Ecodiesel Reliability?

ckapavik

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Toyota Corolla
I am not 100% sure to be honest as I have yet to calculate it. I know typically we pay about 20¢ higher than 87 unleaded, sometimes 40¢ (looking at you state of Colorado) sometimes it's almost identical. We honestly got a really good deal on the diesel since it sat on the lot for 8-9 months so the typical diesel upgrade of $4k ended up being closer to $2k. Not expecting the same kinda luck though with the JLU.

Just for more info, we get 28-30mpg on our 2+ hour road trips and around 24-25 with normal life, 35 miles a day. The JLU I would assume to minus about 2mpg but who knows.
Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What would be nice about it is the range. Other than that, I don't see a cost advantage, when you count the initial cost, maintenance, blue DEF fluid, and the price of diesel in most places. The extended range would indeed be nice, though.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I am not 100% sure to be honest as I have yet to calculate it. I know typically we pay about 20¢ higher than 87 unleaded, sometimes 40¢ (looking at you state of Colorado) sometimes it's almost identical. We honestly got a really good deal on the diesel since it sat on the lot for 8-9 months so the typical diesel upgrade of $4k ended up being closer to $2k. Not expecting the same kinda luck though with the JLU.

Just for more info, we get 28-30mpg on our 2+ hour road trips and around 24-25 with normal life, 35 miles a day. The JLU I would assume to minus about 2mpg but who knows.
What's the oil change cost/ interval? Fuel filters? Any other maintenance items that are unique?

ckapavik

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Toyota Corolla
What's the oil change cost/ interval? Fuel filters? Any other maintenance items that are unique?
All more expensive to a degree. As DanW said, the range and to me, the power are why you are paying the extra $4-5k for the diesel. I think after the maintenance and extra costs, it's close to a wash for the upgraded MPGs.

We did an oil package for 4 changes at $250 if I remember correctly, changing roughly every 10k miles for what it's worth. DEF is like $2.50 a gallon and the JGC has an 8 gallonish tank. Lasts about 8-10k miles give or take. Everything in a diesel is more expensive. You don't get it to save money.

Also worth noting as a plus for me, is stepping out of the vehicle and people look perplexed that it is a diesel.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
All more expensive to a degree. As DanW said, the range and to me, the power are why you are paying the extra $4-5k for the diesel. I think after the maintenance and extra costs, it's close to a wash for the upgraded MPGs.

We did an oil package for 4 changes at $250 if I remember correctly, changing roughly every 10k miles for what it's worth. DEF is like $2.50 a gallon and the JGC has an 8 gallonish tank. Lasts about 8-10k miles give or take. Everything in a diesel is more expensive. You don't get it to save money.

Also worth noting as a plus for me, is stepping out of the vehicle and people look perplexed that it is a diesel.
Right, I just wanted some real info from someone with a ecodiesel saying that.

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase

Dont forget resale. Diesels usually have a higher resale value then their gasser counterparts. So while you pay $4-5K more up front you'll recoup some of that on resale.

But like you said you buy a diesel for the power and drivability, not really for the cost savings.

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
Does FCA warranty cover DPF failure? Yes or No no BS. My purchase depends on the answer. JL Rubi Pentastar Auto or JLU Rubi Diesel.

RockAltered

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLR V6 AT & 23 Ram Limited 4x4
Occupation
Retired.
According to EcoDiesel Forums it is not covered even with extended warranty.
$7,000 to $10,000 for replacement added to the cost of initial purchase and expensive maintenance along the way in addition to European Big City banning?

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I've always been surprised by the willingness of people to brag about violating federal law.

Given how much I despise rolling coal, it doesn't thrill me to hear people talk about polluting more. Yeah, I know my Wrangler by definition wastes fuel, but for crying out loud.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I had a GC with the ecodiesel. Jeep bought it back after 2 years instead of having it declared a lemon. It would go into limp mode for no reason and in unsafe situations. They couldn’t fix it even though it was at the dealer for months during the 2 years. It wasn’t a mechanical issue with the engine it was a software issue where the engine ecu was talking to the transmission ecu. When it worked it was great, unfortunately that wasn’t often. I love diesels and was almost glad to hear they weren’t putting it in the 2 door because being the glutton for punishment that I am, I probably would have ordered it!

modeltrainman

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jku rubi
I've been hearing concerns over the reliability of the Ecodiesel. TFL Truck reports that 1/2 of owners posting on their forums say they've had major issues with the Ecodiesels in the Ram, and about 1/2 say they've had no issues.

I'm contemplating waiting for the diesel, for one reason: Power. However, I already know the 3.6 to be very reliable and durable. I've got a number of friends with the 3.6 in their JK's, and none of them have had a single issue.

All things considered, as much as I love the idea of the power and fuel economy the Ecodiesel would deliver, I'd trade it for reliability and durability. I'm also very used to my 3.8 JKUR, in which that old engine has been perfect for 116k miles. I don't want a Jeep that might strand me in the middle of nowhere with an engine issue.

Anyone have any experiences with the Ecodiesel? Any good sources of reliability info? One thing I'm going to do is talk to the service manager at my Jeep/Ram dealership. I'm not sure how many Ecodiesels they've sold, but I'll ask him which engine he'd order if he was getting a JLU.
It looks like they may have stumbled across what might be causing some of the major problems with the bearings,the grade of oil,looks like they are changing the viscosity from a gasoline grade engine oil to more of a diesel grade to help with the engine failures,bottom line the engines turning the oil to fuel and causing the lubricating properties to fail causing bearings to score and fail.And i believe they are doing this for fuel mileage,i say get the diesel,run 15-40 like every other heavy duty diesel and think it will be fine.

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Never owned a jeep. Always been a Ford man, and for the last 17 years drove a F350 with the bullet proof 7.3 engine. Am impressed by the JL, and would love to get a loaded Rubicon with the ecodiesel. All this talk of DPF failures and bearing failures with Chrysler/Fiat not covering same is making me wonder if I shouldn't get the ZR2 with the Dmax. I'm not hearing as many failures from that engine.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
DPF is still an issue for the Duramax in the ZR2 , the difference is that the user base is much smaller than the Ram.

DPF regen is mainly an issue for people who do short trip driving, and aren’t spending hours on the highways to allow for frequent passive regeneration cycles.
Sponsored