First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I was on the Rubicon and got stuck idling a lot for a couple of days. I got the message that a re-gen was needed so I put it in park and set the rpm's at 2000 for about 10 minutes and the re-gen worked. A diesel JT that was with me ignored the message and ended up in limp mode after we left the trail.
Dave, I've never seen the "regen needed" message. Did it come on at 80%, or was it the result of the soot approaching 100% (due to being shut off during regen several times on the trail)?

I'm like @Tread4Lo. I try to avoid shutting off the engine when the DPF is in the high 70s. I don't consider that obsessive either; just diligent, and sensitive to my equipment. I'm also anal about keeping the fuel tank no less than a quarter full in deference to fuel pump starvation.

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Dave, I've never seen the "regen needed" message. Did it come on at 80%, or was it the result of the soot approaching 100% (due to being shut off during regen several times on the trail)?

I'm like @Tread4Lo. I try to avoid shutting of the engine when the DPF is in the high 70s. I don't consider that obsessive either; just diligent, and sensitive to my equipment.
It was the message saying DPF near 100%. Not much chance to run highway speeds for 20 minutes on the Rubicon. Just putting this method out there if you get stuck in this situation.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Does the message go away when regeneration is complete? Or when it is no longer urgent/important to keep driving? Meaning if the DPF alert level is at 70% and my DPF is at 85% (triggering the warning), if the message goes away, is it back to 70%? What would it take to get it to 0? Or at least lower than 20%

I have read what Gorilla57 said above, that you can get a ScanGauge to tell you. I just didn't know if there was an easier way to know or if this was a mystery.

If you can't tell, this is my first Diesel engine, as well as my first Wrangler.

I appreciate everyone's patience.
Wait what is DPF?
I know that DEF is Diesel Exhaust Fluid, I've never heard of this DPF though.
Non-diesel guy just checking out the trending threads.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wait what is DPF?
I know that DEF is Diesel Exhaust Fluid, I've never heard of this DPF though.
Non-diesel guy just checking out the trending threads.
DPFs are why modern diesels don't blow black smoke. They capture soot and burn it off using high heat. If you drive longer distances, the heat from your exhaust will burn off the soot - called "passive" regeneration. Otherwise, when the DFP gets to 80% full, extra fuel is injected to create the heat used in the process - called "active" regeneration. A third method, "forced" regeneration, is the one that I depicted in post #49.

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase

AZDIESELRUBI

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
Good thing these modules monitor several variables at once!!

A stock diesel engine will never allow you to get to unsafe EGTs. The computer will derate you before that happens.

You would never need to monitor EGT unless you are tuned and deleted.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker

Sponsored

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
So I don’t have the diesel in my Jeep, But I do have a newer diesel Kubota tractor that has regen cycles. Not sure if Jeep engineers did it the same, but my tractor regen is variable based off how I use it. Short usage with low throttle and low heat generation adds up to more regen cycles. If I’m out working for an hour straight at high RPM consecutively everyday it will never call for a regen. If that’s the case a lead foot might help? Idk the tractor has a hydrostatic auto tranny with L/M/H gear selection and an optional manual clutch. I can peg the throttle and still drive slow if I want. Jeep should give the automatic guys that kinda control. They do that and I’ll switch to an auto and a diesel today. Sorry for the rant

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
So I don’t have the diesel in my Jeep, But I do have a newer diesel Kubota tractor that has regen cycles. Not sure if Jeep engineers did it the same, but my tractor regen is variable based off how I use it. Short usage with low throttle and low heat generation adds up to more regen cycles. If I’m out working for an hour straight at high RPM consecutively everyday it will never call for a regen. If that’s the case a lead foot might help? Idk the tractor has a hydrostatic auto tranny with L/M/H gear selection and an optional manual clutch. I can peg the throttle and still drive slow if I want. Jeep should give the automatic guys that kinda control. They do that and I’ll switch to an auto and a diesel today. Sorry for the rant
It kind of works that way, prolonged use at hwy speeds will keep EGTs higher and burn off more soot causing less regen cycles because the DPF isn’t measuring as high a %.