Dometic CFX-40W Fridge

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
fwiw - I would do some research on rvpartscountry before buying there. I also just purchased a Dometic CFX-40W - and as I was researching, their site came up at a much better price than I found anywhere else.

just by googling "rvpartscountry reviews" there are enough bad stories / experiences for me to stay away. No customer service available, no actual office, can't get a hold of anyone on the phone, their "return" policy is so restrictive you can't actually return anything. For example - a couple exerpts that would relate to the Dometic fridge from THEIR return policy

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Return-Policy_ep_42-1.html
  • Dometic/Atwood items are non-returnable under any circumstance unless it is a situation concerning damage in shipping or the incorrect item was shipped to you
  • Any return request for a Dometic/Atwood product will be denied.
  • All returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee.
  • We do not authorize exchanges of product in any circumstance.
  • Please allow 4-5 weeks for your return process to be completed for refund.
there is also a long list of complaints against them -
https://www.bbb.org/us/ky/london/profile/trailer-parts/rv-parts-country-0392-9113563/complaints

In the end it's your choice - but sometimes if a price is too good to be true, it probably is.

---break

as far as the CFX-40W goes - it's an amazing piece of kit for the JLU. it fits in the back like a glove. My slide won't be here until tomorrow; I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood for a base for the entire back area (I made a template from package wrapping paper, and put that on the 4x4 sheet of plywood, drew straight lines and cut it out). Once my slide arrives I'll mount that and put the fridge on it - but with just the fridge in there, I have enough room on the passenger side for my large tub, and the fridge fits on the driver side.

I need to wire it into my anderson pole distro to get it out of the socket (so i can move it more to the driver wall) but it fits in there great. The ARB model was about an inch or two longer and I saw was causing problems for many trying to install.

jeep-fridge.PNG

I had actually built a mock-up of the CFX-50W - it also fit (my concern was I have a vector GBB shelf with 22" of clearance). but as I stood in the back of the Jeep and "slid" the 50w out to use, I really felt out of space (because the 50w opens lengthwise while the 40w opens edge-wise). I highly recommend before purchasing either that you stand back there like you're using it and go through the motions. I have a tailgater table inbound so I definitely didn't have room between the two.

as a final note - the Dometic handles also come off if you need the extra bit of space (and it bolts to the slide through the feet).

For me - the CFX-40W was the perfect choice - but I chose to pay more for it ($720 on amazon) due to the numerous horror stories about rvpartscountry. buyer beware
Sponsored

OP
OP
JK47

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
fwiw - I would do some research on rvpartscountry before buying there. I also just purchased a Dometic CFX-40W - and as I was researching, their site came up at a much better price than I found anywhere else.

just by googling "rvpartscountry reviews" there are enough bad stories / experiences for me to stay away. No customer service available, no actual office, can't get a hold of anyone on the phone, their "return" policy is so restrictive you can't actually return anything. For example - a couple exerpts that would relate to the Dometic fridge from THEIR return policy

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Return-Policy_ep_42-1.html
  • Dometic/Atwood items are non-returnable under any circumstance unless it is a situation concerning damage in shipping or the incorrect item was shipped to you
  • Any return request for a Dometic/Atwood product will be denied.
  • All returns are subject to a 15% restocking fee.
  • We do not authorize exchanges of product in any circumstance.
  • Please allow 4-5 weeks for your return process to be completed for refund.
there is also a long list of complaints against them -
https://www.bbb.org/us/ky/london/profile/trailer-parts/rv-parts-country-0392-9113563/complaints

In the end it's your choice - but sometimes if a price is too good to be true, it probably is.

---break

as far as the CFX-40W goes - it's an amazing piece of kit for the JLU. it fits in the back like a glove. My slide won't be here until tomorrow; I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood for a base for the entire back area (I made a template from package wrapping paper, and put that on the 4x4 sheet of plywood, drew straight lines and cut it out). Once my slide arrives I'll mount that and put the fridge on it - but with just the fridge in there, I have enough room on the passenger side for my large tub, and the fridge fits on the driver side.

I need to wire it into my anderson pole distro to get it out of the socket (so i can move it more to the driver wall) but it fits in there great. The ARB model was about an inch or two longer and I saw was causing problems for many trying to install.

jeep-fridge.PNG

I had actually built a mock-up of the CFX-50W - it also fit (my concern was I have a vector GBB shelf with 22" of clearance). but as I stood in the back of the Jeep and "slid" the 50w out to use, I really felt out of space (because the 50w opens lengthwise while the 40w opens edge-wise). I highly recommend before purchasing either that you stand back there like you're using it and go through the motions. I have a tailgater table inbound so I definitely didn't have room between the two.

as a final note - the Dometic handles also come off if you need the extra bit of space (and it bolts to the slide through the feet).

