Sponsored

DIY: Add USB Port into Upper Dash Tray

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I added a USB port to the upper dash tray to charge devices while in the phone mount and not have a loose cord dangling all over the place. My JL is a base sport with the garbage 5" Uconnect so I only wanted power not CarPlay compatibility.

EDIT: I later discovered that the AUX wire bundle comes with an "ignition on" wire and "always hot" wire for accessories, in addition to the 4 buttons. I moved power from the cigarette lighter to the "ignition on" wire accordingly.

End product:
IMG_20200111_200329.jpg

Parts:
The USB port is USB-C, USB-A QC, and a voltmeter. I had this on hand from a different project but skip the voltmeter because it does reflect onto the windshield at night. If it bothers me I'll just put some black tape on it.
Mount is a Bulletproof Mounting Systems 2-ball JL mount.
Misc wires, connectors, and T-tap. Multimeter to confirm hot wire on cigarette lighter.
Phillips screwdriver for trim screw removal, 10mm for ground bolt. Wire strippers and pliers for the electrical.

I started by removing the HVAC controls, radio, and lower dash as seen in this video: Note to self, buy trim removal tools next trip to Harbor Freight.

With those parts removed, you can see the underside of the dash tray. Be careful where you drill the holes for the USB port, you need to leave clearance to put the radio back in without hitting the new USB port sticking down. Drill more towards the engine side of the tray, I centered it and got lucky because it's pretty close to the back of the radio. I don't know if Uconnect 7/8 are deeper, check before you drill.
IMG_20200111_170623.jpg
IMG_20200111_171024.jpg
IMG_20200111_171433.jpg

I ran two wires down along the existing wiring bundle, one for power tapped into the cigarette lighter and one for ground to a bolt behind the HVAC controls. There is minimal metal up near the dash tray for a ground. I don't have anything that uses the cigarette lighter so I'm not concerned about tapping in there, and never using that and the USB at the same time.
EDIT: I later discovered that the AUX wire bundle comes with an "ignition on" wire and "always hot" wire for accessories, in addition to the 4 buttons. I moved power from the cigarette lighter to the "ignition on" wire accordingly.

IMG_20200111_165824.jpg
IMG_20200111_173142.jpg

IMG_20200111_174219.jpg

IMG_20200111_174325.jpg

Trim the rubber dash tray insert to fit the phone mount and the USB port. Don't try and use the same hole saw as it will grab the rubber and walk, scratching it all up :mad:. Use a razor blade and go slow.
IMG_20200111_200329.jpg

Button everything back up and don't forget to put the screw back into the radio surround trim like I did. Next time I have the dash apart I'll put it back in. The port I ordered came with a dust cover which I will use if it's dusty or may get water in it.

IMG_20200111_200351.jpg

I haven't ordered cables yet as I wanted to measure length from the port, down the mount arm, and to the phone. I'll probably get 90° cables so it tucks in nice.

IMG_20200111_201820.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Stomper

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Good Job and Great info! I'm going to do the same thing.

Mr_nico

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2.0T 2019
I added a USB port to the upper dash tray to charge devices while in the phone mount and not have a loose cord dangling all over the place. My JL is a base sport with the garbage 5" Uconnect so I only wanted power not CarPlay compatibility.

Parts:
The USB port is USB-C, USB-A QC, and a voltmeter. I had this on hand from a different project but skip the voltmeter because it does reflect onto the windshield at night. If it bothers me I'll just put some black tape on it.
Mount is a Bulletproof Mounting Systems 2-ball JL mount.
Misc wires, connectors, and T-tap. Multimeter to confirm hot wire on cigarette lighter.
Phillips screwdriver for trim screw removal, 10mm for ground bolt. Wire strippers and pliers for the electrical.
I started by removing the HVAC controls, radio, and lower dash as seen in this video: Note to self, buy trim removal tools next trip to Harbor Freight.
With those parts removed, you can see the underside of the dash tray. Be careful where you drill the holes for the USB port, you need to leave clearance to put the radio back in without hitting the new USB port sticking down. Drill more towards the engine side of the tray, I centered it and got lucky because it's pretty close to the back of the radio. I don't know if Uconnect 7/8 are deeper, check before you drill.
I ran two wires down along the existing wiring bundle, one for power tapped into the cigarette lighter and one for ground to a bolt behind the HVAC controls. There is minimal metal up near the dash tray for a ground. I don't have anything that uses the cigarette lighter so I'm not concerned about tapping in there, and never using that and the USB at the same time.
Trim the rubber dash tray insert to fit the phone mount and the USB port. Don't try and use the same hole saw as it will grab the rubber and walk, scratching it all up :mad:. Use a razor blade and go slow.
Button everything back up and don't forget to put the screw back into the radio surround trim like I did. Next time I have the dash apart I'll put it back in. The port I ordered came with a dust cover which I will use if it's dusty or may get water in it.
I haven't ordered cables yet as I wanted to measure length from the port, down the mount arm, and to the phone. I'll probably get 90° cables so it tucks in nice.
Good write up! I've been wanting to do something like this as was originally considering Qi wireless charging to the mount but I want car play so need to extend one of the factory USB's although I might go this route for a Qi power connector for the passenger

AnthemAVM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Thanks for the write up, I was just going to run a long usb from the storage compartment between the seats.

