Sponsored

Falcon shock specs Collapsed/Extended lengths?

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Truggy, Tube Buggy on 43s, 4Runner, JLU XR
Looking at shock options for a MetalCloak 3.5 game changer on JLU..

Falcons look decent, but no specs that I can find for them anywhere in terms of collapsed and extended length . Anyone know where to get the numbers.. All they list is vague info (for2.5-4" lift) etc.

Never understood why this information is not clearly stated.. Makes me want to buy something else, which I probably will. but still curious to compare.
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at shock options for a MetalCloak 3.5 game changer on JLU..

Falcons look decent, but no specs that I can find for them anywhere in terms of collapsed and extended length . Anyone know where to get the numbers.. All they list is vague info (for2.5-4" lift) etc.

Never understood why this information is not clearly stated.. Makes me want to buy something else, which I probably will. but still curious to compare.
You’ll need to use the Fox 2.5s for 4.5-6” lift version shocks to get the same extended length as the rock sports. They are 30.51 front and 32.3 rear. The Falcons are 28,8 front and 31.25 rears.

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’ll need to use the Fox 2.5s for 4.5-6” lift version shocks to get the same extended length as the rock sports. They are 30.51 front and 32.3 rear. The Falcons are 28,8 front and 31.25 rears.
The rocksports are 17.7-30 (12.3)

The part numbers in that spreadsheet don't exactly match with what I'm seeing for falcon

LIke 11-02-33-400-200 (says 2-4.5" lift) IDK if that it still the same specs..

I'm also looking at fox 2.0 piggyback at either
Front(3"):17.45-28.45(11)
Front(4.5"): 18.45-30.45(12.0)
Rear(3"):18.35-30.45 (12.1)
Rear(4.5):19.35-32.45 (13.10)

The 2.5s are:
Front(3"):17.34-28.51(11.17)
Front(4.5"):18.34-30.51(12.17)
Rear(3"):18.43-30.30(11.87)
Rear(4.5"):19.43-32.30(12.87)

Just not sure how much bump 37s will need. I'm not familiar with the JL overall. In most of my previous use cases I tend not to worry much about up travel near as much as down and usually want a little more travel rear than front for crawling duty.. Just not sure if the shocks will be the real limiter or not with the 3.5.. plus want the springs to stay put.. but assume that won't be a problem.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The rocksports are 17.7-30 (12.3)

The part numbers in that spreadsheet don't exactly match with what I'm seeing for falcon

LIke 11-02-33-400-200 (says 2-4.5" lift) IDK if that it still the same specs..

I'm also looking at fox 2.0 piggyback at either
Front(3"):17.45-28.45(11)
Front(4.5"): 18.45-30.45(12.0)
Rear(3"):18.35-30.45 (12.1)
Rear(4.5):19.35-32.45 (13.10)

The 2.5s are:
Front(3"):17.34-28.51(11.17)
Front(4.5"):18.34-30.51(12.17)
Rear(3"):18.43-30.30(11.87)
Rear(4.5"):19.43-32.30(12.87)

Just not sure how much bump 37s will need. I'm not familiar with the JL overall. In most of my previous use cases I tend not to worry much about up travel near as much as down and usually want a little more travel rear than front for crawling duty.. Just not sure if the shocks will be the real limiter or not with the 3.5.. plus want the springs to stay put.. but assume that won't be a problem.
I’m just scuffing inner fender liners with 28.5 extension and 2” bumps on 37 KO2s +18mm.

RK recommends 3” bump on a standard Rubi with the 3.5 with 37s at 4.5” BS (remember to subtract your XR bump extension). RK recommends a front DS over 29” extended.

16.25” is front compressed metal to metal at stock bump before the XR extension. Remember to factor in the MC shock brackets if you get them.

You may be able to reduce bump extension if you gut the fenders.

Sponsored

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
I ordered Fox 2.0 RR 4.5-6” front and 3-4” rear shocks from Accutune to pair with a Metalcloak 3.5” GC lift for my 392XR. Those shocks are very close to the compressed/extended lengths recommended by Metalcloak when I called them. They said stick with ~18” compressed/30” extended.

Haven’t installed yet as I’m still waiting on my Jeep (should be here tomorrow or Wednesday) and my Fox shocks from Accutune. Metalcloak lift is in the garage and ready to bolt up :rock:

I was super close to going with the Falcon 2-4.5” SP2 3.3s but I didn’t want to give up any droop. They would have cut my droop by 1.5”. In hindsight they would have probably kept me from needing a new front driveshaft but oh well, when I eventually swap to 60s down the road I won’t have to get new driveshafts!

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered Fox 2.0 RR 4.5-6” front and 3-4” rear shocks from Accutune to pair with a Metalcloak 3.5” GC lift for my 392XR. Those shocks are very close to the compressed/extended lengths recommended by Metalcloak when I called them. They said stick with ~18” compressed/30” extended.

Haven’t installed yet as I’m still waiting on my Jeep (should be here tomorrow or Wednesday) and my Fox shocks from Accutune. Metalcloak lift is in the garage and ready to bolt up :rock:

I was super close to going with the Falcon 2-4.5” SP2 3.3s but I didn’t want to give up any droop. They would have cut my droop by 1.5”. In hindsight they would have probably kept me from needing a new front driveshaft but oh well, when I eventually swap to 60s down the road I won’t have to get new driveshafts!
I ordered almost the exact same shocks.. but got the 11" travel fronts for 2-4.5".. I was concerned the 4.5+ might not yield enough up travel for the 3.5 MC..

my jeep is a XR Rubi non 392. Not sure how much it matters, but when I called MC they suggested 17.7 or a bit shorter compressed would be about ideal for front. The guy I talked to said he would opt for better compressed length up front.. Not sure he knew what he was talking about though.

