Sponsored

How to remove the top of the dash to get at the storage tray?

RGlideKid

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all,
I am kicking around the idea of mounting a Garmin 6" GPS into the tray on top of my Sahara dashboard using a RAMmount system with these components:

Rammount RAP-B-138U Double Ball Flat Surface Mount, and a
Rammount RAM-HOL-GA67U RAM Mounts Cradle Holder

This setup would require me to find a way to mount the round base plate down into the tray, by either using small bolts or by some other means (velcro, 3M tape?). The arm and cradle would then allow me to have my GPS centered directly above the 7" Uconnect screen, while keeping it well below my line of sight out the front. It would also keep the GPS further out of the sunlight and allow me to angle/twist it to any position I like.
Initially, I would like to take the tray out to have a look for clearance under it for some other idea of how to best mount the RAM arm (or re-think my plans for using RAM components.

Any ideas would be appreciated, and directions on how to remove that tray on an '18 JLU Sahara would be even more appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Technology Incident Management
Vehicle Showcase
Ever get anywhere with this?

OP
OP
RGlideKid

RGlideKid

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ever get anywhere with this?
Somewhat. I was able to remove the top/front piece (leather on the Sahara, or is it pleather?), but removing the top horizontal plastic piece across the width of the dash just in front of the windshield proved to be a mother bear. I decided rather than tear anything up that I will either wait for someone to pave the way in front of me (be the guinea pig!), or I will develop a new method of securing a gps with the Rammounts - which I am already working on. The new method will be non-destructive and won't require removing all the dash to get at the underside of the tray. Stay tuned!

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I just finished mounting my Garmin GPS on the top of my Dash. What I did, was remove the plastic trim where the heater knobs are, remove the trim around the radio and then remove the radio. Then I ran the wire from the cigarette lighter tucked it in behind all that trim and snaked it up through a hole that I had to drill in my tray base. Then I put the little rubber tray back in and assembled everything and it looks perfect. Looks clean.

15723615626671865536714.jpg
Sponsored