EcoDiesel Engine Chirping Noise

Kevmetz

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I have a 21 JLURD with 6,200 miles on it. It has the automatic transmission.

I've noticed a chirping noise related to the speed of the engine. It's becomes noticeable just above idle. The sound has become louder and louder over the past several months.

The chirping noise reminds me of the sound my 1976 CJ7 made when the clutch throwout bearing was going bad.

Anybody else have this problem?
Do you still have this issue? Mine has a chirp that only happens when foot is on the gas pedal. Stops when foot is off the pedal.
Sponsored

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
I’ve been in the turbocharging industry for over 28 years. The noise you first ever is the “ turbo spool”. When the pedal is release. The forced air is diverted back to the compressor wheel
And some get re-directed from the blow off valve aka diverter valve creating the woosh … swirling sound … I love it personally. Like a turbine. A jet ! I just picked up my 22 Sahara diesel and last week it got to 600 miles and I’m starting to hear more and more of the noise and a bit louder in the back end. Love it

AJ12

First Name
Aiden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Diesel 21
Mine makes a chirp. Definitely not a turbo noise though. When I opened the hood I had a friend drive slowly with me on top of the engine compartment and I can definitely confirm the noise is coming from something near the belt. There was a really good video of it online somewhere I am going to find it. The guy in the video said he eventually got it fixed when the shop replaced a couple of parts. I don't know the details right now, but once I find the video, I will post it. I have been so annoyed with this noise and it only happens when I am lightly pushing the throttle and just cruising. If I push harder on the pedal then the chirping noise either stops or is drowned out by the engine working harder, not sure. I haven't brought it into the shop yet since I am quite sure they will just say it's normal diesel engine noise. But I have lived with diesel my whole life, and this is not something I can say is normal. I also test drove a different eco diesel and no noise. My diesel is a 21 and has 33000Km on it.

If someone has a belt diagram it would help identify which circle-looking thing is making the noise.

AJ12

First Name
Aiden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Diesel 21
Found the video I know it's a truck and I think it has an older model since it's 4 years old, but the noise is identical to mine.

Here is the link:

The OP of the video said in the comments it was fixed after the shop replace a throttle control valve.
" I had my truck in for service for a faulty throttle control valve. Got it back and the noise was gone. Not sure what was causing it, but they took a good amount of parts off / intake related to replace the valve. "

Caseman2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking for jeep
Found the video I know it's a truck and I think it has an older model since it's 4 years old, but the noise is identical to mine.

Here is the link:

The OP of the video said in the comments it was fixed after the shop replace a throttle control valve.
" I had my truck in for service for a faulty throttle control valve. Got it back and the noise was gone. Not sure what was causing it, but they took a good amount of parts off / intake related to replace the valve. "
Yep same noise as mine

Sponsored

OP
OP
nsa250x

nsa250x

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLURD, 1976 CJ7
That is the chirping noise I have. I took it to the shop and they said it’s normal to make the noise.

AJ12

First Name
Aiden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Diesel 21
That is the chirping noise I have. I took it to the shop, and they said it’s normal to make the noise.
I've test drove other eco diesel that doesn't have that noise—frustrating at how they say it's normal. After a long drive, I get a headache sometimes because, for me, it's just the perfect pitch to be ear screechingly annoying. One day I just sat in the vehicle trying to determine where the noise was coming in from, and what I discovered was that the noise was coming into the cabin from the engine through the center defog vents at the bottom of the windshield. I put some cloth in the vent and some duct tape overtop. To my avail, the noise was hardly noticeable anymore, and while it looks a little ghetto at least I can drive in peace. You can still hear it occasionally but it's nothing like before. What I also found out was when you drive without the doors or roof you can't really tell its chirping due to the other noises. It really just seems to echo inside the cabin when everything is together. I will probably end up trying to find a diesel mechanic to replace that throttle valve, assuming it's causing the problem, maybe not.

2020 Rubi Diesel

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
I get a noise from behind the drivers seat and it sounds like a Groan tube, but higher pitched. It does it randomly.

Groan tube

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Mine is doing exactly what some of you are describing. Crickets, or a frog pond in spring. I suppose I’m just going to run it until something gives, if it ever does.

Sponsored

blackJLURubi

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Hmm I’ve never noticed this noise on 21 ecodiesel. Going to listen more closely next time I drive it

IllinoisChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
It is interesting. I have about 1500 miles on my 22. It wasn't there when I picked it up, started around 1000 miles and has gotten progressively louder. Its is def related to throttle. Not a turbo noise. Its a bit annoying.

diamondschwin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bikini Blue JLUR, 2021 Billet Silver JLURD
Just adding that my 21 ecodiesel with 27k miles has the chirp, “siren” and whoosh sounds. Been solid enough so far so I just deal with it. My wife’s JL with the 3.6 sounds horrendous, and it runs and checks out just fine so it’s not just diesels with bizarre noises. Fortunately we also have some added sound insulation.

AZDIESELRUBI

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I have this noise as well. It actually reminds me of the turbo whistle on trucks that either do not have emissions or deleted trucks that are tuned.

I have a 2022 F350 6.7 Powerstroke that sounds similar but more like a turbo with ethe V8 Diesel. I was goin to have the dealer look at it - but it looks like that may be a waste of time.
Sponsored