The 2-4.5 Front Fox 2.0 w/Remote res are 17.45 to 28.45 (11")
The 4.5-6 Front Fox 2.0 w/Remote res are 18.45 to 30.45 (12")

I really would like the extra inch of travel if it would work, but knew the 11" would leave plenty of up travel..

I might still have time to change my order if you have any more details on how it works out. The 392 may have more things in the way up front and need more bump anyway.. I'm not sure. Feels it is a bit like a coin toss with no first hand experience with the setup. It's really unusual how geometry works out on solid axle setups.. With no other binding.. Sometimes you get more overall articulated droop with less bump needed. Then on really steep climbs it is nice for the shocks to limit to some extent without a suck down available.. It's only 1-2" difference though. It would be nice to get everything out of it..

In stock form my XR Rubi could use some more up travel for sure.. From factory it's only like 2" up. Stable on slow speed trails, but not good at moderate speed in chunky terrain as it's constantly on those bumps.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
It’ll likely be several weeks before I get my lift installed, closest trails to me close down Dec. 15 but I am planning on a wheeling trip in January so gotta have it all done by then. I’d consider swapping your shock order but that’s up to you. A few guys in the 392 section returned their 3-4.5” Fox shocks for longer 4.5-6” shocks up front. That’s when paired with the Metalcloak setup.

Still waiting on front/rear shocks from Accutune and need to order Adams driveshafts. I’ll likely leave the 392XR stock until Christmas to break it in and make sure all is well before I yank everything apart. But I’ll be sure to chime in with a ride/flex review.

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’ll likely be several weeks before I get my lift installed, closest trails to me close down Dec. 15 but I am planning on a wheeling trip in January so gotta have it all done by then. I’d consider swapping your shock order but that’s up to you. A few guys in the 392 section returned their 3-4.5” Fox shocks for longer 4.5-6” shocks up front. That’s when paired with the Metalcloak setup.

Still waiting on front/rear shocks from Accutune and need to order Adams driveshafts. I’ll likely leave the 392XR stock until Christmas to break it in and make sure all is well before I yank everything apart. But I’ll be sure to chime in with a ride/flex review.
You twisted my arm and I changed my order LOL.. I was already thinking about it so went ahead as more travel is hard to pass up for no additional cost.. Hopefully there is still plenty of up travel.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You twisted my arm and I changed my order LOL.. I was already thinking about it so went ahead as more travel is hard to pass up for no additional cost.. Hopefully there is still plenty of up travel.
With the 3.5” MC lift you should have around 5 “ up travel with the Foxs, if you don’t use their shock relocation brackets. They relocate up and out and they raise the bottom of the shock 1.5”.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
With the 3.5” MC lift you should have around 5 “ up travel with the Foxs, if you don’t use their shock relocation brackets. They relocate up and out and they raise the bottom of the shock 1.5”.
You got me thinking…I’m gonna have to play with that when I install my lift. Gonna bump test everything with 37s and check both shock mounting positions and see what I like best.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
You got me thinking…I’m gonna have to play with that when I install my lift. Gonna bump test everything with 37s and check both shock mounting positions and see what I like best.
Yeah, you can get a little extra droop using the brackets, but you’ll be around a little more than 3” up travel. Depends on how you’ll be wheeling it that will determine what’s best. The 2.0 fox shouldn’t hit the frame when extended, but my 2.5s did hit so I had to use a relo bracket.

Not wanting to sacrifice anymore up travel I opted for the EVO shock relo brackets, they move the shock out but not up, so there’s an option if you find that the shock is hitting when you cycle the suspension and decide you want to keep your up travel.

Also when your at extreme flex your bumps don’t line up, and barely hit, so the longer towers might be a good thing. Kinda hard to see but here’s pic fully stuffed……..

Jeep Wrangler JL Falcon shock specs Collapsed/Extended lengths? D666DD3D-A4F5-4DAC-A096-7F0C0E3E334C

Here’s some things I had to address with running long travel shocks with 3.5” springs…….

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/1321789/

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Yeah, you can get a little extra droop using the brackets, but you’ll be around a little more than 3” up travel. Depends on how you’ll be wheeling it that will determine what’s best. The 2.0 fox shouldn’t hit the frame when extended, but my 2.5s did hit so I had to use a relo bracket.

Not wanting to sacrifice anymore up travel I opted for the EVO shock relo brackets, they move the shock out but not up, so there’s an option if you find that the shock is hitting when you cycle the suspension and decide you want to keep your up travel.

Also when your at extreme flex your bumps don’t line up, and barely hit, so the longer towers might be a good thing. Kinda hard to see but here’s pic fully stuffed……..

Jeep Wrangler JL Falcon shock specs Collapsed/Extended lengths? D666DD3D-A4F5-4DAC-A096-7F0C0E3E334C

Here’s some things I had to address with running long travel shocks with 3.5” springs…….

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/posts/1321789/
Thank you! I’ll give that a read. I’m buying some line & dot lasers and some chalk cord so I’ll be able to give myself a solid 4 wheel/axle alignment after the install. I don’t trust anyone around me to do the install/alignment so might as well do it myself and learn something positive about my Jeep. I’ll be sure to document my findings in my build thread.

OP
OP

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not realize the relocation brackets changed the eye to eye measurements. It's good to know there are options to move the mounting point around. I was glancing at the rears and it looks like it would be very easy to move those up as well if desired.. Will have to see where it all lands, but now glad I went with the 12" version for up front.

3.5" up travel before bump should be good enough I think.. Surely better than what it is from the factory on the XR with only like 1" LOL.. I'm still shocked they set them up like that. It's not horrific for road and slow speed trail use.. but odd.
Sponsored