Engine tapping on cold start off fast idle

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 Door sport
Hi this is my first post and unfortunately it’s not a positive one, but here it is.....
I’ve got a 2021 2dr sport with 3.6 and 6 speed and I’m having some engine noise that I would like to find out if is normal or not? When I start the jeep it immediately goes to fast idle for 20-30 seconds and when coming down to normal idle speed I’m getting a tapping/ticking sound for around 5 seconds and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?
I also want to add that when driving for the first couple km I can hear the tapping sound until it warms up slightly
Sponsored

OP
OP

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is a video of the noise

Last edited:

Deleted member 53226

This doesn't sound bad or abnormal to me. I hear a slight rattle toward the end of the audio but that could just be a rocker arm before it gets fully oiled up on a cold start. I have the same engine and at fast idle after a cold start up, it can be noisy.

Remember the 3.6 uses a valve train with rocker arms for the valves, so these can be noisy until everything gets warmed up and the rocker arms get fully lubricated. A lot of people grouse about these engines sounding like sewing machines, etc, and that's just the valve train at work, and normal. If you have a bad rocker, it will tick very loudly. Not a sewing machine ticking noise at all, and you'll know it when you hear it.

I would be more concerned with excessive noise on a fully warmed up engine. And the most concerning noise would sound like an old diesel engine, with a loud knocking type noise from the bottom end of the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
I have the same motor. I had similar issues with abnormal noise. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced cam and other components. Made a big difference. Had it happen a few months later, took it in and they replaced the other side. So far the engine is now fine. I hope. I also wondered if the noise was normal but when I took it in they said definitely not. I’d have it checked out soon.

OP
OP

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same motor. I had similar issues with abnormal noise. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced cam and other components. Made a big difference. Had it happen a few months later, took it in and they replaced the other side. So far the engine is now fine. I hope. I also wondered if the noise was normal but when I took it in they said definitely not. I’d have it checked out soon.
Alright thanks for the reply, I’ve got the jeep going into the dealership next week so hopefully this can get taken care of.

Sponsored

OP
OP

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If dealer tells you normal, try 5-20w on next oil change. It helps quite it down.
Ive tried 5w30 full synthetic aswell as conventional both ms6395 approved and did not make a difference in the particular sound I’m having. The heavier weight oil did improve the overall engine noise and made it sound a little less “worn out” when it was at operating temperature though.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
Any updates? For the noise you’re hearing, can it only be heard from the outside of the vehicle? And on the driver side? I know I said I didn’t have any issue in another thread but today I happens to be next to it after I remote started it and heard a little rattle sound for a few seconds as it was coming off high idle. Kind of sounded like a loose heat shield almost. I’m interested as to what your dealer will have to say.

OP
OP

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any updates? For the noise you’re hearing, can it only be heard from the outside of the vehicle? And on the driver side? I know I said I didn’t have any issue in another thread but today I happens to be next to it after I remote started it and heard a little rattle sound for a few seconds as it was coming off high idle. Kind of sounded like a loose heat shield almost. I’m interested as to what your dealer will have to say.
I picked it up from the dealer yesterday and was told that the tech did hear the noise and is now waiting the hear back on how to proceed, so I should have a better answer sometime next week. Also the noise is mostly on the driver side area and if you know what your listening for can be heard inside the cab.

Sponsored

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
That's good news. At least you did not get the "no problem found".

OP
OP

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the update is I heard nothing back from the dealer for 3 weeks and decided to call on Monday and ask what they have come up with. The service writer informed me that they are not taking any further steps on it and the noise will have to become louder and happen more frequently.
I have since been in contact with customer service and they have created an escalated case regarding this issue. Then yesterday I received a call from the service manager saying they want to compare it to a new gladiator 3.6 that just arrived. So the next step is to drop it off again on Monday and go from there.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear your going to get the famous " no problem found".
Only thing I can offer is 5-20w oil and live with it till something happens.

OP
OP

F-1shakey

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear your going to get the famous " no problem found".
Only thing I can offer is 5-20w oil and live with it till something happens.
Ya unfortunately it’s not my first time dealing with dealership service, had an 18 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost that had rattling cam phasers when cold and was denied any repair attempts , but that was a common complaint and still nothing was done for anyone, I’m hoping this outcome is different but not expecting any miracles. It’s bothering me knowing that there is an issue and knowing that it could last past warranty without actually failing and then when it finally does fail I’m stuck with a repair I knew it needed all along especially with these things costing as much as they do now, the plan is to keep it until the wheels fall of . Anyways that’s enough complaining hopefully it gets taken care of.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Being an old guy, from a time when you bought a product and it was with you forever. Things just are not made to last these days. To me it feels like everything has about a 10 year life, no matter what I have. I will say thing have little to no maintenance come paired to old stuff. Remember changing plugs, wires, points, capacitor every 20K. Belts, hose's every 50K. :)
Sponsored