Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I guess it depends, lets call it ROI (return on investment). If the mod is something you need, go for it. But if you are lifting it 6 inches and putting 40's on it, I would serious rethink of a different gearing option. That is a lot of weight to get rolling down the road. Your mileage sucks, no torque, unless you get into gearing it correctly for the additional weight. You don't think they are going to Engineer your Jeep to be able to sustain "Tank" like add ons do you? Hell no you are now the (Jeep Addict) where you have to keep feeding the habit. Been there, and unless I use it everyday for mountain crawling.. Why would I do that? Looks from the chics? or better yet their jealous boyfriends. Love a Jeep with a winch, 37's, death suspension, that has never seen dirt!!!
ROI is how I look at things too. Couple of things come to mind that I don't think have the ROI, for me at least.

Tires are 1 of them. You can have 2 different 37" tires and they can vary in weight by 15#. This is actually one of the things that someone was disagreeing with me. I didn't want to add 40# of rotational, unsprung mass with little benefit. Maybe certain tires offer more benefit than I give credit. I don't have anything to compare it to, so I don't know.

The other thing that comes to mind is skids. I just added an engine/trans skid. For my needs, the factory gas tank and transfercase skid are working just fine. I can't justify adding 60-80# with no benefit. I'm not rock bashing stuff though.
Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My only extra weight comes currently from the rock sliders and 35" tires. I'll add aluminum transmission/oil pan protection, and that's it. I keep looking at suspension lifts and I don't find the enthusiasm to get one.

I don't have a winch or steel bumpers, alone for weight reasons. Yes, I'm a leech... I rely on the others in the group to have winches, which is always the case. I never go alone exploring; all my trips alone are very well planned so I don't get stuck.

Definitely no 100's of lbs in roof rack + RTT. Just a cot tent to keep me off the ground, while staying light. If I'm alone, I don't even need the tent. At 6'2" I can actually sleep diagonally in the rear of my JL quite comfortably.

My previous JK was a lot heavier. It was fun, but no need anymore.

I have my camping gear in plastic boxes, tool box, cooler, and I'm good to go. I love traveling light and still have everything I need.

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I was worried about weight in my build but with bumpers, rock rails, lift, tires/wheels, etc. nearly 1,000lbs were added and yet with the 4cyl and 8 speed auto there are no issues rock crawling or on highway driving. Feels still pretty much as stock on the road in terms of ride and power with the key exception being gas mileage which is about 16-17mpg on highway. Mileage is much better on slower back roads. Still passes with ease at 65mph and accelerates well up steep mountain passes like Vail Pass as an example. No regearing was done and I don't see a need to.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was worried about weight in my build but with bumpers, rock rails, lift, tires/wheels, etc. nearly 1,000lbs were added and yet with the 4cyl and 8 speed auto there are no issues rock crawling or on highway driving. Feels still pretty much as stock on the road in terms of ride and power with the key exception being gas mileage which is about 16-17mpg on highway. Mileage is much better on slower back roads. Still passes with ease at 65mph and accelerates well up steep mountain passes like Vail Pass as an example. No regearing was done and I don't see a need to.
I have been reevaluating regearing. Number of reasons but for one, I don’t feel I need to. Never crossed my mind until we bought a travel trailer. Then found we were spending a lot of time in 5th and 6th gear. But after tons of looking and playing with gear calculators, my “new” 6th and 7th is the same end gear. Down low is not where I have the problem. Like you said, the engine and trans just handles it.

we recently bought a grand Cherokee, so for as often as I’ll need the rubicon to pull the travel trailer, I might invest gear money elsewhere.

RidgeRider

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding belly pans, it's expensive but the Artec full aluminum pan only adds 10-15 lbs over stock as it eliminates several of the stock steel skid plates. It also provides another 1/2" of ground clearance and is built with flush fasteners to enable a smooth skid over rock ledges etc. I went for it on mine and am very happy with it and it has been put to work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Regarding belly pans, it's expensive but the Artec full aluminum pan only adds 10-15 lbs over stock as it eliminates several of the stock steel skid plates. It also provides another 1/2" of ground clearance and is built with flush fasteners to enable a smooth skid over rock ledges etc. I went for it on mine and am very happy with it and it has been put to work.
If I ever go fully belly pan, that’s the only way to go. Awesome product.