For me - the CFX-40W was the perfect choice - but I chose to pay more for it ($720 on amazon) due to the numerous horror stories about rvpartscountry. buyer beware
Other than the slow order processing, rvpartscountry's customer service was great keeping in touch and following up with my questions, both through email and phone. Sorry if you need to justify spending the extra $$$, but I'm speaking from first hand experience, and I'll leave it at that.

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
Other than the slow order processing, rvpartscountry's customer service was great keeping in touch and following up with my questions, both through email and phone. Sorry if you need to justify spending the extra $$$, but I'm speaking from first hand experience, and I'll leave it at that.
and I'll leave the reviews of over 25 people in the past 12 months speak for their company. I never need to justify anything - I'm my own boss, and can spend what I want on what I care to.

to base a company reputation on the experience of a single person would be foolhardy; I'm happy for you that you had a great buying experience, but the experience of 25+ others would strongly disagree with yours. Hopefully all who purchase through a company do their research on that company prior to ordering.

I'll leave it at that.

OP
OP
JK47

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
and I'll leave the reviews of over 25 people in the past 12 months speak for their company. I never need to justify anything - I'm my own boss, and can spend what I want on what I care to.

to base a company reputation on the experience of a single person would be foolhardy; I'm happy for you that you had a great buying experience, but the experience of 25+ others would strongly disagree with yours. Hopefully all who purchase through a company do their research on that company prior to ordering.

I'll leave it at that.
Lol, thanks for thread crapping, and if you took time to notice I didn't post the link or mention them in my original post because this thread is about the Dometic unit not vendors that you have no personal experience with.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Hey there.... on a more positive note about Dometic CFX-40. I have been running it on a Goal Zero Yeti 1000 for about a week. I new to this fridge freezer thing but I can say that there are unique temperature zones that the CFX 40 really likes to be at. With a high density load...and set to 36 the CFX requires much more power to run it than when the same thermal load is set at 28F. My logic is it the frozen thermal load helps keep the fridge more stable between opening the lid. Meaning it requires less energy to pump it back down to 28F. My waters are freezing nicely, Gatoraids and Powerades must have different freeze points. But can never get those cold enough in my opinion.

The operation of the compressor is quite. I never hear it when driving or sitting in the Jeep with the Engine off. If I am right next to it at the back, you and the compressor kicks in you can here it but other than that its likes its not there as far as sound goes.

Going to template the cargo area this weekend and get to that platform to get the slide in. Cant wait.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JK47

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The salt in Gatorade and other sport/electrolyte drink's lower the freezing point.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
OK for those of you who thought you might want the CFX WD to go with your CFX 40. Dont. I have two new units and am going to package and sell. The first thing is the Dometic site says the CFX WD works with "ALL" CFX fridges. Then after you order it on line, try it out you soon find out...it will not. In very small print on the side of the package, that you can see when buying on line, you will find that it only works CFX 28 and 65. Ummm so why does there website say it works for "ALL" ? Still havent heard back on that but dont waste your time trying to get one to work. Ugh !!!

OP
OP
JK47

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
OK for those of you who thought you might want the CFX WD to go with your CFX 40. Dont. I have two new units and am going to package and sell. The first thing is the Dometic site says the CFX WD works with "ALL" CFX fridges. Then after you order it on line, try it out you soon find out...it will not. In very small print on the side of the package, that you can see when buying on line, you will find that it only works CFX 28 and 65. Ummm so why does there website say it works for "ALL" ? Still havent heard back on that but dont waste your time trying to get one to work. Ugh !!!
On the Dometic website, it clearly says for units without WiFi.

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 8.12.50 AM.png

https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produ...accessories/dometic-coolfreeze-cfx-wd-_-61290

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Well...funny enough... try this link
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pr...ssories/dometic-cfx-wireless-display-_-152180

And this is what page said until yesterday:

The Dometic CFX-WD is a useful accessory for all CFX-series compressor coolers. The portable wireless display shows the internal temperature of the fridge from a distance. It comes with a two-levels temperature alarm setting, with audible and visual alarm, allowing you to monitor the cooling box.

They have changed it on their site for sure but Google still has the old index too. See below. Dometic screwed up. They are fixing it. Stuff happens.

Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 10.01.31 PM.png

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I'm still debating on just getting the CFX-28 over the 40. I only need it for 2 day trips so I doubt I need the space of the 40. I'd rather have more space in the back area. but I'm also finding their dimensions aren't that far off.

Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I debated on the 28 vs the 40 as well. Dimensions are so close I opted to go with the 40. I considered the 50 too but that takes up more than half the space. The clincher was the ability to get in tall bottles for me on the 40. Wine for the wife goes in nicely. Have to keep her happy or no more toys for the JEEP... LOL

lembowski

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Hey there.... on a more positive note about Dometic CFX-40. I have been running it on a Goal Zero Yeti 1000 for about a week. I new to this fridge freezer thing but I can say that there are unique temperature zones that the CFX 40 really likes to be at. With a high density load...and set to 36 the CFX requires much more power to run it than when the same thermal load is set at 28F. My logic is it the frozen thermal load helps keep the fridge more stable between opening the lid. Meaning it requires less energy to pump it back down to 28F. My waters are freezing nicely, Gatoraids and Powerades must have different freeze points. But can never get those cold enough in my opinion.

The operation of the compressor is quite. I never hear it when driving or sitting in the Jeep with the Engine off. If I am right next to it at the back, you and the compressor kicks in you can here it but other than that its likes its not there as far as sound goes.

Going to template the cargo area this weekend and get to that platform to get the slide in. Cant wait.
Is your set up still running strong? Costco has the Yeti 1000 marked down to $799 right now. I was originally waiting for the Dometic PLB40 battery they have coming out. But it is $849 with less AH than the Goal Zero. I am planning on the CFX40 as well. Is the Yeti 1000 overkill for the fridge?

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Is your set up still running strong? Costco has the Yeti 1000 marked down to $799 right now. I was originally waiting for the Dometic PLB40 battery they have coming out. But it is $849 with less AH than the Goal Zero. I am planning on the CFX40 as well. Is the Yeti 1000 overkill for the fridge?
My Dometic is working perfectly. My Yeti is doing great with the exception of the power brick that allows you to charge it. Under warranty so I expect a new one soon. Not sure what caused it to stop outputting. But at least its a simple fix.

Since then I have been running it at 34F with loads of drinks and food and use them all daily. Its been great.

Each day after use, I do come home and throw an extension chord threw the rear side window and plug them both in to AC. I am anal that way....just like to be sure the yeti is at full each day so I never have to worry about load size.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Update: the issue with power supply....nope. Had to return the Yeti....they shipped a replacement under warranty. No issues since.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
(edited)
Maybe someone can help me out.

I have a new dometic cfx35 in a 2019 JLUR with trailer package so AGM 75AH battery. I ran 20' of 10 gauge copper clad aluminum +/- wires from battery to a 12v outlet in the rear I put in for the fridge. the fridge draws 5-6 amps when compressor working fully, and it averages .77 amps (it is a variable speed compressor (hence variable power draw too). the only way to keep it running full speed for testing purposes is to turn on the emergency cooling switch, but if you don't do that it usually pulls 5-6 amps if it's at 50 deg and the setting is set for 10 degrees.

Interestingly, turning wifi on causes the fridge to use .18 amp at "idle" (compressor not running), with wifi off it only pulls .08 amps by my measurements at 12.2 V

I think the voltage drop at the fridge under full fridge load, 4-6 amps, is more than it should be (.52V to .82V) , and I think the dometic does a poor job of measuring the voltage it sees while running (reads .49V too low).

per calculator---
Wire Material copper
Wire Size 10
Voltage 12.3
Phase dc
Number of conductors single
Distance* 20 ft
Load current Amps 6

Voltage drop: 0.24
Voltage drop percentage: 1.95%
Voltage at the end: 12.06

I am not getting quite what I should be getting in terms of the voltage drop from battery to fridge.

Here are my numbers:

Fridge Off: battery 12.57V, measured at fridge it is 12.42V
Fridge On full power load: battery 12.37V, measured at fridge 11.79V (1.54% drop), and reported by the Dometic wifi app- 11.3V (.49V error?)

an hour later:
Fridge On full load battery 12.3V, measured at Fridge on dometics DC cable it is 11.48V (6.6% drop!!), Wifi reporting 10.9V
note on Medium protection setting, the unit did not switch off when it reported 10.9 by wifi, but eventually it did. I had to set it to Low which you aren't supposed to do using the vehicle battery.
With these readings, the battery protection setting of the dometic (low, med, high) don't seem to offer a sweet spot, it's too high or too low, at least that is true based on wifi reported voltage. the high setting is supposed to switch off at 11.8V, Med off at 11.4V, and Low off at 10.1 (way to low). Not sure which setting makes sense....... but I seem to have to use the low setting despite running 10 gauge wire from battery.

And the 6% voltage drop on the second measurement is suprising.....maybe I made a mistake somewhere there.

Any advice?
Sponsored

Last edited: