was not working for me. I replaced with factory soft top and love it.

MaineBumpkin

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU, 2021 RAM 1500
Build Thread
Link
Congrats on the new Jeep! I can't speak to the FB specifically but we love our Supertop Ultra! We considered the FB but honestly, it's 100% cool look, 0% function (IMO). As Mike pointed out, it limits storage. Just last week I had some things in the back which would have been too tall for the FB, sure I could drop the back seat down, re-arrange things, etc. but why would I want the hassle? Also, I would highly recommend the 'buy it installed' option.

VAJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I had the bestop ultra fastback top. The rear window was a pain to deal with IMO. Opening the window up to load anything was not fun. It’s so large that you literally have to throw it up on top of roof. When taking the window off, the top rail is up there, like reaching way forward to slide off, and the velcro strips holding it on as you slide it off makes it more fun. Getting the rear window back on....you get the picture.
Also the slant of the window limits storage capability (think drawers or stacking storage boxes).
Absolutely loved the look, but everyday use was not working for me. I replaced with factory soft top and love it.
Agreed! The slant is a problem for larger items like a dog crate. I have the bestop trektop ultra. Love the look but everyday use is not ideal, however, I have gotten use to tossing the back up on top to get things in and out.
I really like it when the glass is out.

With that said..Bestop has provided excellent customer service, my first shipment got lost 😡 but immediately sent another. One of the gas struts broke loose, but they sent a whole new assembly for that side.

Quality product-Great customer service!

timannnn6

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Yes! Bestop service was awesome. Had a stripped bolt in one of top mounts. They sent replacement no questions asked. Phenomenal service.

Sponsored

Mroliver927

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2021 Sahara Unlimited 4xe
I had the Bestop fastback too for 3 years on my previous Jeep. I agree the back panel didn't always play nice when trying to stay engaged on the top and the bottom rail was a tight fit. The fastback style also does limit access to the back and how much you can get back there. As far as using it it was simple and loved the freedom to go half open or totally open with minimal effort. As far as sealing and rain I never had an issue with any leakage, etc. If I had to do it over I would get the same top as I haven't seen anything out there that would work better than that top. Congrats and good luck to you.

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
I knew the fastback would be way less practical but I went with it regardless. I like the looks and you don't see a lot of them in my area. I went with Bestop because I wanted a quality product and is also designed and made in USA. I'm so tired of buying crappy stuff made overseas.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
For the life of me I cannot understand the value of a "fastback" soft top no matter who manufactures it?? Looks maybe but obviously that's gotta be in the eye of the beholder! When the first showed I thought they were regular soft tops with a collapsed rear support!

Maybe it's one of those "Jeep Things" like my gutter leaks??

Go Jeep!!!
Sponsored