Sponsored

Driving in sand stalling when going in reverse?

FJB2019JLU

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S
I own a 2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, manual transmission. I went to the beach the other day and while trying to go in reverse my truck kept stalling. It would go about a foot or two, then buck and stall, I would push down clutch but it still stalled. Do I need to rev it higher or burn some clutch when going in reverse in 4x4 on soft sand. I aired down and was in 4Hi then 4Lo. This is my first Wrangler so I'm not sure if its a Jeep thing, never had this issue in any other trucks I've owned.
Sponsored

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Reverse is usually higher geared than first. And sand puts a strain on everything. 4lo should’ve been fine though.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Compare the gear ratios and see if that matches what you are sensing while comparing forward to reverse movement.

Gear Ratios:
  • 1st - 5.13
  • 2nd - 2.63
  • 3rd - 1.53
  • 4th - 1.00
  • 5th - 0.81
  • 6th - 0.72
  • Reverse - 4.49

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
With that gearing reverse should almost the same as First.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I own a 2019 Wrangler JLU Sport S, manual transmission. I went to the beach the other day and while trying to go in reverse my truck kept stalling. It would go about a foot or two, then buck and stall, I would push down clutch but it still stalled. Do I need to rev it higher or burn some clutch when going in reverse in 4x4 on soft sand. I aired down and was in 4Hi then 4Lo. This is my first Wrangler so I'm not sure if its a Jeep thing, never had this issue in any other trucks I've owned.
practice practice practice , I wish I had more time to run some sand dunes myself

Sponsored

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Honestly, when I'm on sand I try to not put myself in situations where I need to reverse if at all possible, especially in the deeper stuff. Are you doing all the recommended stuff for sand driving? I live by the phrase "4 high and 15 psi" on the sand and I've never gotten stuck or stalled or anything. Check out our sand driving thread, too. Should be high up in my post history.
Sponsored