Sponsored

Does extra weight of diesel cause concern for rolling?

inorganik

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I am in the market for a new JL, and I love the diesel option. I've driven all three engines, the diesel is easily my favorite. However when I think back to when I rented a Jeep in Moab last fall, and some of the weird angles I had the vehicle at, I am concerned about the extra 400 lbs in the diesel, especially when the vehicle is lifted.

If I imagine doing the same wheeling I did in Moab (Fins n' things, Hell's Revenge) with a 400 lb human in the front seat with me, it does make me nervous about rolling, granted, the weight would be lower on the vehicle. I'm curious what you all think about the extra weight of the diesel and its effect on wheeling.
Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Just my opinion but I think you said it. The engine is so low in the Jeep I would guess no. For that matter you can make the argument the heavier engine could help keep it from toppling.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I guess I’d think more about 400 more lbs over the front axle than other Rubicons in regards to them possibly getting away with more abuse. Shrug

Sponsored

OP
OP
inorganik

inorganik

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i'm going to say no. beside if you do a little searching on the web. you will find other 4x4 like toyota fj, land rover defenders, and any other older models had diesel motors.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
For the little time I have had my diesel (now constantly a shop queen) the weight did not make much of a difference. It does feel heavy but has a limited effect. I have off-roaded twice and have been in a couple dicey situations (once where I was carrying a few hundred pounds of payload and it all shifted to a single side of the vehicle in mud) and I thought the excess weight could possibly flip the vehicle. Both times came out unscathed and worked better than expected.

A non issue IMO. You should be more worried about the EGR issues and other technical issues that could possibly hamper the engine. Not the weight.

UTES

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Sahara, 2018 AMG GT, 2019 MB GLC
Occupation
Retired LEO
I think the trend we're seeing in this thread is accurate, the Diesel engine does not increase the odds of rolling the Jeep.

We've got several of those "clover leaf" circular freeway onramps. I've tried charging through them with the new JLU Sahara and the handling has impressed me. This is easily the best on-road handling I've seen in a Jeep. It's stable and well-planted. And, though some have reported steering problems, I have not experienced them.

Seriously, I've owned every off-road Jeep made since 1980 (my first CJ5) and the 2020 Jeep Wrangler Diesel easily tops the old Jeeps. In some ways, it reminds me of the handling upgrade seen when the TJ off-road Jeep came out.

Hunter
Sponsored