Downsizing tires

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yes in CAD. And what the fuck 2k for a set of 5!? My 35/13.50r17. mickey thompsons just cost me 3k for 5. Im curious what you pay for wheels. General rule of thumb here is 500/tire after you hit 33s, and 450-500+ per wheel even if youre looking at something mass produced like fuel
I got my 35s Duratracs at Canadian Tire when they were on sale for CAD $350 each.
So I paid about CAD $1800 for a set of 5.

They were recently on sale again at 25% off, so I grabbed another set.
Sponsored

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I got a slightly better price than MSRP because I have some connections, but it wasn't crazy cheap. I think the MSRP on the tires is like 419 or something and I paid 391 per tire before tax.

I have DV8 beadlocks, I got them before they were more "popular" so I think I paid like 250 per wheel for them. If I wanted to go with a big name brand like KMC then it would be 400+ per wheel, but that's for some beadlocks.

There are a ton of options for non-beadlock wheels for under 200 bucks (at least for us in the US)
Wow. You guys have it good!

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
35's are a good size. You can pick up Rubicon takeoffs for a song. They are are only 33's but they will drive nice. You'd really need to delete the lift with 35's or less though. It's going to look way over-lifted.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
35's are a good size. You can pick up Rubicon takeoffs for a song. They are are only 33's but they will drive nice. You'd really need to delete the lift with 35's or less though. It's going to look way over-lifted.
I knew a guy who had a Rubicon, put a 3.5" metalcloak lift on his Jeep but didn't have the funds to get bigger tires. Ran around on the stock 33s for about a year with the lift, and his Jeep looked absolutely ridiculous (in my opinion)

Jeep#6

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 4xe HYDRO; 24 BMW X5
Occupation
Sales in a Jeep
Sell your current wheels/tires for $2k or more...buy new set for $3k with 35” tires.

or $1200 rubicon takeoffs + $1500 in 35” tires and then sell the 33” tires for ~$500 = $2200 NET

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I agree with what others are saying, if you want to keep the lift then step down to a 35” tire. However, if logevity of the vehicle and lower cost of repairs are your primary concern then I would even consider swapping the lift for a rubicon suspension and 33” rubi take offs. This would match well with the axles you have and put the least stress on the vehicle. Either option is viable and the nice part about Wranglers is you can sell everything you take off.

hingedthinker

First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
a kind hearted observation so please don't take this as a grenade, just an opportunity for improvement.

I see how many recommendations here about 37"s include the costs related to the rest of the system... the axles -- in this conversation. But going the other way the advice is "yeah, 37"s are awesome you should totally do it" without mention of the thousands of dollars needed to support modifications for that size tire on the axles and vehicle system.

There should be a stickie post that explains this basic information. I struggled finding good advice here and had to goto youtube and a vendor to get it...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jab16

First Name
Jillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport s JL
OP. What gear ratio is in the axles ? If you have stock gears, you with enjoy having down sized. If a gear swap was done to 4.88's not so much.
I’m not sure, is there a way for me to check?

OP
OP

Jab16

First Name
Jillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport s JL
a kind hearted observation so please don't take this as a grenade, just an opportunity for improvement.

I see how many recommendations here about 37"s include the costs related to the rest of the system... the axles -- in this conversation. But going the other way the advice is "yeah, 37"s are awesome you should totally do it" without mention of the thousands of dollars needed to support modifications for that size tire on the axles and vehicle system.

There should be a stickie post that explains this basic information. I struggled finding good advice here and had to goto youtube and a vendor to get it...
Thank you, I bought it with the 37s already on and after doing research realized how it could be causing more harm then I personally want to pay for. Definitely looking to down size to 35s
Sponsored