First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Willys
Occupation
IT Director
I have been looking at adding a front camera on my 2023 8.4 using the Taz Mini and noticed the front camera only supports 480i. The rear camera is 1080p. I completely understand why the front is only 480i due to the pin inputs on the harness. My question is if the factory front camera you can order with the rubicon and some other trim levels is also 480i, or is there something different they have going on with that option like an addional HD input?
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
They swap the inputs with the factory front trail camera. The front uses the 1080p input, the rear uses the 480i input.

Particularly noticeable at night backing up, the lower resolution camera is very grainy in low light conditions.

From what I’ve read, the head unit isn’t capable of multiple HD inputs.

OP
OP
devster

devster

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler Willys
Occupation
IT Director
Thanks, that makes total sense. I'm curious if I can tap into the HD input for the backup camera and create a switch/toggle between front cam and back cam in order to have dual HD cameras. I have some homework to do.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

They swap the inputs with the factory front trail camera. The front uses the 1080p input, the rear uses the 480i input.

Particularly noticeable at night backing up, the lower resolution camera is very grainy in low light conditions.

From what I’ve read, the head unit isn’t capable of multiple HD inputs.
Have you considered putting a light in your rear bumper? There's a massive difference in visibility when I turn mine on.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Have you considered putting a light in your rear bumper? There's a massive difference in visibility when I turn mine on.
Yeah I have been thinking about it but haven't gotten around to it yet : ) Was originally very interested in the Oracle lights but have seen enough problems with those that I'm looking at alternatives. Probably a small cube light or two, that I could mount to my hitch skid and draw power from the 7 pin receptacle along with a trigger from the backing lights. Also want to be able to trigger them either from the rock lights on Aux 4 or a dedicated run from Aux 3. Dual trigger I think would need a relay and a couple of diodes. The rock lights would be easier since I already have one at each rear corner.

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Yeah I have been thinking about it but haven't gotten around to it yet : ) Was originally very interested in the Oracle lights but have seen enough problems with those that I'm looking at alternatives. Probably a small cube light or two, that I could mount to my hitch skid and draw power from the 7 pin receptacle along with a trigger from the backing lights. Also want to be able to trigger them either from the rock lights on Aux 4 or a dedicated run from Aux 3. Dual trigger I think would need a relay and a couple of diodes. The rock lights would be easier since I already have one at each rear corner.
Mine is hooked to aux 3, but it has a pre-req of an AEV bumper. That makes it slightly expensive ;)

It does, however, work pretty damn well.

manapiko

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Diode Dynamics just announced a single hitch receiver-mounted reverse light with a 7-pin adapter, might be something to look at.

Definitely a cool (pricey) idea. Pretty much hoping for a black friday sale to try it out.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I have one of the hitch mounted reverse lights that plugs into the trailer harness. I use it October through March for the dark rainy nights. Was $150 ish, which isn’t cheap, but simple and effective

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

The Diode one looks good, and less costly than what I purchased and does more! I may have to upgrade!

~Blue392~

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 392
Definitely a cool (pricey) idea. Pretty much hoping for a black friday sale to try it out.
The harness looks pretty impressive. That's probably a big chunk of the cost. Unfortunately it also looks easy to steal.
Sponsored