First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Rubicon, Ocean Blue, 6spd
Occupation
Real Estate
I live in Chicago and the city loves to coat the roads with their salt mix. Does anyone know if the rock rails will rust? With that being said does anyone know (in the Chicago area) someone that can install a nice undercoating for me to prevent under body rust?
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Any exposed steel will eventually rust. So if your rails get scraped up, just touch up with a quick shot of spray paint. Or you can always get yourself some 3M Rubberized undercoating and spray the underside of the jeep yourself. It's around $5-$7 a can but will save you hundreds, maybe even a $1000, than having someone else do it. I sprayed the entire frame on my TJ and underside of the body with 6 cans. But on positive note, I've seen several articles about a possible road salt shortage this year, so one can hope.

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered some ACF-50 and I sprayed my underside a couple of weeks ago. Very easy to apply- took me maybe an hour to get everything. It actually cleared up some rust on the drive shaft and other small parts that are not protected very well. We will see how it holds up but overall it gets really good reviews. I will probably spray it down every fall if it holds up well this winter- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G42NR7G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just a note on some of the "undercoating" sprays- they have a tendency to hold moisture, so if there is a scratch that goes through the undercoating then it can actually make the rust worse. Not buying or selling just something to think about.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Simon311
@ACE Engineering

Rubi rails are steel and they are coated and yes, will rust over the long haul, especially if scratched, etc..

I have had Rubi rails or as you called them "rock rails" on a few JK's over the years. Also, have had Ace Slider's on the same vehicles.

A product I have used for many years, now that protects the Rubi rails and the Ace Slider's, along with keeping them looking great is a product called Pig Spit. Talk about something that does the deed.

Just wash the Rubi rails and or Ace Slider's, let them dry well and then spray say 2 light coats of Pig Spit on them. Let the Pig Spit dry...

Now, if you like a slight sheen as the end result do nothing further.... but, it you like a more subdued appearance, just take a clean cloth and wipe the Rubi's and Ace's down slightly.

Regardless of whether you wipe lightly or no, do know that your goodies have a protective coating that also looks great.

I have used Pig Spit on my Harley FatBoy 01 for over 17 years. The black heads on that FatBoy look as black and almost as new as they did back in 2001. Also, keeps the Wrangler Rubi Rails and Ace Slider's looking like new also.

Pig Spit Original:

https://www.amazon.com/Pig-Spit-PSO...pID=31Eo4TbUbvL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

71G+nmwrIiL._SL1500_.jpg

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Just a note on some of the "undercoating" sprays- they have a tendency to hold moisture, so if there is a scratch that goes through the undercoating then it can actually make the rust worse. Not buying or selling just something to think about.
You actually bring up a good point. It's not uncommon for the underside of any vehicle to be neglected. Especially when it comes to washing and keeping clean. Often times people may spray, or have someone else spray, the underside with a undercoating. I used to be the one applying the undercoating at the Jeep dealer I worked at years ago. Like a lot of things with any vehicle, undercoating isn't a one time thing. There is some maintenance and upkeep with it. Ideally it should be touched up once a year, and with the MOPAR undercoainting respraying was free as long as your bought the protection plan. But if you let it go for extended periods of time, ie several years, then there's a greater chance of it drying out, cracking and capturing moisture and debris. It will be insignificant at first but it does increase the chance for rusting. When I was reapplying the undercoating to vehicles, if I had to wash the underside first it could be a two day process to allow everything to properly dry before respraying. I would also scrape away any cracked or loose undercoating with a putty knife to ensure complete and total coverage. If it's done every year, there was hardly anything that had to be scrapped off, but the longer people waited the more I had to remove.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
@Simon311
@ACE Engineering

Rubi rails are steel and they are coated and yes, will rust over the long haul, especially if scratched, etc..

I have had Rubi rails or as you called them "rock rails" on a few JK's over the years. Also, have had Ace Slider's on the same vehicles.
What were “rubi rails” called prior to the rubicon model? Perhaps rock rails, rocker guards, sliders, are all interchangable to a certain degree so lets just chill.
Sponsored

Last edited: