Removing Soft Top for JLU

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I want to remove the soft top completely, how difficult is this? From one video of how to install them it looks like both parts at the top just pop off the track then there are two bolts on each side holding the actual mechanism that the soft top rotates around. Is that all? I know install takes longer b/c ur adding a bunch of other pieces but those id just leave on. Thoughts? Insight? Pics?
Sponsored

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2024 JLU Willys 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
2 Bolts on each side then one that the assembly rests on. On my JL that bolt was pinching the plastic that it rests into so I had to back it out a few turns to release it. Make sure you get the top to 'click' all the way down so that things don't try to open when you remove it from the frame (cause at that point it turns into a drunken pack-n-play). I'd say it's probably another minute or two (depending on if you have help) to completely remove it. Then if you're taking all the door surrounds, etc off another 5-10 minutes.

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
2 Bolts on each side then one that the assembly rests on. On my JL that bolt was pinching the plastic that it rests into so I had to back it out a few turns to release it. Make sure you get the top to 'click' all the way down so that things don't try to open when you remove it from the frame (cause at that point it turns into a drunken pack-n-play). I'd say it's probably another minute or two (depending on if you have help) to completely remove it. Then if you're taking all the door surrounds, etc off another 5-10 minutes.
What do u mean "one that the assembly rests on"? I looked at a video and just looked like 4 bolts total, two on each sides mechanism, then that just slides off the plate attached to the frame. And i saw to make sure its locked in and to use the velcro straps to keep the top all in place before slipping it off that top track, thanks for that heads up!

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I want to remove the soft top completely, how difficult is this? From one video of how to install them it looks like both parts at the top just pop off the track then there are two bolts on each side holding the actual mechanism that the soft top rotates around. Is that all? I know install takes longer b/c ur adding a bunch of other pieces but those id just leave on. Thoughts? Insight? Pics?
One owner's "work" is another's trivial task, so my opinion that this isn't hard may not be yours. : - )

Watch the video and then consider the steps in reverse, noting that the metal brackets that attach to the Sports Bar need not be removed--not that doing so is hard--when switching from the Soft top to other options, including no top. But only these parts from the soft top can remain and permit the factory hard top from being put on in its place. : -)

I hope your prior questions are also cleared up by the following:

Happy trails.

Last edited:

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What do u mean "one that the assembly rests on"? I looked at a video and just looked like 4 bolts total, two on each sides mechanism, then that just slides off the plate attached to the frame. And i saw to make sure its locked in and to use the velcro straps to keep the top all in place before slipping it off that top track, thanks for that heads up!
at 12:47 of the video that Rahneld posted. You'll see that the bow assembly has a bolt that goes into a notch on the frame bracket.
Then there are 2 bolts that connect the bow assembly to the frame bracket. Like I said on mine that bolt that rests in the notch was tightened down so much that when the 2 bolts were removed it wouldn't budge.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
at 12:47 of the video that Rahneld posted. You'll see that the bow assembly has a bolt that goes into a notch on the frame bracket.
Then there are 2 bolts that connect the bow assembly to the frame bracket. Like I said on mine that bolt that rests in the notch was tightened down so much that when the 2 bolts were removed it wouldn't budge.
Ok i see what you mean now! Good to know, i would have assumed it just lifted off the bracket after taking out the two bolts. Thanks so much, i love that clean look of no soft top at all so I cant wait to try it out this weekend!

stick

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok i see what you mean now! Good to know, i would have assumed it just lifted off the bracket after taking out the two bolts. Thanks so much, i love that clean look of no soft top at all so I cant wait to try it out this weekend!
It might just lift off, mine was pinched on one side but not on the other.

Good luck!

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
If it's on there cocked a little it gets kinda wedged in there. Also the top assembly weighs more than you might think, so that could be it as well. It was a little bit of effort to pull the top off the first time, I do remember. A little force and it popped off though.

Also, keep the plastic bag thing the top assembly comes in, it's much easier to take it off the Jeep when it's all wrapped up in the plastic thingy, plus better to store it that way as well.

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
If it's on there cocked a little it gets kinda wedged in there. Also the top assembly weighs more than you might think, so that could be it as well. It was a little bit of effort to pull the top off the first time, I do remember. A little force and it popped off though.

Also, keep the plastic bag thing the top assembly comes in, it's much easier to take it off the Jeep when it's all wrapped up in the plastic thingy, plus better to store it that way as well.
I bought mine as a soft top so no wrap for it. how heavy do you think it is? Is it def doable for one guy?

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Get a bungie cord or rope to tie it together so it doesn't go all wonky, then yes, one overweight out of shape guy (me) can handle it. Its a bit awkward, but totally doable.

Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Get a bungie cord or rope to tie it together so it doesn't go all wonky, then yes, one overweight out of shape guy (me) can handle it. Its a bit awkward, but totally doable.
Agreed, overweight and out of shape and I muscled it out of there just fine. It's awkward, but not super heavy (maybe 75-100lbs? I dunno).

One thing I did was put a folding table right behind the Jeep, so as I lifted it off in the middle I could just turn around and plop it on the table, finish wrapping it in the wrapper, and then get a better grip from the table and muscle it where I needed it to go (hanging in my garage).

The hardest part is grabbing it and not dragging the metal frame parts that stick forward across the painted Jeep. IF you rotate it upwards a little you'll be fine.

OP
OP
Archer85

Archer85

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Agreed, overweight and out of shape and I muscled it out of there just fine. It's awkward, but not super heavy (maybe 75-100lbs? I dunno).

One thing I did was put a folding table right behind the Jeep, so as I lifted it off in the middle I could just turn around and plop it on the table, finish wrapping it in the wrapper, and then get a better grip from the table and muscle it where I needed it to go (hanging in my garage).

The hardest part is grabbing it and not dragging the metal frame parts that stick forward across the painted Jeep. IF you rotate it upwards a little you'll be fine.
I got it off no problem. ill do a better job of bungying it together next time, but it cant weigh more than 40lbs, very light and easy!. Thanks for all the help!

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Oh that will work, any idea how long to put this on and take off? is it quick or kind of a pain?
My guess is just a min or two to put on the boot, a few mins to remove the bolts from the soft top bracket and then a couple mins to lift off and place in your garage.
Sponsored