Do you think with those items removed I can weave the wire in?

Thanks

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
I really like this idea. I was thinking of something similar to help hide charging plugs.
Was there ever a thought to run the head unit USB to the dash and tap into the cigarette lighter for the factory USB in the "Media" area?
Cigarette tap to number 2 below. (by doing this, you still have an active USB to charge only, with the head unit USB on the upper dash, allowing Apple CarPlay)
upload_2020-4-3_18-26-11.png

From the image below, I don't believe this to be the JL head unit.
For example purposes, run USB 1 to the dash, tap into the cigarette lighter for the 'Media' USB, (old CarPlay USB).
upload_2020-4-3_18-21-22.png

I hope this makes sense. My explanatory skills are pretty bad when it comes to vehicles.

Sponsored

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Great idea!!
Anybody do this with the 8.5" radio?? Is there enough clearance?
I was thinking of replacing the cigarette lighter in the dash with one of these(looks to be the same hole size) and it would be nice to have the voltmeter visible... Going to check today..

Stomper

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Great idea!!
Anybody do this with the 8.5" radio?? Is there enough clearance?
I was thinking of replacing the cigarette lighter in the dash with one of these(looks to be the same hole size) and it would be nice to have the voltmeter visible... Going to check today..
I would bet you can do it with the 8.4 also, It's a thin head unit also.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I added it to the dash because I thought it would be handy to have the voltmeter visible..
(just ordered the red one for the dash, the blue will install in the top tray if it fits)
905577897984_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=JeL7CzDK610AX-hUq4v&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.jpg

OP
OP
EDH_JL

EDH_JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Edited my original post to add that I later discovered the AUX wire bundle comes with an "ignition on" wire and "always hot" wire for accessories, in addition to the 4 buttons. I moved power from the cigarette lighter to the "ignition on" wire accordingly.

Sponsored

emoody007

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2.0 Turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also one of those guys who doesn't like loose cords all over the place. However the only thing I really use is my cell phone for Android Auto. Normally I can just plug my phone into the USB port inside the center console and can do almost everything from the 8.4". But I recently installed the Burger Motorsports JB4 with bluetooth and I liked seeing all the gauges on the app. I wasn't happy with many of the mounting solutions because they were either too much money for a single device or I didn't like the placement. The only one I was thinking about buying was the ProClip but by the time I got everything that I needed it seemed a bit pricey for what it was, so I saw someone else using the Bracketron Roadtripper and liked the way they had it mounted and placed and it seemed perfect for what I needed. Then came the problem of the USB cord tangling and being in the way. Since my phone was going to be used for Android Auto and the JB4 app it needed to be plugged in and visible here's how I handled the USB.
Removed the radio to check clearances and drilled a small 3/4" hole in the top tray then ran the cable down and tucked it under the center shifter and center console plastic down the transmission hump back to the center console. In the center console I found a nice spot with space underneath it that I could cut the same 3/4" hole to run the USB up to the USB2 outlet for power and media. Both the dash and center console rubber mats went back into place without any real issues and now I have a cable ran that's not visible. A little simpler and rogue than the previous post but it works for me and I think it looks pretty good.

jeepusb4.jpg

jeepusb2.jpg

jeepusb5.jpg

jeepusb.jpg

jeepudb6.jpg

jeepusb6.jpg

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I see at least one person has used the ignition wire from the aux switch bundle to power a dual usb port. I'm thinking of adding a few ports just for charging to the passenger side under/around the glove box. Is there any issue with the aux wiring/fuse handling the load?

Any advice on adding the ports in this location? I'd rather not pull the radio... These ports would be used to charge either a second phone, a Garmin in-reach and/or my iPad running Gaia GPS.

Any help would be appreciated!

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I see at least one person has used the ignition wire from the aux switch bundle to power a dual usb port. I'm thinking of adding a few ports just for charging to the passenger side under/around the glove box. Is there any issue with the aux wiring/fuse handling the load?

Any advice on adding the ports in this location? I'd rather not pull the radio... These ports would be used to charge either a second phone, a Garmin in-reach and/or my iPad running Gaia GPS.

Any help would be appreciated!
Bump.

Planning on using the Ignition/ACC wire in the aux switch bundle in the passenger foot well. I believe that has a 10amp fuse which I believe should be fine for a dual usb plug. Is there any issue doing this? I will be working on this next weekend as well as wiring a compressor and GMRS radio so I'm hoping to order what I need in the next day or two so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
Bump.

Planning on using the Ignition/ACC wire in the aux switch bundle in the passenger foot well. I believe that has a 10amp fuse which I believe should be fine for a dual usb plug. Is there any issue doing this? I will be working on this next weekend as well as wiring a compressor and GMRS radio so I'm hoping to order what I need in the next day or two so any recommendations would be appreciated.
anybody?
is the aux ignition wire fused? if so what fuse # is it in fuse box?

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
I added it to the dash because I thought it would be handy to have the voltmeter visible..
(just ordered the red one for the dash, the blue will install in the top tray if it fits)
Jeep Wrangler JL DIY: Add USB Port into Upper Dash Tray jeepusb6
How is the original cigarette lighter attached in the dash, would you wish to replace it by something like you did? Can you "click" the original simply out, or is there more involved?
Sponsored