I want to find an aluminum rear bumper that I like but still haven’t found the perfect one. That’s another place you can save 60 lbs over some steel options.

scarleton

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
Software Developer
Mike,

I only read through the first page of replies and didn't see one key question answered: What is your focus/concern in keeping it light?

In the end, EVERYTHING has it's plus and minus. For ME and ME along, what is most important is a gas mile and handling in daily driving. In both cases, weight matters. From what I understand about the subject shaving of 1 pound of weight that is NOT supported by the suspension system is like taking 10 pounds off what is suspended. Thus if you want improved handling, look at lighter axles, control arms, breaks, rims, tires. Of course, the downside to all this is they won't be as strong off-road. everything is a give and take.

OP
OP
Halstem1

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey @scarleton . This is good info. My focus has always been just keeping the vehicle a good daily driver and not "over buillding" to the point it performed horrible on road as well as less capable off road. Not to mention, I feel like when you build up one thing, it leads to another weak link that needs attention. and then another.. and so on.

This whole idea of sprung weight verse unsprung weight is new to me. Thats probably the biggest takeaway I've gotten so far from the thread. For MY specific use, there are several lighter weight options I can choose and be PLENTY strong enough for what I need. Or until I break one of those things and then can reevaluate.

For example, the conversation came up talking about wheels and tires. I have always run BFGs but i also prefer them because they are lighter than some alternatives. At the time we were looking at another jeep that had heavy wheels and Nitto Trail Grapplers on a daily driver. If I'm understanding correctly from the comments so far, my thought process of keeping a relatively lighter wheel/tire combo is to my benefit for my uses. 15# per wheel would have a significant impact on performance. Similarly, I was comparing some control arms. One uses 0.25" DOM and the other is still strong and reputable but uses 0.185 DOM... Beings that weight is unsprung weight and I don't need the strength of the larger DOM, I would benefit from the saved weight.

Relately, should I be less concerned with sprung weight or weight that is supported by the suspension? For example, skids and bumpers? Obviously they matter still, but its not worth picking one brand over the other based on 5-10#.

I'll throw this all out the door in 5 years when this becomes my toy vehicle. Already told the wife I'm doing Hemi and 1 tons when its paid off. ha. But until then I enjoy good gas mileage and taking 1000 mile road trips and driving to and from work.

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
There has been a lot of great replies here so no need repeat but center of gravity needs to always be a concern. Outside of unsprung wheels and tire weight, lower is better. Offset wheels can also help lower center of gravity.

Many years ago I built very light Suzuki sidekick build and with wheel Offset, even after 2.5" lift, center of gravity was lower than stock. It handled like a go-cart .

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Light is might.

Pick a challenging, technical hike and go hike it. Now go do it again the next day with a 65# pack on your pack. Suddenly climbs are harder (engine) descents are harder (brakes) and your knees and back hurt (springs and axles)
Great Perfect example! I have a neighbor (of course) that has the winch, and a Hi Jacker, Jerry cans, roof rack, and who knows what else. I can assure you that he has never used any of it in the 2 years I have known him. He uses it as his Daily Driver as well. So he is just packing around a ton of unused weight....Oh, but it looks good.. Ha Ha

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeep felt stock with a small lift and 315/70/17's. Added a LoD front bumper and winch and that made a huge difference in handling and braking for the worse. I would definitely say weight matters.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
My Jeep felt stock with a small lift and 315/70/17's. Added a LoD front bumper and winch and that made a huge difference in handling and braking for the worse. I would definitely say weight matters.
Hey but you can pay $1200 a wheel and shave off 40lbs. Titanium alloy.